U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-20-2009, 02:44 AM

5 posts, read 20,882 times

Advertisements

Looking to semi-retire to Eastern NC...I went to ECU, so am not totally ignorant of the area...
NEEDS/WANTS
near water/short distance to salt water
near Military base
near airport
we are city people (currently splitting our work time between Honolulu and SF)
do not want acreage--want to be near shops, restaurants, some culture
medical care etc.
we are not golfers--maybe some day!
A plus would be Trader Joe's!

Is there any truth to the rumor we have heard that pensions from state, fed gov't are not state taxed in NC

Any advice would be helpful...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 06:20 PM

1 posts, read 5,630 times
i have a friend who is retired from the State of Pa., and she pay 7% tax on her pension.

Old 08-14-2009, 06:56 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
Don't think you will like either. Neither Wilmington nor New Bern are anything like Hono or SF. Not even close.

New Bern has AWFUL city government, morons that have plundered and mis-managed to the max. They scrapped term limits and stay in power by buying votes with bizarre and wasteful spending.

I am at the point of just about regretting moving here. No trader joe's that is for sure.

Pensions are taxed unless you fall in several specific categories. Rather complicated, consult NC dept of Revenue web site.

Good Luck.

PS Try Charleston

Old 08-16-2009, 06:20 AM

148 posts, read 555,331 times
Federal pensions in NC pay no state tax...so a big plus.....You may consider Swansboro, NC...15 mins to Camp Lejeune, and Jacksonville has all the big stores, and Morehead City has a few big box stores...Jacksonville has alot of Marines, their families and retirees...and alot of towns in America haved loathed the military and its bases....but those towns now probably wish they had a Camp Lejeune around....Thank God for Camp Lejeune, New River, and Cherry Point here in the Crystal Coast area....

We have culture, arts, medical care, etc...you may even have to drive a few miles too it, but it is here in a nice, usually clean, safer area...

If you have more questions post them, or message me...

Old 08-16-2009, 06:50 AM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven McCurdy View Post
Federal pensions in NC pay no state tax...
Well it is not quite that straightforward. Here is a link to the Income Tax Directive, PD-99-1 that lays out, pretty well, the tax issue:

Individual Income Directive PD-99-1

Basically, if you were vested in a Federal Retirement System (generally meaning 5 years of creditable service) prior to August 12, 1989, then you generally do not have to pay NC taxes on your retirement.

Read the directive to be sure.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 190,686 times
LLN - not sure I agree with your politics.

But, I do agree that someone who is accustomed to SF and HNL would not find the kind of stimulation in the Carolinas to be happy. I think the closest Trader Joe's might be in the D.C. area (4 1/2 hours from New Bern, 5 1/2 from Wilmington). Wilmington and Greenville have Fresh Market. Have you considered Virginia? You would have the military aspect with access to DC if you were really struggling with the change.

I'd be happy to respond more to any other questions that you may have!!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:18 PM
LLN

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2goboating View Post
Not to derail a thread, but I have no insight into New Bern politics at all. I am addressing the competence of the management, or more likely the lack thereof. I have no idea, nor do I care about the politics, I just seek competence.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:17 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luv2goboating View Post

But, I do agree that someone who is accustomed to SF and HNL would not find the kind of stimulation in the Carolinas to be happy. I think the closest Trader Joe's might be in the D.C. area (4 1/2 hours from New Bern, 5 1/2 from Wilmington). Wilmington and Greenville have Fresh Market. Have you considered Virginia? You would have the military aspect with access to DC if you were really struggling with the change.

I'd be happy to respond more to any other questions that you may have!!

the closest one is actually in Raleigh. Also housing and traffic in the DC area is ridiculous. The area around Ft Lee (Petersburg) is no bad. Norfolk/VA Beach has bad traffic too, but nothing like DC.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:28 PM

1,957 posts, read 2,630,783 times
out of the two , i would pick wilmington.
has most of what you are looking for , except trader joe's!!
we moved from charlotte , where there are several , when we go back we stock up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina