U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 11:14 AM

4 posts, read 8,982 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I've been lurking on these boards today and have found some wonderful information searching for town information about the coastal carolinas.

I can't seem to find things near the coast (within 10 miles or so) that would have something like a 4 bedroom house with at least 3 acres of property. We have about $500000.00 for a budget. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 12:03 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,222,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofbytes View Post
Does anyone have any suggestions?
Look for high ground.

Old 07-08-2009, 12:17 PM

Default high ground

which town or towns would you suggest considering the criteria I've posed?

Old 07-08-2009, 01:16 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,635,176 times
we bought a 3700 sq ft house on two acres within about 10-15 miles to either wrightsville beach or carolina beach
it is in the monkey junction area

Old 07-08-2009, 02:08 PM

160 posts, read 699,705 times
Quote:
which town or towns would you suggest considering the criteria I've posed?
You can probably find a house with some acreage within an approximate 15-20 minute drive to the beach in the following towns in Brunswick County.....

Shallotte, Supply, Holden Beach, Ocean Isle Beach, Calabash, Bolivia, Southport, Boiling Spring Lakes, Leland

and in Pender or Onslow County........

Hampstead, Surf City, Holly Ridge, Sneads Ferry

You can definately find a nice house on 3+ acres for less than $500K.

Old 07-09-2009, 07:21 AM

Thanks everyone for the information! I've literally spent hours yesterday looking up real estate. I've got about 20 "options". I'm also using Floodsmart.gov and putting in addresses to find out flood information.

@movedtothecoast: I've looked up monkey junction (even how it got it's name) but I'm not finding homes like you've described. Is there a particular neighborhood or subdivision or town in the area with 3700SF and 2+ acres?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:59 AM

1,958 posts, read 2,635,176 times
look up samsara estates ,or look around myrtle grove rd. i also remember windosr estates as having houses with acreage. up around porters neck , ogden area [ northside of wilmington] you should be able to find something like that.
samsara is a small neighborhood with one lot for sale , it is in a unattractive location though.
keep looking , it might take a while to find something.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:10 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,222,576 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for the information! I've literally spent hours yesterday looking up real estate. I've got about 20 "options". I'm also using Floodsmart.gov and putting in addresses to find out flood information.
Keep in mind, flood boundaries indicate the areas that almost certainly will flood.

Being outside of a flood boundary does not make you flood-proof or even flood-resistant. The boundaries should be interpreted subjectively along with drainageways, not taken as an objective "Yes" or "No".

Historically speaking, few people ever wanted to live with 50 or 100 miles of the coast of the Carolinas. This is not to discourage you, just sayin' that buying land within 10 miles of the ocean is sometimes risky. Best of luck.

Old 07-09-2009, 09:29 AM

197 posts, read 876,641 times
Quote:
Hello!

I've been lurking on these boards today and have found some wonderful information searching for town information about the coastal carolinas.

I can't seem to find things near the coast (within 10 miles or so) that would have something like a 4 bedroom house with at least 3 acres of property. We have about $500000.00 for a budget. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!
are you looking at the whole coast of NC or just southeast?

Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 AM

The southeast primarily. I've been to wilmington and like it. I do a lot of travel and it's close to a highway and has a nice small but reasonable airport. Plus considering I'm coming from up north, anything under 500K is affordable and appears that I can get good value.

However, I'm not "married" to the idea of just the southeast if there's value out there. Our two priorities are 2 or 3 acres and being as close to the ocean as possible.

We grew up in RI and was always 15 minutes from the ocean....we're looking to replicate that in a warmer climate
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina