U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 05:52 PM

720 posts, read 1,536,932 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane0218 View Post
Wow, complete opposites views of the same town. How do I process this?

My husband has put New Bern on our short list of places to move to form NE PA. We lived in a VERY rural area of NC from 2005-2007 (Bunn, NC on Lake Royale), and we didn't like it at all because it was a 25 minute drive to anything for shopping (i.e., Target, a mall, Ross, Five Guys, movie theater, a gym, I could go on and on). The small towns between Bunn and what we used to call 'civilization' had gas stations, some houses, a post office, maybe a Dollar General.

It was a true culture shock, after having lived outside Phoenix for a couple of years, and growing up on rural eastern Long Island, NY (that was me--and it's truly rural, but nothing like Bunn. I could get to several towns with movie theaters, grocery stories, artsy towns, etc within 10 to 25 minutes, and the towns in between all had their own flavor and businesses, it was a nice diversity).

So, I'm thinking New Bern might be more like Bunn was for us. Although the lake we lived on was gorgeous and very safe (we didn't live on the waterfront--not that kind of money do we have), we felt like we were considered 'yankees' by the locals, and we tried very hard to make friends. Over in Wake Forest and north of Raleigh, it was a completely different story. Many transplants from all over the country. There was still a cultural divide with some people who had lived their entire lives in and around Raleigh, but overall people were so much nicer! And the amenities so much better.

And there were so many colleges in that area. I think that makes a difference in the mindset and perception of the residents. People seemed to be more open to ideas other than their own, and willing to discuss or have a friendly debate. It was also like this when we lived suburbs of NE of Philly for a couple years, but that's way too pricey and TOO COLD for us now, lol. It was safe their too, even 1 mile outside the Philly city limits.

We're looking for something similar to what we experienced in the area NE and north of Raleigh, but the home prices are outside our budget, which is why New Bern was put on our list (also it's supposed to be very safe there, and that's important). But reading about how people have become numb, I know just what they mean--that's what happened to us living in Bunn.

We aren't retirees (yet), we work from home, and I miss swimming in natural waters SO MUCH!! I'd love to find someplace where I can choose the ocean (15 min drive) or a saltwater inlet (15 min drive) or a freshwater bay that doesn't have alligators. It's what I grew up with, can't afford to move back to Long Island, though, it's so d**n expensive.

I feel like we're searching for something that doesn't exist. It's so discouraging. Our budge is between $30k - about $130k for a single family home with a smallish lot, outside HOA hands.

Thanks for all these posts, it's help me so much! I've always dome to city-data and know I can get the honest truth.
Try looking in Brunswick county. Boiling Spring Lakes has a freshwater lake, is close to the ocean, not far from ,"big" shopping, and has houses in your price range, no HOA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2015, 09:39 PM

1 posts, read 2,132 times
I lived in New Bern for 18 years. It's a place that is ideal for retirement. Boring. No lucrative employment opportunities at all.

The people on this wall are somewhat exaggerating about crime. I never had any problems. Yea you hear about stuff on the news but it's mostly in surrounding areas like Pitt county.

If you are an old white person you will probably enjoy it. However if you are African American I would advise you to stay far away. Racism LIVES in New Bern. Everybody has confederate flags flying or as a sticker on their pickup truck. A near town called Vanceboro is the most racist place I have ever been in my entire life. There is still a KKK members out there and some in new bern. And the same people who complain about the gangs like Tripset fail to even mention the biggest gang that is the klan. I've even been called the N word a few times growing up there. There are a couple of friendly white people out there but overall that town hasome some serious race issues.

I'm never going back to that ****hole. I'm glad I got to college and had the opportunity to leave. If you are under 50 years old dont waste your time going there. If you are African American don't waste your time going there.

YOU'VE BEEN WARNED!

Old 03-03-2015, 11:50 PM

2,825 posts, read 3,537,709 times
I don't think I could ever live in Eastern NC unless it was Wilmington. Most of those towns just aren't very nice in general, like Kinston, Rocky Mount, Goldsboro, Jacksonville, Lumberton, and yes New Bern. New Bern is pretty fun for day trips, people from Raleigh easily visit on weekends for Tryon Palace, Birthplace of Pepsi, historic district, etc. Also, I'm sure it's fine for retirees. However, that's really about it. I've driven around the area, and it doesn't seem very nice at all. Oh, and New Bern isn't on the actual coast despite the popular opinion (just keep going down Hwy 70 for another hour).

Old 07-16-2015, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,804 times
My wife and I are thinking of New Bern for a relocation from the State of Michigan (Detroit area)any input both positive and negative, so we can have a balanced look. To be more specific real estate, utilities, basic living. Thank you

Old 07-16-2015, 10:22 AM

4,639 posts, read 5,169,216 times
Many existing threads:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...eductions.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...-new-bern.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...due-crime.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...southport.html
http://www.city-data.com/forum/coast...w-bern-nc.html

Old 07-16-2015, 12:30 PM

183 posts, read 257,914 times
We moved here in March and really like it.Try staying away from New Bern utilities .I have a New Bern zipcode but have utilities from different providers.Mostly it depends on what your looking for.New Bern is roughly 40 minutes from the beach but you may still need flood insurance.It is best to come visit and get a local realtor to show you property
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina