U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-26-2009, 05:01 PM

5,334 posts, read 6,142,963 times

Advertisements

I'll be visiting a friend in Wilmington with my kids and wonder what's to see along the coast. I plan to only spend a few days in Wilmington, and hope to take my time driving back up to Virginia if there's anything worth stopping for (other than Kitty Hawk and its vicinity). I don't plan to go further south than Wilmington.

I'm more familiar with Piedmont and Mountain areas of NC (I used to live in NC as a child), but have never been to New Bern or Elizabeth City or other places along the coastal area. Any interesting destinations?

Also, it's been over 10 years since I visited Wilmington. I remember there was a small waterfront area built up with restaurants, but the surrounding streets seemed a bit rough. Comments about what to do in Wilmington are appreciated, too (Battleship NC is only thing I know about so far).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 05:14 PM

983 posts, read 3,524,449 times
New Bern has Tryon Palace, the Pepsi museum, and a really cool fireman's museum.

Outer Banks has Kitty Hawk, the Cape Hatteras Lighthouse, Ft. Raleigh, Elizabethean Gardens, Jockey's Ridge (largest living sand dune on the East Coast).

In Wilmington, you'll find the Cape Fear Museum, there's a REALLY cool children's museum, the NC Battleship, and 30 minutes south is Ft. Fisher and the Aquarium.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:16 PM

3 posts, read 6,370 times
There's Fort Fisher, the Serpentarium in Wilmington, Wrightsville Beach and the beautiful seashells, and depending on your route to VA, you could take one of the ferrys, maybe even to Ocracoke. There's a lot to see and do along the coast!

Old 07-26-2009, 05:21 PM

431 posts, read 1,012,171 times
I'm in Wilmington right now and we need something to do tomorrow (our last full day here). Is it worth it to venture out to New Bern for the Pepsi Museum? I'm a big Pepsi fan, but if its pathetic, we don't want to waste the time.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:32 AM

20 posts, read 61,885 times
Default Poplar Grove

There's Poplar Grove Plantation in Scott's Hill. Lots of interesting things for all ages. I'd try to plan that when it's cloudy or early in the day because of the heat. Kids love it! It's very easy to make a day of it and learn a lot at the same time. Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina