U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 09:54 AM

5 posts, read 14,409 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking to retire to a waterfront (not ocean, but Intercoastal, Cape Fear, any other river) community near Wilmington. Neighborhood can be new or old, but water is a must. What areas should we check out? What are considered the "nice" neighborhoods around Wilmington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 AM

169 posts, read 518,228 times
As always I would recommend the Town of St. James, NC. It's situated on the Intercoastal Waterway and it is quite beautiful. The residents are friendly and many are retired, but St. James is not a "retirement community". It is a vital and growing city with tons of amenities and plenty of community spirit.

Old 07-06-2009, 08:14 AM

5 posts, read 14,409 times
Default Town of St James

Thanks. Is this a different place from St James Plantation? We will definitely check it out.

Old 07-06-2009, 09:37 AM

169 posts, read 518,228 times
Default St. James

St. James Plantation was the original development, but we incorporated as a the Town of St. James in 1999. We just celebrated our 10th anniversary as a town. It was quite a large celebration with a parade, fireworks, and an Ice Cream Social at the new firehouse. Let me know if you're coming down and I will show you around (I am NOT a real estate agent or salesman, just a happy St. James resident.)

St. James Plantation, a gated residential community in Southport North Carolina.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:50 AM

120 posts, read 200,996 times
Looks like a lovely place. Seems too pricey for us, though. Enjoy!

Old 07-07-2009, 01:47 PM

214 posts, read 736,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonDregs View Post
St. James Plantation was the original development, but we incorporated as a the Town of St. James in 1999. We just celebrated our 10th anniversary as a town. It was quite a large celebration with a parade, fireworks, and an Ice Cream Social at the new firehouse. Let me know if you're coming down and I will show you around (I am NOT a real estate agent or salesman, just a happy St. James resident.)

St. James Plantation, a gated residential community in Southport North Carolina.
What's wrong with Real Estate agents, I find your comment and others on this forum highly offensive Let me ask you something, did you enter into the contract to buy w/o a REALTOR assisting you? You seem happy there, and if you used a Realtor, than I should think you should be very appreciative of our efforts.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:37 PM

120 posts, read 200,996 times
I don't think that's how the comment was meant. I took it as a friendly sidenote of, "I'm willing to help show you around our lovely area without expecting anything in return because I'm not a realtor, and therefore not trying to sell you anything." I thought it was a genuine offer.

Everyone loves realtors.

Old 07-08-2009, 11:29 AM

149 posts, read 517,038 times
Two communities that have river access, that we liked when we were looking for retirement property, are Compass Pointe (in Leland, NC) and Winding River which is not far from St. James.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:21 PM

844 posts, read 2,676,754 times
seashellbelle, I didn't read anything offensive in CrimsonDregs post; not understanding how you took offense to what appeared to be a friendly offer? Suggest you re-read and maybe consider offering up an appology.

Best regards,.....marc

Old 07-09-2009, 09:22 AM

1,350 posts, read 3,309,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc515 View Post
seashellbelle, I didn't read anything offensive in CrimsonDregs post; not understanding how you took offense to what appeared to be a friendly offer? Suggest you re-read and maybe consider offering up an appology.

Best regards,.....marc
I agree. Just sounded like a nice friendly gesture to me, which is one of the reasons so many people love the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina