Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2010, 03:40 PM

21 posts, read 85,771 times

Advertisements

question about this development and others like it,(Mimosa Bay, Eagles Watch, etc...). Whats the WORST that could happen should you buy a lot and build in one of these developments? The time for us to move is getting very close, and although I like all these places (and more) I'm scared to death something horrible will happen if we build in one of these. I just don't know what that could be.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 02:08 PM

1 posts, read 3,890 times
The worst that could happen is that you would need to move again in a year and lose some money.... If you don't foresee that happening, and aren't lumping all your eggs in one basket, so to speak - I say now is the time to buy! We are actually getting ready to build in Eagles Watch. I paid about 15K more for the lot than I could have elsewhere, and I am willing to concede the prices may drop a bit before they come back - but we fell in love with the neighborhood and I don't care who you are, the home you live in warrants making adding emotion into the decision process!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnowill View Post
question about this development and others like it,(Mimosa Bay, Eagles Watch, etc...). Whats the WORST that could happen should you buy a lot and build in one of these developments? The time for us to move is getting very close, and although I like all these places (and more) I'm scared to death something horrible will happen if we build in one of these. I just don't know what that could be.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:12 AM

291 posts, read 865,773 times
I think one of the main things I would be concerned about would be related to the amenities in these developments....how can a small number of home/lot owners paying dues support the large clubhouses, pools, tennis courts, etc.... I think I would pick a community that didn't have to support all of this unless it was well established...

Old 05-30-2010, 02:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,860 times
We visited Summerhouse two years ago. Thank God we didn't purchase a lot. At that time they were going anywhere from $175.000 up. When I questioned our sales person about some of the things I am reading here (ie, lots not selling, development not finished, etc. he kept saying that it wouldn't happen, they had sold X amount of lots, they had millions in reserve to keep everything moving, blah, blah, blah. ) Well low and behold. A lot of what we were concerned about is happening.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:15 PM

160 posts, read 786,355 times
I looked through the MLS lot listings for Summerhouse today and the lowest listing is now down to $11,000. It looks like prices continue to drop.

Old 06-02-2010, 07:08 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,002,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohnowill View Post

This would be near the top of my list as one of the WORST that could happen!

San Rio lot owners to sue developer over unfinished Shallotte subdivision | StarNewsOnline.com

Old 06-11-2010, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
This would be near the top of my list as one of the WORST that could happen!

[url=http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20090727/ARTICLES/907279993]San Rio lot owners to sue developer over unfinished Shallotte subdivision | StarNewsOnline.com[/url]
I'm still an owner at Summerhouse ... i saw that article you shared about the San Rio community so I googled it to see if there was an update ... (because that would be really scary if that happened to Summerhouse!)

Here's a more positive and more current news article about the San Rio community that I found (dated Jan 2010):
[url]http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100131/articles/100139987[/url]
San Rio development in Shallotte being resurrected | StarNewsOnline.com

(I hope the link I posted works -- I just signed up for an account on city-data.com and I'm not sure of how to make my hyperlinks work yet.)

Old 06-11-2010, 01:21 PM

3,026 posts, read 9,002,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OKGL View Post
I'm still an owner at Summerhouse ... i saw that article you shared about the San Rio community so I googled it to see if there was an update ... (because that would be really scary if that happened to Summerhouse!)

Here's a more positive and more current news article about the San Rio community that I found (dated Jan 2010):

(I hope the link I posted works -- I just signed up for an account on city-data.com and I'm not sure of how to make my hyperlinks work yet.)
I read that article and saw some activity at San Rio when we were down there last week. At least the property owners will be able to build on their lots. It will be interesting to see what amenities (if any) they end up building.

Here are some recent photos of the construction at Summerhouse (2010)-
Summerhouse on Everett Bay (http://www.summerhouseoneverettbay.com/summerhouse-everett-bay-image-gallery.cfm - broken link)

Looks like it is shaping up nicely

Old 11-08-2010, 04:33 PM

160 posts, read 786,355 times
Just an update. The Summerhouse community amenities are basically complete. The pool is finally finished. Lots are selling at a steady pace for $5,000 to $15,000. There are now two existing homes in the subdivision. I heard that HOA dues will increase with the next approved budget. Mind boggling for a 1200+ homesite subdivision with just two existing homes.

The next big wave of foreclosures is likely to come next year as lot owners that haven't already given up their property will be facing the mandatory 5 year build clause. Initially I had planned to jump on a $5,000 lot for investment purposes but I don't think this subdivision will ever recover. There never was and never will be a market for large high end homes in a town with a year around population of less than 1,000 people and the carrying costs on the lots are high. $150 monthly HOA dues (which is slated to go up) plus property taxes.

I could be wrong but I see a big battle coming. Lots are super cheap and attractive to track housing builders. Plus the only viable potential pool of buyers are military families stationed at Camp Lejeune. It will be interesting to see if minimum square foot entry level construction homes start popping up in Summerhouse in the next few years.

Old 11-22-2010, 08:19 AM

13 posts, read 43,947 times
Wow, what a thread. Great information here. I visisted that place sometime back and wish I had paid more attention then. I was just told by an agent recently that foreclosed lots could be purchased for around $15,000, yet some lots are still listed for over $100,000 by out of state buyers who are still trying to sell them perhaps? How much are the foreclosures selling for that are on the lakes? Will the subdivision ever reach a "normal" status?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina