U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2009, 12:51 PM

226 posts, read 680,505 times

Advertisements

Our family is going to the OBX (Kill Devil Hills) for vacation 8-15 August. I would like to know if anyone has been to see "The Lost Colony" theater production in Manteo. We are thinking about getting tickets for it and would like to know is it worth the time/money to go. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2009, 01:08 PM

419 posts, read 967,599 times
We saw Lost Colony in June and loved it! Me, husband and 17yo son. Son was skeptical but admitted it was really good, very well done. The theater is beautiful. I got tix on their website, I was able to choose our seats, got very front row in center. Bring bug spray. Very small kids might get restless and/or scared, there is some mild violence.

Old 07-20-2009, 01:30 PM

CalicoskiesNC

Thanks so muich for your reply to my post. I visited The Lost Colony Web site and the production looks really good. My daughter and her boyfriend, who are college students, will be coming to the OBX with us. I think they will enjoy it as well as my husband and I. My daughter won't be to happy about the BUGS - they seem to really like her for some reason anytime she is outdoors! Thanks for the tip on bringing bug spray!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:09 PM

4,131 posts, read 13,311,035 times
Bringing bug spray IS a good tip. We also saw The Lost Colony a few years ago, after visiting the OBX many times, and it was really good, I think we got the tickets at the door the same nite.

Old 07-27-2009, 09:10 AM

144 posts, read 608,494 times
I went to see the Lost Colony this summer the week before July 4th. I've been twice before in the last two decades. Each time it was an enjoyable show, well worth the money. This year was very good the only criticism I might have is they have started using wireless mics and they were having all kinds of trouble with them but other than that it was very well done. The story is not historically accurate but the play itself is done well.
I would recommend getting your tickets in advance as some nights fill up quickly. The night we went there were very few empty seats. The bug spray comment is a very necessary idea. Remember you are in Carolina where the mosquitoes are the state bird!
I'm sure you will enjoy it.
We also took some time and went to Festival Park in Manteo. Again, that was well worth the time and money. They have a small watermen's museum and a colonial ship and settlement you can visit. There is also a short historical movie of how Manteo and Wanchese got their names. The movie is called the Legend of Two-Paths. It is worth a look. We also went on a Ghost Tour in Manteo at night. This was fun but a little over the top. We enjoyed the story-telling aspect and the tour around Manteo at night but they tried to play off the "Ghosthunters" series a little and that was tiresome. My wife and I and my 14 year old daughter found it to be great fun though, a little pricey at $13/person, but we enjoyed it. We hope to go on the graveyard tour at sometime in the future. The fellow that does the tour works at Festival Park and has a great Irish accent which makes the story telling that much better.
I hope you enjoy the Lost Colony!

Old 07-27-2009, 08:34 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses! Very helpful!

Old 04-03-2012, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,681 times
Well, I would just like to share with you what many of us does not know.
There are a couple things which individuals whine about more than high theater costs. There isn't really a person on earth that hasn't heard it or said it by now and it's a tired old saw. That said, what most people cannot enjoy is that the prices need to be high otherwise the theaters couldn't keep their doors open and can not continue their operation. If you want to know more of this, I give you my reference : Good reason exists for movie theater concession prices.

Old 04-08-2012, 03:58 PM

3,155 posts, read 9,789,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVMYDACH View Post
Thanks everyone for your responses! Very helpful!
Go! You won't be disappointed! And it's worth every penny! I saw it 23 years ago and then again 2 years ago with my 10 year old. Loved it both times! I want to go back with the whole family. Some showings are during the day (at least in June I know they were). If so, bring sunscreen and a hat.

If there is a breeze the bugs won't be as bad. Oh and the costumes are amazing!!

Old 04-08-2012, 05:00 PM

116 posts, read 286,105 times
It has historically been a great show. i have not been since they got all of the new costumes etc. The warehouse that stored costumes burned a few years ago so a big push to get new ones. But yep if I were vacationing I would check it out. You can also do tours of the theater which is cool. Beautiful location but lots of mosquitos as it is on the water. Also check out Roanoke Festival Park and the Elizabeth II. They tie in with the Lost Colony and are also very cool, as is the little waterfont of Manteo

Old 04-08-2012, 08:56 PM

144 posts, read 608,494 times
Default Last season best yet!

I went back to see the Lost Colony again last spring and found the production the best ever. The lady that played the queen of England was absolutely excellent! Go and take your family it is worth every penny! BTW I don't work for the show as I now live in Bridgewater, VA. I just highly recommend the drama!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina