U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2009, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 17,628 times

Advertisements

I'm from NJ so I know all about them. How bad are they in areas surrounding Wilmington (New Hanover/Brunswick counties)? The map I have shows lots of marsh areas. I'm curious because we may be relocating, for job reasons, from CO to the area. Mosquitos don't exist in Colorado Springs but I'm very excited at the thougt of moving back to the coast. TIA, Erin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2009, 01:10 PM

1,810 posts, read 3,280,203 times
They're not as bad as I thought they'd be, I'm from Massachusetts and we seemed to have as many mosquitos there as here.

While the mosquitoes aren't as bad as I'd expected, the biting flies, ticks, fleas, noseeums, and fire ants more than compensate.

Old 06-28-2009, 02:59 PM

116 posts, read 375,878 times
I'm from Massachusetts too and I agree with your opinion about the mosquitos here, I thought the black flies up north in the Spring were a nuisance, but the no see ums are miserable here, I can't do any gardening without being attacked. Repelants don't work, but we do get the trucks in the summer spraying insecticides in the neighborhood which does help, I believe they stopped doing that in Massachuttes years ago.
Correct me if I'm wrong but most of the marshy areas around here have salt water in them which mosquitos don't lay their eggs in.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:53 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,280,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robma44541 View Post
I'm from Massachusetts too and I agree with your opinion about the mosquitos here, I thought the black flies up north in the Spring were a nuisance, but the no see ums are miserable here, I can't do any gardening without being attacked. Repelants don't work, but we do get the trucks in the summer spraying insecticides in the neighborhood which does help, I believe they stopped doing that in Massachuttes years ago.
Correct me if I'm wrong but most of the marshy areas around here have salt water in them which mosquitos don't lay their eggs in.
The tidal creeks are brackish water (salt + fresh). They probably don't lay their eggs there, but there are plenty of other swamps and wet spots for them to breed in. I can't even leave a water dish outside for my dog & cats without seeing mosquito larvae squirming around in it after a day or two.

Old 06-29-2009, 11:25 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
I read somewhere that most mosquitoes only fly 100 yards TOTAL in their lives, so being NEAR marshes and such is not such an issue. You have a lot more to worry about with small puddles, damp spots and shrubs in your yard, by your home. The mosquitoes are so bad in my garden, I cannot stand it. Good Luck

Old 06-29-2009, 11:54 AM

6 posts, read 17,628 times
We still have our Mosquito Magnet from Jersey and it worked great there - that and spraying Cutter's all over the yard. Thanks everyone!

Old 07-01-2009, 03:56 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,974 times
"We still have our Mosquito Magnet from Jersey"

Sorry, but the very best "Mosquito Magnet" is from Poland.
(My wife)

I was speaking with a fellow who owns a pest control business a couple of weeks ago. he says that mosquitos tend to stay within a quarter mile area.

The severity of the mosquitos is greatly affected by how cold the prior winter was and how much rain we have over an extended period of time. The eggs can lay dormant for years and hatch under the proper "wet" conditions.

I have lived in the middle of a marsh and beside a marsh and have found no rhyme or reason (sometimes-Not all of the times) as to where and why mosquitos and deer flies live
Bill

Old 07-02-2009, 10:16 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,857,680 times
Please do not worry about mosquitoes in Eastern North Carolina.

This year, the entire mosquito population has decided to make our front and back yards their personal residence of choice and are happily employed in helping me lose weight from lowering my blood supply.

I'm happy to be able to offer this service in lessening their annoyance for you all...feel free to enjoy the rest of your summer.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:43 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,694,576 times
Dear Erinja,
You will get used to mosquitoes and how to deal with them, but it is true that in Eastern North Carolina, there are bunches of mosquitoes, along with all the other flying insects mentioned above.

The two best things you can do is: Buy a house with a screened porch, that is a deal-breaker for any place you live on the NC coast. And whenever you go outside, even if it's just in the yard to play catch, put a human-friendly bug repellent on ALL exposed skin and outer clothes. I keep my repellent by the door.

One good thing is, tho, in winter it's not so bad, and a stiff breeze on beach blow them away. As for the truth of mosquitoes, keep in mind all those movies about the tropics where they have mosquito netting... it ain't for looks.
GG

Old 07-04-2009, 05:52 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,175 posts, read 5,207,831 times
I actually think that the bugs in new england are way worse than in SE NC. at least the black flies and mosquitoes. more ticks and chiggers here. being near water, there are going to be more mosquitoes, but also more things to eat mosquitoes. for those of you not having any luck with insect repellents, I offer this suggestion. go to amazon or something, and order AVON skin so soft bath oil. mix it with some rubbing alcohol and put it in a spray bottle. squirt that stuff on you. it actually smells good, the alcohol cools your skin, and the insects will not come near you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina