U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-01-2009, 04:54 PM

132 posts, read 267,165 times
Default Whale watching off the coast of NC..

Does anyone know if it is possible to go whale watching off the coast in NC? If so, where is the best place to go?
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:02 PM

2,245 posts, read 5,666,657 times
There are dolphin watching cruises off the Outer Banks, but I don't know of any whale watching.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:10 PM

35,000 posts, read 41,176,228 times
Whale sightings are very rare off the NC coast. I have heard of Right and Humpback whales being occasionally seen in Dec and Jan. However, Right whales don't come up often, so even if they are nearby, they are not always easily noticed (unless seen from the air).

Have never heard of anyone actually scheduling a whale watching trip in NC - I guess b/c it would be very rare to spot one. The season for mariner warnings about whales off the coast of NC and SC is from Nov to April, as that is when they migrate south.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:27 AM

1,640 posts, read 3,373,144 times
A bit of Carteret County/Downeast History
The residents of Core Banks, Portsmouth Island and the east end of Shackleford Banks were whalers. In fact-about where Barden's Inlet is now (By Cape Lookout lighthouse) is where "Diamond City" used to be located. It was disbanned in the late 1890's due to a series of huricanes-Folks literally floated their houses across the sounds and settled places like Marshalberg, Morehead City (The Promised Land) and as far away as Salter Path)
When the residents weren't persuing whales-The went after purpoises.

The whales still follow the same migration pattern. It's basically a winter-early spring migration. The Feds issue warnings to boaters every year to be aware of their presence so as not to bump into them.

During my TV/Film days I produced a short on a Sea Grant program for Whale disentanglement.
The east side during the winter is not only a great place for whales-But other fish too. Sometimes these migrating whales encounter nets and get entagled. Not often, but it does occur.
There is a rapid response system in place to free them.
I sort of went off on a tangent-But the moral of the story is that whales are common here during the winter.
Bill

Old 07-02-2009, 08:43 AM

63 posts, read 142,201 times
Quote:
During my TV/Film days I produced a short on a Sea Grant program for Whale disentanglement.
The east side during the winter is not only a great place for whales-But other fish too. Sometimes these migrating whales encounter nets and get entagled. Not often, but it does occur.
There is a rapid response system in place to free them.
I sort of went off on a tangent-But the moral of the story is that whales are common here during the winter

Could you tell me if there are any sort of conservation groups around the area? I did a google search but could really find anything

Old 07-02-2009, 03:55 PM

1,640 posts, read 3,373,144 times
I am not aware of any conservaation groups-But certainly doesn't mean there aren't any.
Your best bet would be to contact the following groups:

NC Aquarium in Pine Knoll Shores

NC Maritime Museum in Beaufort

Duke Marine lab Pivers Island

NOAA Lab Pivers Island (http://www.ccfhr.noaa.gov/welcome.html - broken link)

Old 07-02-2009, 04:38 PM
LLN

3,507 posts, read 4,052,158 times
That is a good post bill. tried but could not give you points, but you deserved them for that one.

lln

Old 07-03-2009, 10:30 AM

116 posts, read 250,908 times
Try the food court at the Mall, some interesting species there..............

Old 07-03-2009, 05:44 PM

2 posts, read 20,411 times
Default a trade secret--look for "pelagic birding" if you strike out on whale watching trips

On both coasts,pelagic = deep water birding trips go out where the seabirds and the cetaceans are,so
google pelagic birding North Carolina and you'll find a list of trips.
a few from my quick search
NC pelagic bird trips

The Best Pelagic Birding in the World - North Carolina and the Gulf Stream

Seabirding Pelagic Trips with Brian Patteson

Outer Banks Seabirding - NC Pelagic Birding - OBX Pelagic Trips

enjoy your Right Whales and your black skimmers
Caroline
Tarheel exiled in the desert:great birds but no whales in the washes

Old 01-03-2010, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 18,832 times
drive about 2 hours north to virginia beach, they offer many whale watching trips in dec-early march. humpbacks and other whales feed at the mouth of the chesapeake and can be seen often
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina