U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 03:32 PM

26 posts, read 73,915 times

Advertisements

Move there, I love that area, great seafood, great people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 8,719 times
Default Interested in Calsbash area

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Bought property here in Calabash 10 years ago. Moved down 1 1/2 years ago. Of all the times we came down to visit until now, everyone I have come in contact with has had the same thing to say, "I wish I coulda/shoulda/woulda moved here sooner.

I love it!
I just recently became interested in the Calabash area. I've been reading these posts and find them very helpful. Most of my questions as far as taxes and hurricanes have been answered, but I was wondering how the winters are? I'm in Rockland County, NY {not far from the military academy at West Point} and I'm sick of snow! I'm also sick of 10K in real estate taxes! I'll be passing through Calabash in less than a month and I'd like to check out the area in person. I'm not much of a golfer but I enjoy the beach. I'll only have one day to stay, any tips at what I should look at while I'm there? Thanks

Old 09-23-2009, 07:12 AM

214 posts, read 737,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXFDNY44 View Post
I just recently became interested in the Calabash area. I've been reading these posts and find them very helpful. Most of my questions as far as taxes and hurricanes have been answered, but I was wondering how the winters are? I'm in Rockland County, NY {not far from the military academy at West Point} and I'm sick of snow! I'm also sick of 10K in real estate taxes! I'll be passing through Calabash in less than a month and I'd like to check out the area in person. I'm not much of a golfer but I enjoy the beach. I'll only have one day to stay, any tips at what I should look at while I'm there? Thanks
Our winters are very, very mild, our weather is actually our best attribute.
Summers can get a little hot and humid, but living closer to the coast, we have the fortune of ocean breezes.
If this is your first visit to the area, and I am assuming it is, you will have much to choose from. Where you ultimately buy or rent will of course depend on what you are looking for.
The Calabash/Sunset beach area is a golfing mecca, and the closest beach will be Sunset beach, absolutely gorgeous, a little difficult to get to though.
Further up the coast toward Wilmington is Ocean Isle, Holden Beach, Oak Island, all great areas and beach accessible.
DM me, and fill me in on what your criteria is. I would be happy to assist and answer any questions you have, as I have lived here for over five years, and am very familiar with all the areas.
I relocated here myself from the North, and just love it.
Hope you enjoy your visit!!!!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:41 PM

2,784 posts, read 7,341,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXFDNY44 View Post
Just returned from a trip to Calabash/Sunset Beach. You can probably "do" these small towns in less than a day. They are pretty small beach towns.

Sunset Beach is lovely, accessable now by a swing bridge but the new bridge is under construction. The piles are built from the mainland to the island and the spans are about a quarter done. There is public parking right across the bridge for $5.00/day and there appears to be free street parking closer to Duck Island (make a right just over the bridge and drive as far as you can).

Calabash is known for its seafood, totally fried everything! Nances, Ellas etc. all at the small port. You can also buy fresh fish and shrimp off the boats there.
The Grapevine Restaurant is on 179 just before the turnoff to the port and is a great non-fried option.
Have a fun day!

Old 09-27-2009, 09:16 AM

37,005 posts, read 16,134,598 times
I moved here so i wouldn't have to shovel the sunshine.

Here is a good weather link: North Carolina Weather | Real Estate North Carolina | Calabash NC

Old 09-27-2009, 10:40 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyj View Post
Just returned from a trip to Calabash/Sunset Beach. You can probably "do" these small towns in less than a day. They are pretty small beach towns.

Sunset Beach is lovely, accessable now by a swing bridge but the new bridge is under construction. The piles are built from the mainland to the island and the spans are about a quarter done. There is public parking right across the bridge for $5.00/day and there appears to be free street parking closer to Duck Island (make a right just over the bridge and drive as far as you can).

Calabash is known for its seafood, totally fried everything! Nances, Ellas etc. all at the small port. You can also buy fresh fish and shrimp off the boats there.
The Grapevine Restaurant is on 179 just before the turnoff to the port and is a great non-fried option.
Have a fun day!
Hi JerseyJ,
Thanks for the information, I'll be sure to check out the beaches. I like seafood also. The Giants and Jets are off to a good start!
Best,
Rob

Old 09-27-2009, 10:42 PM

Default I'll watch the snow on the weather channel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I moved here so i wouldn't have to shovel the sunshine.

Here is a good weather link: North Carolina Weather | Real Estate North Carolina | Calabash NC

I'll shovel the sunshine and watch the snow storms on TV!

Old 09-28-2009, 11:57 AM

37,005 posts, read 16,134,598 times
Unfortunately, thr Redskins are not. I have no problem with people rooting for thier home team.

Being from Maryland around the Chesapeake Bay, I am not a great fan of the seafood around here. Everything is fried.

Old 11-01-2009, 12:44 PM

2 posts, read 2,529 times
We discovered Brunswick Plantation and rented for two months last year, loved it and it is very convenient to everything. We are going back this year for two months, same place. Its a very quiet area, yet near anything that you wish to be doing. Calabash is a nice, small community, lots of great restaurants, shops and a quick drive to Myrtle Beach. Library very close by and convenient for those whose do not travel with a lap top. We are from NH and have no interest in buying, love our spring, summer and fall weather up here, but sure like it in Calabash in the winter. (No snow and below 0 Temps) For us it sure beats going to Florida. Sue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina