U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-06-2009, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Winston-Salem
8 posts, read 47,950 times
Reputation: 16

Advertisements

Thanks for the information historychick. Yeah i know its a drive, b/c we make it all the time to go do stuff in town, but im pretty used to it. Congrats on moving in by the way. hope you have a good year at grad school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-07-2009, 10:17 AM
 
57 posts, read 240,864 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndshdr07 View Post
Thanks for the information historychick. Yeah i know its a drive, b/c we make it all the time to go do stuff in town, but im pretty used to it. Congrats on moving in by the way. hope you have a good year at grad school.
I'm looking at a house in Kure Beach tomorrow, and I'll be working downtown. The real estate agent told me you can get to downtown in 20 minutes if you take the "back roads" (whatever those are) but I don't know if she was full of BS and just trying to sell me on the place. I don't mind putting up with a 30 minute commute to live at the beach. I've noticed rentals and Kure are quite a bit more expensive than Carolina.

GC
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-08-2009, 07:57 PM
 
Location: Winston-Salem
8 posts, read 47,950 times
Reputation: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygc View Post
I'm looking at a house in Kure Beach tomorrow, and I'll be working downtown. The real estate agent told me you can get to downtown in 20 minutes if you take the "back roads" (whatever those are) but I don't know if she was full of BS and just trying to sell me on the place. I don't mind putting up with a 30 minute commute to live at the beach. I've noticed rentals and Kure are quite a bit more expensive than Carolina.

GC
Depending on traffic, 20 minutes is pretty reasonable. Last time i drove from Kure to downtown Wilmington it took me about 20 minutes to get there by the back roads. It was also 9 at night when i drove it and most people were off the road, otherwise it is pretty good.

And i could see why rentals in Kure would be more than in Caolina. From what i see all the time, alot of the houses in Kure are bigger and nicer than Carolina, thats just my opinion beacause we vacation in Kure and do not look in Carolina.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-09-2009, 04:45 PM
 
Location: on the Beach
135 posts, read 569,935 times
Reputation: 57
Yeah i bought some 'over the counter' spray that i'll use every couple days just to be sure they all stay good and dead. There hasn't been too much noise in Mill creek, except for the military planes that fly over during the day rather regularly sometimes. Its a quick drive to campus though since you can come right down Randall onto campus.

one thing that does bother me, although it's probably because this is a big move-in week, is that the garbage compactor seems to get full (or people are lazy and don't pitch their trash down it far enough) and the trash overflows onto the walkway to the trash. it doesn't obstruct traffic or anything, but it makes the area look kinda dirty. Just got the electricity bill for the 4 days that we had the apartment in July, 14$, looks like summer will not be a fun time for electricity usage...

I went to Kure Beach last night for dinner. I do not recommend eating at 'Big Daddy's'. The pier at Kure was nice, but it seemed to close early? There seem to be a lot of fun bistro's and bars down there, very happening. i wonder if they'll close up when summer's over or not though since a lot of people seemed like tourists and not locals.

I've ate at the Oceanic on Wrightsville, but i can't seem to find a lot of seafood places that are rated highly. I guess i'll have to boil my own shrimp and fry my own corn dodgers :< I ate at sticky fingers on Market, it was fast, good, and decently priced! their sauce is really good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
431 posts, read 1,012,573 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by historychic09 View Post
Yeah i bought some 'over the counter' spray that i'll use every couple days just to be sure they all stay good and dead. There hasn't been too much noise in Mill creek, except for the military planes that fly over during the day rather regularly sometimes. Its a quick drive to campus though since you can come right down Randall onto campus.

one thing that does bother me, although it's probably because this is a big move-in week, is that the garbage compactor seems to get full (or people are lazy and don't pitch their trash down it far enough) and the trash overflows onto the walkway to the trash. it doesn't obstruct traffic or anything, but it makes the area look kinda dirty. Just got the electricity bill for the 4 days that we had the apartment in July, 14$, looks like summer will not be a fun time for electricity usage...
So you're still undecided on if it was a good choice or not? I'm starting to wonder if we stopped looking too soon. We looked at four places and decided Mill Creek was the best. Does anyone know anything about the Villas At Murrayville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2009, 02:15 PM
 
Location: on the Beach
135 posts, read 569,935 times
Reputation: 57
I looked at over a dozen and it really was the best that i had seen in the area for the price. If i wasn't going to be at UNCW everyday i would've lived further out at Porter's Neck. It was a lot quieter and nicer. It's hard to tell right off the bat since there a lot of people moving in, thus creating scads of noise, trash, traffic etc.

My roommate found a flea last night and the complex has them bombing the place again. I talked to my adviser at school and mentioned it. She said that they are a big problem down here and she's had them in her place many times. Apparently the best way to get rid of them is to spread Borax all over any carpet/fabric, scrub it in with a brush/broom, let it sit for 30min-hour, and then vaccumm. Then repeat that everyday for a week. Apparently little else actually kills the eggs in the carpet. I'm glad that Mill Creek is paying to have the live ones killed, but i'll have to be doing the upkeep. but from other locals down here it seems like this is a problem for everyone and not just Mill Creek.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 01:06 PM
 
57 posts, read 240,864 times
Reputation: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndshdr07 View Post
Depending on traffic, 20 minutes is pretty reasonable. Last time i drove from Kure to downtown Wilmington it took me about 20 minutes to get there by the back roads. It was also 9 at night when i drove it and most people were off the road, otherwise it is pretty good.

And i could see why rentals in Kure would be more than in Caolina. From what i see all the time, alot of the houses in Kure are bigger and nicer than Carolina, thats just my opinion beacause we vacation in Kure and do not look in Carolina.
Well, now that I've seen both places with my own eyes (visited this past weekend) I can totally understand why Kure is more expensive. It's just a nicer town. I also happened to have a long conversation with a local police officer where I live now, who up until a few months ago was an undercover vice cop in Carolina Beach. Suffice it to say... I'm going with Kure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2009, 03:39 PM
 
1,977 posts, read 2,638,091 times
Reputation: 1919
hieronomus restaurant on market has very good seafood , mid to high priced.

should have warned you about big daddy's , not good.
if you like italian there is freddie's in kure beach , outstanding, by the pier.

fleas might be a problem in apartment complexes [ kind of hard to believe] but they are not anywhere else.

the back roads from kure to wilmington are
dow road , turn right after the food lion goes all the way to kure.

then take river road all the way into wilmington. watch for bicycles on river road.

for what it is worth , if i had to live in an apartment i would live out monkey junction way , 17 street , that area has lots of nice apartment complexes.
seems to be closer to all the action downtown , beaches and so forth , ogden seems out of the way , it is close to mayfaire though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-15-2009, 11:39 PM
 
Location: on the Beach
135 posts, read 569,935 times
Reputation: 57
So i've been working on getting all the school stuff set up. while it might not be the best time to do so, since all the freshmen move in this weekend, I wasn't really left a choice since i had to wait to register. here's some things you ought to know.

Your ID costs money. not just to replace, but to get one in the first place.

Parking is INSANELY expensive. 300 bucks! downtown atlanta charges 600 for a year, my undergrad college it was 100 max for students.

to get either you first have to register, and then wait over night. even then you'll have to wait 2 more days for them to print the parking permit.

driving on campus is nuts. the road system isn't really organized, nor do they seem wide enough to accommodate traffic. this could be a surplus of vehicles on campus though.

the people on campus seem to be pretty nice,...usually. but it also seems that every step of the way there have been fees tacked on, prices marked up, etc. they also seem to be very fond of ticketing and booting vehicles. I'll keep you posted about how classes go etc and if i have any issues with the bursar or anything.

overall things that they've done are rather irritating. I've never had to pay for a student ID unless it was a replacement :/ and the parking is way too expensive.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2009, 08:09 AM
 
Location: Wilmington, NC
431 posts, read 1,012,573 times
Reputation: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by historychic09 View Post
So i've been working on getting all the school stuff set up. while it might not be the best time to do so, since all the freshmen move in this weekend, I wasn't really left a choice since i had to wait to register. here's some things you ought to know.

Your ID costs money. not just to replace, but to get one in the first place.

Parking is INSANELY expensive. 300 bucks! downtown atlanta charges 600 for a year, my undergrad college it was 100 max for students.

to get either you first have to register, and then wait over night. even then you'll have to wait 2 more days for them to print the parking permit.

driving on campus is nuts. the road system isn't really organized, nor do they seem wide enough to accommodate traffic. this could be a surplus of vehicles on campus though.

the people on campus seem to be pretty nice,...usually. but it also seems that every step of the way there have been fees tacked on, prices marked up, etc. they also seem to be very fond of ticketing and booting vehicles. I'll keep you posted about how classes go etc and if i have any issues with the bursar or anything.

overall things that they've done are rather irritating. I've never had to pay for a student ID unless it was a replacement :/ and the parking is way too expensive.
Wow. Not a good start to the school year. What drew you to UNCW for grad school?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top