U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 12:14 PM

13 posts, read 51,819 times

Advertisements

Hey all. I am considering relocating to the Wilmington area from NJ and I found an apartment I like down in Monkey Junction. I was just wondering how that area is with saftey and crime issues compared to the rest of Wilmington. I understand that all areas of the country have a certain amount of crime, but since I am single woman as well as the person I am going to be living with, we want to make sure we are in a good, safe area. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2009, 12:30 PM

160 posts, read 699,204 times
Monkey Junction is a fairly safe area. If you will be in one of the newer apartment/condo complexes (less than 10-15 years old) you should be fine.

Old 07-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Thanks for such a quick response! Yes the complex is probably 4yrs old the most. Monkey Junction and Lanfall seem like the best areas in my opinion. I haven't seen it yet, but how is Mayfaire Towne Center? It looks like it has some nice shopping and some bars/restaurants. Wondering if anyone has any opinions on it. Thanks again!

Old 07-27-2009, 07:19 PM

431 posts, read 1,011,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam0914 View Post
Thanks for such a quick response! Yes the complex is probably 4yrs old the most. Monkey Junction and Lanfall seem like the best areas in my opinion. I haven't seen it yet, but how is Mayfaire Towne Center? It looks like it has some nice shopping and some bars/restaurants. Wondering if anyone has any opinions on it. Thanks again!
I just went to Mayfaire Town Center yesterday. Its fantastic. Everything you could want in one place. But better then a mall.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:58 AM

1 posts, read 8,634 times
Quote:
Hey all. I am considering relocating to the Wilmington area from NJ and I found an apartment I like down in Monkey Junction. I was just wondering how that area is with saftey and crime issues compared to the rest of Wilmington. I understand that all areas of the country have a certain amount of crime, but since I am single woman as well as the person I am going to be living with, we want to make sure we are in a good, safe area. Thanks for all your suggestions.
Welcome to Monkey Junction,
Great area, most everything you need. Great fast food and sit down restaurants. WAL-MART, LOWES and Home Depot. Pat's Auto is a must.
If you are concerned about saftey in the area or all of Wilmington, see Wilmington Crime Map > Recent crime and incident reports | StarNewsOnline.com | Wilmington Star News.

Old 07-29-2009, 12:05 PM

86 posts, read 293,464 times
Thanks for the link to the map. I'm also single and looking for advice on the safer parts of town since I don't know the area at all. Any info would be very helpful. What neighborhoods and safe and which ones should I stay away from?

Old 07-29-2009, 01:55 PM

Thanks again for the quick responses. I have been to the Monkey Junction Wal-Mart...we dont have Wal-Mart super centers here in NJ. That store was one of the nicest Wal-Mart's I have been in to date. Mayfaire Towne Center looks really nice from the computer so I am glad to hear that it is as nice as I think. Is there a good night life there? I saw some bars and restaurants that look like fun (as opposed to downtown) so I was wondering if someone in their Mid 20's like myself can have a good time there on a weekend. I have been reading some reports about gators and snakes all around the wilmington area. this kinda surprises me cause the times I have been down all i saw was that serpertarium (people seriously like that place?? lol) and didnt think gators were an issue until SC. I know living in the wooded and marsh areas you are bound to see some creatures but are they crawling around the Monkey Junction area, mainly in/around the apt complexes. I want to know what I should be prepaired for. Thanks again!

Old 07-30-2009, 05:14 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,198,481 times
Quote:
Thanks again for the quick responses. I have been to the Monkey Junction Wal-Mart...we dont have Wal-Mart super centers here in NJ. That store was one of the nicest Wal-Mart's I have been in to date. Mayfaire Towne Center looks really nice from the computer so I am glad to hear that it is as nice as I think. Is there a good night life there? I saw some bars and restaurants that look like fun (as opposed to downtown) so I was wondering if someone in their Mid 20's like myself can have a good time there on a weekend.
Yeah, Mayfaire has some decent spots for night life. Mayfaire would definitely be a good place to live. I've never understood how they manage to charge as much for apartments there as they do, but I guess they do.

Monkey Junction is safe. There are a few pretty swanky neighborhoods, all the way down to some old blue-collar neighborhoods. I've always felt it was far away from everything going on in downtown and Wrightsville Beach.

Quote:
I have been reading some reports about gators and snakes all around the wilmington area. this kinda surprises me cause the times I have been down all i saw was that serpertarium (people seriously like that place?? lol) and didnt think gators were an issue until SC. I know living in the wooded and marsh areas you are bound to see some creatures but are they crawling around the Monkey Junction area, mainly in/around the apt complexes. I want to know what I should be prepaired for. Thanks again!
Yep, they live here.

If you hang out around brackish or fresh water, you should keep your eye out for gators. That's not to say they won't go in salt water, it is just atypical. Same goes for poisonous snakes, although you may find these in your yard if you live in areas of low elevation, or in a drainageway.

Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 AM

7 posts, read 17,706 times
Wilmington is nice but my family is accually leaving here sept 1st. due to lack of work and high cost of living. Downtown, well accually all of Wilm has nice resturaunts and bars Mayfair is nice but over rated and priced. But fun for family free live music bring your own beer/food. Wrightsville Beach is nice but no parking ( water is clear and beautiful ). What type of work are you in?

Old 07-30-2009, 08:52 AM

16 posts, read 23,754 times
Default It's got the most crime in NC

I don't know the numbers but it has the worst crime in NC.... Love the town but depends where you live. I'd stay in Northern Wilm if I was you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina