Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2007, 09:24 AM

14 posts, read 56,737 times

Advertisements

Hello All,
My boyfriend and I are relocating from Ohio to NC in December, and we pretty much decided on the Wilmington area. However, as I continue to get online and do tons of research, I have found Calabash, and I think I like it. I know that it is going to be much smaller, and just plain different from Wilmington, but can anybody tell me anything about Calabash? Generally, what is the area like? Would a couple in their mid-20's be out of place? How long is the drive to Wilmington? To Myrtle Beach? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 09:56 AM

3,026 posts, read 9,048,256 times
fromcleveland- Calabash is a small coastal town (population about 800) with a median age of 57, lots of retirees.
It is very close to Holden, Ocean Isle and Sunset Beaches. It's about 40-45 minutes from Wilmington and 30 minutes to Myrtle Beach.
Not much night life (you'd be better off going to Myrtle Beach for that), but lots of good restaurants.
There is quite a bit of development going on in the area, marketing aggressively to the "boomer" age group.
Good luck with your search

Old 09-17-2007, 11:10 AM

7 posts, read 42,174 times
Default Cleveland refugee

Moved from the Cleveland area three years ago to Greenville and don't plan on going back

Old 09-17-2007, 07:06 PM

4,300 posts, read 14,951,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromcleveland View Post
Hello All,
My boyfriend and I are relocating from Ohio to NC in December, and we pretty much decided on the Wilmington area. However, as I continue to get online and do tons of research, I have found Calabash, and I think I like it. I know that it is going to be much smaller, and just plain different from Wilmington, but can anybody tell me anything about Calabash? Generally, what is the area like? Would a couple in their mid-20's be out of place? How long is the drive to Wilmington? To Myrtle Beach? Thanks in advance!
Calabash to N Myrtle Beach is like 20 minutes and to Wilmington about 45 minutes. I don't know for sure but I heard Calabash had a lot of older people.

Old 09-18-2007, 03:32 PM

219 posts, read 852,830 times
Cleveland,
Calabash is sort of suburban.
Small, quaint town.
Yeah here are a number of retirees but the area is growing fast and there quite a few families moving to the area.
Rt 17 into SC and at about 18 miles you are in North Myrtle Beach.
Like others have said Wilmington is about 45 miles north.
You want nice. You want quiet. Calabash will give you that even during the tourist time.
Dennis

Old 07-04-2009, 04:03 PM

1 posts, read 5,875 times
Hi my husband and i live in hot florida and we are from the north, we want our seasons again and have looked into calabash nc. We are retired and love the quiet. We are seriously moving to calabash. We have been to myrtle beach also but we like country. Is calabash country and can we have a veggy garden? Thank you to all that answer also does anyone have email address to send and get relocation package thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina