U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2009, 07:35 PM

4 posts, read 6,702 times

Advertisements

Hello- first time poster. LOVE this forum- loads of info.

My parents are looking to retire to the Crystal Coast next year. My husband and I are seriously considering joining them (we are in central Pa). However, we are in our 30's with 4 young sons and have alot of life left to live. I have been reading many posts about the bad job market and was wondering if some of you could expand on that. So far, that is my only real concern. Low taxes, great schools, small towns, now we just need some jobs.

Some background- I have my BS in psych and I have been home with my children for quite sometime now. I have worked in mental health hospitals and rehabs. I am looking to work with children- possibly as a teachers assistant. My hubby has his BS in Business as an Operations Manager at a family owned furniture store. He was involved with sales, computer stuff, warehouse stuff, safety stuff- little bit of everything. Not quite sure what direction he can go in in the area.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2009, 07:50 PM

263 posts, read 973,559 times
Well, I don't know what taxes are in PA, but I have found the 8% state income tax breath-taking. I'm coming up on 60 days here, so my experience is limited.

People seem to have very romantic ideas about moving here. They think "Oh, I'm going to get away from the crowds of people and traffic." Well, yes, you are. But any time you depart from crowds and traffic, you also get away from most jobs.

Will it be safe for your children compared to some metro area? Probably. Will it cut your children off from a lot of opportunities that don't exist in rural USA? Yes. Only you can decide if that trade is acceptable.

I wish you the best.

B

Old 07-08-2009, 10:59 PM

148 posts, read 555,331 times
My manages a firm here that could use you as a Ualified Professional....They pay well in my opinion...She is always looking to hire more...her firm keeps expanding....There are tons of furniture stores around here, and other places for you husband...

Old 07-09-2009, 05:14 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,974 times
You're coming from New England. It is an industrial area-Built on manufacturing-Industry-Cities.
The coast of NC was built on land & sea-fishing and farming and later tourism.
Don't expect to find industry here-I'd recommend bringing it (your industry) with you.
With that said-Furniture (Retail) is one of the biggest businesses in the area. At least from who spends the most advertising dollars perspective.
Bill

Old 07-09-2009, 03:44 PM

Pa income tax is 7% and what we would save in property and school tax would more than make up for the extra 1 %. I believe my children would greatly benefit from a small town southern lifestyle. I see way too many overscheduled, stressed out families around here and we refuse to become one of them.

Steven- could you give me more info on the firm? Thanks.

Bill- Thanks for the info about the furniture industry. I will pass it on to my husband.

Old 07-09-2009, 05:42 PM

713 posts, read 3,471,139 times
Smile Carteret County Info

Quote:
Originally Posted by my4devils View Post
Pa income tax is 7% and what we would save in property and school tax would more than make up for the extra 1 %. I believe my children would greatly benefit from a small town southern lifestyle. I see way too many overscheduled, stressed out families around here and we refuse to become one of them.

Steven- could you give me more info on the firm? Thanks.

Bill- Thanks for the info about the furniture industry. I will pass it on to my husband.
I attended a presentation this morning from the director of Economic Development for Carteret County. Two of the biggest factors in the Carteret County economy happen to be Cherry Point and Camp Lejeune. The payrolls for military and non-military personnel working on the bases is a huge deal here in the county.

Manufacturing actually shows up better in the economy than I thought it would. However, the jobs are relatively low paying.

Tourism and second homes are a huge deal here, providing furnishing, maintenance, and services for those homes keeps many people employed.

Healthcare is also a big industry here due to a somewhat older population.

Retail sales are also very strong in the county which I suspect is helped by the many second homes here.

We are a growing county and I would agree with Bill that bringing your industry with you is a good idea. There is plenty of opportunity in the county, you just have to find it.

Property taxes are much lower here. Property insurance is much higher. You can read my article Doing the math for a move for more insight.

We have not received our insurance bill yet for this year but expect a big jump.

I would recommend reading the jobs section in the Carteret News-Times (http://www.carolinacoastonline.com/news-times_classifieds/help_wanted/ - broken link). I think you will find some jobs.

It is a great place to live. I was at meeting in Morehead City all morning. I got home at 12:30 pm. We pulled away from our dock at 1:10 pm, and were fishing in Bogue Inlet by 1:30. We were back at the dock by 4 pm so my fishing partners could attend a dinner this evening.

There are not many places you can do that. I even caught that same 14.75 inch flounder that I have caught mulitple times in the last couple of weeks.

I have yet to talk to anyone who regrets making Carteret County their home.

I snapped this picture yesterday. I have not had time to get the ones from today off the camera. I like to factor this into any numbers that I consider.

Last edited by dsobotta; 07-09-2009 at 05:45 PM.. Reason: Left out link

Old 07-10-2009, 04:46 PM

148 posts, read 555,331 times
Look on my profile and you will see my number, just call me, and I will explain....Steve...

Old 07-12-2009, 09:10 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
Cost of Living in Carteret County is third Highest, behind New hanover (wimington) and Mecklenburg (Charlotte). You can save a lil living right outside the county in places like Havelock (Craven County) or Hubert (Onslow). Both of those places are closer to where the actual jobs are (cherry Point and Camp Lejeune). I know an Atlantic Beach cop who lives in Havelock b/c it's more affordable than AB. Then again, it's all relative.

I'll say it seems to me that the neighboring counties is where people make their money and Carteret is where people spend it.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:41 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,354,974 times
Carteret County is the third highest? Third highest what?
If you are talking about housing-Then be very careful with that statement. Average sold price for a Newport house this year is $170K. The average sold price for an Indian Beach/Salter path home is $835K.
Same county-different price.
But all of us in Carteret County pay the same amount for gasoline, power, food, clothing, internet, cars, etc.

Old 07-13-2009, 02:32 PM

We are coming down in August and again in November to tour the local cities. So far we are going to stop in Swansboro, Hubert, Cape Carteret, Beaufort, Morehead City and Newport. Any other places we should add?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina