U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2006, 10:51 PM

505 posts, read 2,314,668 times

Advertisements

I would not worry about the Hurricanes unless you live on the ocean. Inland areas will be fine uness you are in a flood zone, or have a ton of trees in your yard.

Hey Bethany,

whats up with snow Hill these days? Any growth going on? Last time I drove through I saw some growth along the 58/258 area downtown. Anything new?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2006, 07:08 AM

8 posts, read 29,129 times
My brother has a house in the historical section of Wilmington on Ann street. That area does not seem to be affected by hurricanes at all. There are large trees, and the area is high, so it's not likely to flood. I don't live or work there, but when I visits it's a wonderful time. There is a new interstate that cuts over from I-40 taking you right into downtown. You can walk around downtown at night with zero fear of crime. The entire waterfront has a free wireless network... there are benches in the park and fountains, and a growing community of people that arrive there just to sit on the benches, surf on their notebook computers, and absorb the atmosphere.

The beach is a pretty good drive from the historic section - maybe 10-15 mins... but the beach is beautiful. I love the look of the beach houses on Wrightsville, Carolina and Kure beaches, but they're the ones at risk during the hurricanes.

Old 09-21-2006, 10:15 AM

787 posts, read 3,323,396 times
Well, it is still largely rural as it has been since 1799 when Snow Hill was incorporated. I think the new mayor we have had is really trying to bring Snow Hill into it own so to speak. But he is the first African-American mayor the county has ever had and if he is 34 years old he is doing well. He is also the youngest mayor ever elected into the county as well. He unseated the mayor that was getting elderly but had no intentions of resigning when he won his first term in 2002 I believe it was. I don't even know if Don was even 30 when he was first elected. During the early part of this century we have had 2 new drug stores built and the area right at the cemetery has come up a lot. There is a new steak house there, a Bojangles, McDonalds was already there and then they build a Hess mart on the corner of Hwy 58 and SE Second street. The biggest news is the dialysis center that they are building were Snow Hill Plumbing and Heating use to be. That should be completed soon. There is a new development across from the First Baptist Church on Kingold Blvd called Hunter's Trace. There is a swimming pool and tennis court and other thing for the residents there. My mother built a house in there 2 years ago and hers was about the 4th to be built there. Now there are two under construction and about 3 more that have been built and occupied. On the western end of the county near West Greene School is another housing development call Gensis Hills. That is an income based area that is booming fast as well. And at the eastern end of the county down Green Acres Rd is Planters Walk. So there has been a lot of construction going on over the past 10 years or so. Although I am not sure who is moving in where. My mother lived in Wayne County for a number of years but after he last husband died and she is approaching 90, she decided that it would probably be better to move back here where I was and her sister, who is 14 years younger than she is are. Her brother died in 2003 right before she moved. My oldest sister comes down and stays about 2 weeks out of the month here with her and my husband goes and checks on her the rest of the time. I call but because of my own health issues I have about sworn off driving. It is just easier for him to go by there on his way home. And the neighbors keep a watch on her as well. So I guess what remains to be seen is how these developments affect us. The GTS is only about 15 miles from us so people working there in Kinston could live in Snow Hill where the housing costs are a lot less and also we get a lot of Seymour Johnston folks living here as well since we are about 17 miles from Goldsboro. And they would be even closer to Goldsboro if they built near the Shine area of the county off of Hwy 13.

Old 05-23-2007, 01:11 PM

7 posts, read 39,522 times
So, happydawglady it has been a while since your original post. Did you move to Wilmington and, if so, where did you relocate?

We are moving there in the next 4-6 weeks (hubby works for GE) and we just returned from a home search expedition. There is a sewer/water moratorium on new buildings right now, so new homes are well/septic. We are avoiding the Leland/Pender Co areas, even though they are less expensive, primarily because of the difficulties with flooding. There are some great deals to be had in those areas, however!

Hope it worked out well for you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina