U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-23-2010, 08:40 PM
LLN

3,553 posts, read 4,221,872 times
I searched the Sun Journal (local fishwrapper) for Wyndsor Park. These were six of the first 10 hits. I did not go to the follow on pages.

You can do it yourself, no magic here. I get a clear message from this, but you will have to judge for yourself. Good Luck.

2:14 pm, drug activity, 300 block of Wyndsor Park Drive

Three arrested as suspects in break-in ....Deontre Ulyssess Randall, 17, 133 Wyndsor Park Drive.

3:33 am, juvenile complaint, 300 block of Wyndsor Park Drive. 7:32 am, damage to property

1:09 pm, Wyndsor Park Drive, juvenile complaint.

12:17 pm, hit and run property damage, 600 block of Wyndsor Park.

12:05 pm, larceny, 100 block of Wyndsor Park Drive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 01:27 AM

14 posts, read 36,980 times
Concerning the complaints about the crime ridden areas being close to the nicer areas:

I spent the first 19 years of my life in a nice home in the downtown historic district of New Bern and I would NOT recommend anyone to be out on the streets of the downtown area by yourself after dark. I agree with what many have said......the area sucks because you have the ghetto and then as soon as you cross the tracks you have the "nice" area. I've always disliked that about New Bern's downtown area. After moving away and being gone for ten years, I am now returning to the area in a week and we are in the process of trying to find a home. I've seen so many nice homes in the historic district, but out of concern for the safety of my children I won't consider living there (even though my parents still live there and it would be great to be close to them).

I remember as a teenager hearing about a female tourist who went for a morning jog down George street and was grabbed by a man and beaten and raped. And my neighbor was mugged coming home from work one evening. My car was broken into and things were stolen. Another vehicle that I owned was vandalized while visiting my parents a few years ago. My parents have had things stolen out of their yard. My friend's dad was beaten and robbed while out walking after dark (on George St.).

Of course, this is nothing compared to what goes on in large cities, but my complaint is this: why spend that much money and move into what you think is a nice and safe neighborhood when you can literally cross the street and be in the ghetto? There are so many nicer areas to consider. I would much rather live in an area like Taberna than in downtown New Bern.

If you are a tourist and you plan on visiting the downtown area, please don't fool yourself into thinking that it's safe to go walking around after dark. The entire downtown area attracts a lot of homeless people and people from the surrounding "ghetto" areas who are up to no good. It's a shame that such a nice little area is bordered by two different project housing areas. Be safe.

Concerning the nightlife:
What nightlife? When I left New Bern the only place to go out for dancing and drinks was that bar/club at the Sheraton. I'm not even sure if that's still open now. I think that aside from that place, there is the Diamond Club (mostly younger crowd I think), Milligans, a small bar on Trent Rd. called the Ice House that has karaoke........and that's about it. When I was younger I always went to J-ville or G-ville for the nightlife.

To be quite honest, if I weren't a native of New Bern, I would probably be throwing a fit right now and hating the fact that we are moving there next week.

Last edited by Snowshoekitty; 08-02-2010 at 01:48 AM..

Old 08-02-2010, 03:16 PM

12,808 posts, read 8,012,461 times
I always question a post from a new comer to C-D , especially thier first post, when that post is so negative about an area. I have walked downtown New Bern after dark as have many of my friends and have never had a problem. And the fact that your parents still live there makes me question what really has happened in the past. If I lived in a crime fill area like your parents supposedly does, I would leave in a heartbeat.
As for the crimes you stated, something that happened over what 15 years ago has nothing to do with anything.

And as far as night life, who cares. you want night life, go to Morehead or J-actionville.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:25 PM

14 posts, read 36,980 times
I don't know why you would question the post of a newcomer. I found these forums for a reason and decided to state my thoughts on downtown New Bern, since it was being discussed. I'm not lying about anything. I lived in the same house in downtown New Bern until I was 19 years old and continued to live in New Bern until I was 24. I'm sure I know a whole hell of a lot more about the entire city than you do. The place is not that great. And the only reason my parents still live there is because they are the most old fashioned people on the planet. They wouldn't leave if a project housing area was built next to their home.

Deny it all you want. Walk down to Queen street. On one side you have a decent area. ON the other side you enter the ghetto. Walk down to George street. You have the nice homes and Tryon Palace at the end of George Street, and then you go down a block or two and you're right there at the entrance of Trent Court. Then another block or two and there's "five points" and the entrance to Craven Terrace.

If you want to go walking in downtown New Bern then that's your choice. OF course you are going to find much less crime than what you would see in a large city, but it's really not as quaint and peaceful as people make it out to be.

It's a good thing that a convenient store/ gas station was build on Front Street. Before that place was built the only nearby gas stationed was the Handy Mart located by five points and the other one located down the street in front of a ghetto housing area. Maybe you are a newcomer to downtown New Bern, and it may have improved a bit over the past few years, but what happened in the past that I described is pretty relevant, considering the fact that the ghetto does still surround the historic district and people of questionable character do still roam the streets of the downtown New Bern. And yes, you will see a cop car parked somewhere in the historic district on a regular basis, particularly around the public library, since it attracts so many homeless people and people from poor areas trying to escape the summer heat and humidity.

And you ask who cares about the night life? Haha. Apparently many of the people living in New Bern care. It was a complaint when I lived there and it obviously still is. Even rinky dink Havelock has more places to go out than New Bern has. Who wants to drive an hour away just to go out and have a few drinks? The night life sucks and everyone knows it. The place could really benefit from a few nice clubs, bars, lounges, whatever

Old 08-07-2010, 01:06 PM

16 posts, read 44,457 times
Default Wyndsor Pk. info

I've 2 acquaintances that live down off Elizabeth and in Elizabeth Down. I'll ask them what their impression is. Both are transplants from VA and IA.

Old 08-07-2010, 01:19 PM

Having been here awhile now, I've found some places for nightlife. The Hilton for one, has Jazz on the deck Sunday nights, deck party on Friday nights. All you have to do is call to see what is going on. Persimmon, a new restaurant, just opened but don't know if there'll be music, but a call wouldn't hurt. There are a number of little places on Trent Rd. that feature karaoke. The KofC has dances for singles monthly. I heard about the Diamond Club, but I'll admit I haven't checked it out since I'm single and travel by myself for the most part. In River Bend off 17S is Attitudes Grill that has karaoke Fridays, music Saturday and Shag Dance lessons Sun. & Tues. Close by to that on the left is Boston at the Bend Restaurant which has karaoke music Friday and Saturday on the deck from 6 p.m. til 9 p.m. These hours are to be considerate to the people living there since it's outside. It has been a great place to meet people, dine, have a few drinks, dance and maybe even try karaoke. George Travis and his wife, both from the Boston area, are great people. IHOP has the Pickin' & Grinnin' performing on Fridays 7-9 and Appleby's has karaoke. I'm sure there are others, that a little research would tell. I do notice that a lot of this stuff is not advertised, so a lot I've learned from others. There's also the Elks, Moose and Legion, but I'm not a member and don't know exactly what goes on. I'm sure you'd find something that's enjoyable if you just explore a little. Good luck.

Old 08-08-2010, 07:27 PM

15 posts, read 41,462 times
There has been a tremendous amount of development in New Bern in the last 6 years. We've had such a large influx of transplants and those interested in developing the area. I think that you will see just how much it has changed almost overnight.

Yes, the Queen Street area is not an area that I would frequent at night, but there is nothing there that I would go to unless I was looking for a bail bondsman. Almost every city of 30,000 + will have this kind of neighborhood.

Many people, including young women frequent the restaurants, coffee shops and live entertainment downtown without any problems. The downtown retail/restaurant area is far enough away from George and Queen that visiting downtown at night would never worry me.

The new waterfront Persimmons (Pinehurst Chef) restaurant is top notch (been twice this week). They have plans to open up a lounge on the second level. The new Ribeye's Steakhouse has just opened and a new restaurant across from Christchurch and there is a new restaurant open in the old Fred & Claire's that is getting rave reviews (Johnson & Wales Chef). The new museum is set to open in October. Had a private tour recently (felt like I was transported to a very modern city) and I've lived in a few high tech modern cities. A waterfront cafe will open in the facility (no ticket needed for the cafe). The Sheraton that you referred to has been totally updated and bought out by Hilton. Christophe's restaurant at the Hilton has received decent reviews and you can't beat the view.

Hatteras is relocating Cabo yachts from California to its' New Bern plant to increase productivity and open up 350 jobs to the New Bern area. There is also some talk about additional hotels coming to the downtown area.

Hope that you will take the time to see how much New Bern has changed for the better and will continue to do so. I think that you will find a wider variety of people here that love what New Bern has become and are excited about New Bern's future.

Old 08-22-2010, 08:08 AM

Thanks for that very informative post on things going on in New Bern. Been to Ribeye's and it's located in a lovely high ceiling space. Gives one an idea of what the old interiors were like...with nice wood trim, marble, tile and hardwood floor. Kind of reminded me that there may have been a dance floor at one time, maybe?? Looking forward to the prospect of entertainment at Persimmon. Great location. Gotta find out where the old Fred & Claire's was......what's the name of the restaurant, please? Also a hidden gem is Zorba's for great Greek food. It is off Old Airport Rd. left onto Justin. It's for take out only. They used to have a restaurant, I'm told, on Middle st. They've catered Jazz events at local places, one of which was Fairfield Harbour. The more I learn, the more I love it here. Also, I may be a senior, but I miss the Vincent's Single Night type venues from MA. Where you would get a nice mix of danceable music, meet people, watch people or dance. Could someone give me a sense of what Diamond Club is like. Is it really young and full of Hip-Hop? That would not be to my liking. Thanks folks!

Old 10-16-2010, 11:11 AM

1 posts, read 3,311 times
We are currently looking to re locate to the NC coast from New York ,reason 1 .my oldest is starting high school next year( at least one gang member in every class ) ,# 2 longer sailing season # 3 taxes . I'm worried about the reports of gang activity at New Bern Hs ,how ever there are gangs everywhere ,can anyone give me some prospective on how bad it is ?

Old 10-16-2010, 10:12 PM

2,996 posts, read 4,365,827 times
Here are the HS ranks in Craven County:

Havelock, West Craven, and New bern. Not to say New Bern is bad, just some bad kids go there, but it doesn;t effect the good kids, if that makes sense. Though Havelock is an excellent school (9/10 on greatschools.org ), it is overcrowded. Eventually a new HS will be built between Havelock and New Bern to deal with the growth.

As far as gangs in communities, here are the areas I recommend:
Really liked New Bern
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina