U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:27 PM

151 posts, read 508,131 times

Advertisements

Ok, I have been reading and writing on these forums and have built up a lot of questions, so if anyone can assist please do. Also, I have been getting a lot responses that just don't relate to my questions so I hope more details will help and some of you will be kind enough to respond with honest and friendly feedback. So here goes:

1. We are looking at three areas: Wilmington area, Charleston, SC and Sarasota, FL--mainly a decent sized town on the water/beaches. If anyone has been to or lived in those areas, how do they compare?
2. What is the real lowdown on snakes? Bugs I can handle, but last night I started looking up snakes in the NC area and was overwhelmed by what I found. How often, in reality, do you run across snakes and how large are they? I don't plan on gardening myself and have 2 large dogs so the yard will be kept really low, etc...of course the usual deflections but please, PLEASE give me the real low down on the snake issue. Would my cat be safe? We don't have large snakes here so I am still learning how to deal with them, etc.
3. How cold and bad does the weather get in the winter? I come from a place where it sucks almost 7 months of the year and can't handle it anymore. 50-60's is ok but less than that and I get grumpy.
4. How is the job market really doing in the area other than what I see on Craigs List? We will have some money already coming in each month and I might have a job that is transferrable for myself but what type of jobs are people seeing out there?
5. How is the actual cost of living? Such as power/heat/air conditioning/water/sewer, etc? Averages? Do you use the heat much in the winter? I would guess A/C would be a must in the summer.
6. Are there dog parks/beaches in the area that allow off-leash options? Sorry, I just recently discovered dog parks since I have never lived with a dog and not a large amount of property--so that may sound like a silly question.
7. What do people do for fun in the area other than hitting the beach? Are there good martini bars or night clubs for early 30-something aged individuals? Examples: where I live now we camp in the mountains, river/lake/ocean fishing, movies in the park, hiking, biking, etc...
8. What is the school schedule? Is it year round with summers off or three on/three off like California? What is there to do for teens and pre-teens?

I am sure I will think of more but thank you to all who answer. p It's a tough decision trying to figure out where to live on the other side of the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 03:21 PM

26 posts, read 73,849 times
I have lived in California I LOVED it I lived in San Diego, my wife and I will soon return!!! lol

Wilmington I have lived in, I LOVED it, try to put your kids in private schools.
Bugs- more south you go, bigger they get
Weather- all depends it can get cold or hot in any of the three places at any time of year
Schools- normal schedule

South Carolina is wonderful also,

I am living in south eastern Florida right now, not much going here, on but you can try it, the other two choices sound nice to me

Have you considered the coast of Georgia?

Old 08-05-2009, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 5,895 times
I am going to retire in St. James Plantation. We looked for over 5 years.
Florida is just so hot and so is South Carolina. I was borned and raised in South Carolina.
Both states are beautiful. I know that South Carolina and North Carolina may have snakes but.... not anymore than the mountains.

For the money and security I like a gated community.

Old 08-05-2009, 03:46 PM

700 posts, read 2,941,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelagardner View Post
Ok, I have been reading and writing on these forums and have built up a lot of questions, so if anyone can assist please do. Also, I have been getting a lot responses that just don't relate to my questions so I hope more details will help and some of you will be kind enough to respond with honest and friendly feedback. So here goes:

1. We are looking at three areas: Wilmington area, Charleston, SC and Sarasota, FL--mainly a decent sized town on the water/beaches. If anyone has been to or lived in those areas, how do they compare?
2. What is the real lowdown on snakes? Bugs I can handle, but last night I started looking up snakes in the NC area and was overwhelmed by what I found. How often, in reality, do you run across snakes and how large are they? I don't plan on gardening myself and have 2 large dogs so the yard will be kept really low, etc...of course the usual deflections but please, PLEASE give me the real low down on the snake issue. Would my cat be safe? We don't have large snakes here so I am still learning how to deal with them, etc.
3. How cold and bad does the weather get in the winter? I come from a place where it sucks almost 7 months of the year and can't handle it anymore. 50-60's is ok but less than that and I get grumpy.
4. How is the job market really doing in the area other than what I see on Craigs List? We will have some money already coming in each month and I might have a job that is transferrable for myself but what type of jobs are people seeing out there?
5. How is the actual cost of living? Such as power/heat/air conditioning/water/sewer, etc? Averages? Do you use the heat much in the winter? I would guess A/C would be a must in the summer.
6. Are there dog parks/beaches in the area that allow off-leash options? Sorry, I just recently discovered dog parks since I have never lived with a dog and not a large amount of property--so that may sound like a silly question.
7. What do people do for fun in the area other than hitting the beach? Are there good martini bars or night clubs for early 30-something aged individuals? Examples: where I live now we camp in the mountains, river/lake/ocean fishing, movies in the park, hiking, biking, etc...
8. What is the school schedule? Is it year round with summers off or three on/three off like California? What is there to do for teens and pre-teens?

I am sure I will think of more but thank you to all who answer. p It's a tough decision trying to figure out where to live on the other side of the country.
If you get grumpy when the temperature gets below the 50's,then you better not come here to Wilmington because it gets way lower than that. It even snowed a little twice last winter. As for the cost of living......way too high and the wages are way too low.

Old 08-05-2009, 09:55 PM

160 posts, read 699,279 times
Wilmington:

Descent employment can be found if you are college educated AND have experience. Otherwise, it's hard to make good money here. Normal 9 month on, summer off school schedule. The public schools absolutely suck here. The snake issue is not an issue. You'll probably never see one unless you go out looking for one and even then it'll take quite a bit of time to actually find one. The cost of living is slighty above average here and rather high for our state. Utilities are reasonable, real estate is not. I think dog parks are mostly for big cities crammed full of highrise housing. People here walk their dogs down the streets of their neighborhood. We have small bugs with big bites. It gets below 50 a LOT in the winter here. Wilmington is loaded with nightlife, bars, plays, museums, art, festivals, ect.

Hope that helps.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 5,895 times
I don't personally see Wilmington as a great place for a career. We live in Atlanta, GA but have bought retirement property in St. James Plantation. I see Wilmington as a small city with a lot of things to do but....not so sure it is a great career move or a place to make a lot of money unless you own your own business, doctor, lawyer etc. I find Wilmington to be wonderful and I cannot wait until we get there.. It is so beautiful and the weather is nice. Only in Florida are you going to get temperatures around 50 year round even then it gets cold. I was born and raised in South Carolina and it get below 50 there.Cost of living is a little high because you are so close to the water. With water comes dollars..... Hope this helps. Snake are no more in Wilmington than any other southern city. Charleston is beautiful but you will find the same there in regards to career. ONLY in larger cities are you going to find the higher wages.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:37 PM

5,822 posts, read 13,310,108 times
Friends live in SC and, due to my irrational fear of snakes, admit to coming across them in their yards especially in the spring.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:42 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,039,288 times
Well, you could always do what I did. I contacted a lot of my neighbors and asked that when they saw a Black Snake, they call me, don't kill it, call me. I captured 8 or 9 of them and turned them loose in different areas of my yard (it is a big yard 11.26 acres, mostly wooded w/2.5 acre clearing) lots of blackberry bushes all around the clearing and driveway. Black Snakes eat poisonous snakes. I still see Black Snakes, we have one that is over 10 ft long, but, even when picking blackberries, we see nothing other than Black Snakes.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:26 AM

36 posts, read 127,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida15 View Post
If you get grumpy when the temperature gets below the 50's,then you better not come here to Wilmington because it gets way lower than that. It even snowed a little twice last winter. As for the cost of living......way too high and the wages are way too low.
..Not here in Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgaw..The average pay here in Burrrrrrrgaw is $10.00...Shucks my neighbor makes $12.00...If you want to make good money then move to Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgaw...But i do know wilmingtom pays as much as $13.00 per hour if your related to certain people..But if not..$10.00-$12.00 which is not bad....

Old 08-22-2009, 09:29 AM

36 posts, read 127,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCGT View Post
Wilmington:

Descent employment can be found if you are college educated AND have experience. Otherwise, it's hard to make good money here. Normal 9 month on, summer off school schedule. The public schools absolutely suck here. The snake issue is not an issue. You'll probably never see one unless you go out looking for one and even then it'll take quite a bit of time to actually find one. The cost of living is slighty above average here and rather high for our state. Utilities are reasonable, real estate is not. I think dog parks are mostly for big cities crammed full of highrise housing. People here walk their dogs down the streets of their neighborhood. We have small bugs with big bites. It gets below 50 a LOT in the winter here. Wilmington is loaded with nightlife, bars, plays, museums, art, festivals, ect.

Hope that helps.
...Also Jerry Springer will be opening his state of the art studio in October in Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgaw!!! !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina