Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 07:57 AM

6 posts, read 16,932 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am getting married to a USCG member in June 2009 and he just got orders today to Fort Macon.... which is in Atlantic Beach, NC!!! We are soo excited for our new start together. He currently lives in Cape May, NJ and I am in Chesapeake, VA. Soooo... I was wondering if anyone knows of great areas. My priorities are SCHOOLS first, HOUSING COST second and DRIVE TO FT. MACON third. Any advice would really help. I will also be needing a job, ideas on employers in the area, I currently am a Office Manager at an architectural firm. Thanks soo much!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 10:07 AM

1,681 posts, read 6,027,163 times
The chart below will give you an idea of the cost of housing in the area. The prices listed are sold price-Not list price and are for homes (not condos) only. All of these towns are within 15 minutes of Fort Macon.
Shoot me a PM if I can be of further assistance!! You'll love it down here!

Take Care,
Bill

http://www.crystalcoastrealestatetv.com/tv/12_10_08.jpg (broken link)

Old 12-10-2008, 07:10 PM

69 posts, read 224,053 times
What are your children's ages? There are not many schools to choose from. Some private but mostly public. If you are in Atlantic Beach or Morehead City, there is only one school district. For example, we own a house in Morehead City (winter residence) and a house in Atlantic Beach ( summer residence) and when we move back and forth the kids stay at the same schools. Crazy but true. Very small community. Very safe for children to grow up in. They might, as they grow older, think is is boring.
Just my opinion......

Old 12-11-2008, 01:46 PM

6 posts, read 16,932 times
Ok, my kids are 8, 6, 4.... I am thinking of Emerald Isle... I researched alittle and really like White Oak Elem. Anyone know about that school? We are hoping to RENT, no buy.

Old 12-13-2008, 06:43 PM

Don't know much about White Oak Elem. My nephew went there. I can ask my sister for you. I know the middle school in your district is Broad Creek Middle. I picked up my nephew a few times and boy was I impressed. You can Google the school I'm sure. Emerald Isle is a very nice place to live, especially in the summer for the kids. Traffic will be bad though. Will your husband be stationed in EI or AB?

Old 12-13-2008, 06:48 PM

I just reread your post. Sorry. Fort Macon is about 30 minutes from Emerald Isle. I would still choose EI over AB. You could also try Morehead City. A lot of nice stores opening up in Morehead City, so exciting!
my email is nrice@ec.rr.com if you want more info

Old 12-19-2008, 06:54 AM

79 posts, read 313,360 times
EI has quite a few rental properties but I'm not sure you'd enjoy living there full time and commuting to Fort Macon. The speed limit is 35/45 mph from EI all the way to Atlantic Beach and the drive feels like it takes forever. The tourist traffic in the summer can be downright annoying if you live there full time and are just trying to go about your daily routine. Otherwise, it's a nice place to live and gives you easy access to the beaches and sounds. It's very laid back there.

Morehead City might be a good choice though since it's just a hop, skip, and jump from AB and probably has rental properties that aren't quite as pricey as EI. They're starting to get some good stores there and has all of the staples that you'll need.

Old 02-05-2009, 08:46 AM

1 posts, read 4,443 times
We are relocating there too! we've been puddle hoppers for a few years and i have family down there. I can suggest a few areas if you let me know what your looking for. you can contact me via yahoo messenger or email me at eanda02@yahoo] -rue

Old 02-05-2009, 08:59 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,077 times
There is also St. Egbert's Catholic school in Morehead City. It's close to the bridge that goes over to Atlantic Beach.

Old 02-05-2009, 09:00 AM

447 posts, read 1,619,077 times
Pine Knoll Shores is between Atlantic Beach and Emerald Isle. It has some nice wooded lots with homes for rent. Check that out too. My brother rents there and loves it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina