U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2009, 07:31 AM

551 posts, read 1,698,530 times

Advertisements

We were spending the night in Wilmington from out of town and my husband needed to spend two weeks at NHRMC because of a medical emergency. We were impressed by the friendliness and helpfulness of the people we encountered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 10:09 AM

120 posts, read 200,914 times
That's wonderful to hear. Thank you.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:34 PM

18 posts, read 68,645 times
They are fantastic. Two years ago my daughter's infant son became very ill while we were at Topsail Island for the family week (from upstate NY). She and the baby spent four days in the medical center while her husband and the rest of us took turns with the other kids and running back and forth to Wilmington.

The nurses in particular were unbelievable, and we speak as a family with plenty of medical people in it (nurses, pharmacists, and a doctor). The care Jack received and the help Heather got were just way past what we would expect. On the day Jack was discharged to go back home and see his own pediatrician, the night nurse who had taken care of Heather and Jack (Heather slept in his room with him) came in on her day off to say goodbye and wish them luck.

Our two nurses in the family who were there as well were amazed at the place and the people, as were we all. Could not say enough about them from the ER right up to the Pedes unit and everywhere in between. They took great care of a couple of Yankees!

Almost forgot... Heather said the woman who cleaned the room was wonderful as well. She was an older woman who'd lived in Wilmington all her life, and she talked with Heather and sort of propped her up every time she came in.

Last edited by dave230; 07-13-2009 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: Add a line

Old 07-20-2009, 10:08 AM

452 posts, read 2,127,005 times
That's good. Their children's unit and NICU may be good and have a good rep but their OB/GYN/Baby Delivery unit will NEVER see me again even if hell freezes over. Never.

There was ONE good nurse who wasn't even mine, who helped me out when mine bailed and was off goofing off. She was awesome and to this day I wish I knew her name, a younger black lady. I regret not getting her name...she was absolutely wonderful. MY nurse was a flake who couldn't even run an IV without help (Thank you Jill.....I won't forget your name!)

I wasn't satisifed with the treatment by the OBs and most of the nurses and especially the anesthesiologists who also couldn't do their job...mine bumped his head so hard on a cabinet right before he tried to do my anesthesia that the nurse tried to get him to get someone else to do it. They screwed almost everything up that could be and I thank God every day I had a healthy baby, because they pretty much half killed me. Seriously. Not only did I have to go through all that...most of it was the hospital staff and I don't know why my doctor did not step in and try to make them fix it, my doctor was in an argument with one of the nurses and it caused my doctor to come around less, and I had to listen to the nurses complain about how rude my doctor was to them--when honestly from a patient perspective, I saw the problem as being the nurses---the terrific nurse who helped me, helped me when they were moving me from delivery to recovery, and she was SO wonderful, again, I wish I had gotten her name- she could see my nurse was being a s***. And while I was there I witnessed nurses bickering. Brilliant!

Too bad I didn't know this before I chose to have my baby there- I was new to the area and did not want to have my baby at a small rural hospital that did not even have a NICU so I was scared to have my baby at Brunswick, looking back, I would have gone to Grand Strand/Myrtle Beach! I have met 3-4 others who had awful exepriences at New hanover delivering their babies...I have since met 2-3 who had ok experiences at Grand Strand. And I have since seen one relative's bad treatment at that hospital....and witnessed one other person get a staph infection after a surgery there, and heard of others. The person who got the staph wanted a different hospital because of the reputation locally but he had to go where his insurance told him or they wouldn't pay- ironic since they then had to pay for a treatment to get rid of the awful staph infection he got there.

I will NEVER set a conscious toe in that hospital again and have told my husband to get me somewhere else, if I end up taken there have me moved as soon as I am stable.

OTOH.......to be fair....I have had a few people tell me they had surgeries there and were treated well. I wonder how much of this is the department, or how much of it is your doctor advocating for you...etc.

I was going to find whomever I had to to let them know about my experience and the bickerings I had to witness during my labor and botched delivery but I figured it would not do any good, they don't care. I was going to raise a big stink but figured I was lucky to be out alive, and better off to avoid the place, than complain when it would not change anything anyway- there was nothing they could go back and do and make my experience any better after the fact. I don't know what was up with that-----since then I have talked to others who had their babies there, since it's one of the biggest places around here to have babies and has a big NICU....NO ONE has told me they had a wonderful experience, but a lot of people had told me it was average/not that great but not that bad. And I just want to repeat it's NEVER ok for a patient to see nurses complaining about a doctor, because what I saw, the doctor said something to the nurses about them not doing things correctly and it made the nurses mad but from what I could see the doctor was in the right and wasn't even rude that rude about it, the nurses just resented being told.

I don't want to see this hospital again and if I have to have a surgery I suspect is coming up in the future, I am going back to my doctors in Concord to have it- because ALL my experiences at the hospital there including a surgery, were great. Not just ok.....GREAT. I'd be interested in hearing from others about NHRMC in case I do have to deal with them again over a relative...if this hospital was good, I'd like to hear it- what department...etc...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina