U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 11:50 AM

5 posts, read 8,054 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My wife and I are moving to NC. She is going to grad school, and the two schools that have her program are ECU and NC State. We just got back from Raleigh, and we were'nt as impressed as we had hoped. It is too urban, and my wife hated NC State's campus.
We are now planning a trip to Greenville to check it out. These boards seem to be very negative towards Greenville. I saw that the crime rate was pretty high too. I have gathered from other threads that there are still some very nice areas as well. Since we are planning to be there for at least a few years, we are going to buy a home instead of renting. We don't want to break the bank because we may need to turn around and sell it if we decide to move after she finishes school.

Here are some links to some homes for sale. Please give me an honest assesment of the surrounding areas.

*** Moderator Edit: It is against forum rules to post links to any real estate company. However you can post the names of the neighborhoods you are interested in.***

These deals seem just too good to be true, so I am assuming that they are. Please give me the scoop on these neighborhoods. Thanks all!!!

- Jeremy

Last edited by linicx; 08-04-2009 at 05:43 PM.. Reason: Removed real estate links
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 02:59 PM

451 posts, read 1,693,114 times
The homes you posted are typical of the prices you will pay in the area. The best area of town is probably off of Firetower Road and in Winterville. Greenville generally has lower real estate costs compared to Raleigh, unless you live in one of the outer suburbs of Raleigh. Raleigh definitely has more upscale amenities and better shopping, although Greenville isn't too bad. Greenville has easier access to the coastal communities which is good for day trips.

Greenville has a good deal of crime, and this year has been a bad one so far.

I went to NC State and loved it, so I hate to hear the comments about campus. It is kinda industrial looking, though.

Good luck with your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina