U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 07:22 PM

506 posts, read 2,045,841 times

Advertisements

I will be leaving in the early morning sat ...What is the best time...I have a 2,4 ,6, 7 year old kids....I was thinking if i left at 3 or 4 they might transfer and i could get 3 or 4 hours of sleep into them...how long will it take us at that time( we are staying in Nags Head)...we do not get the house till 2 or 3....i figure we will get breakast at 8 0r 9 when the kids wake up.........p.s. my brother is leaving at 5am will he hit any traffic.....thanks guys for input.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2009, 07:39 AM

470 posts, read 487,295 times
I took that trip in April and I'm going again on Saturday but
I'm going to southport . I'll leave about 4 am on Saturday.
In April the trip took about 12 hrs including lunch in Rocky Mount, NC.
We didn't have any children with us either.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:38 AM

149 posts, read 516,857 times
We have been making the trip to OBX for over 10 years. I've found that if you don't reach the causeway bridge, that leads to the outer banks, by noon you will hit a lot of traffic indeed. You should leave by 3 am at the latest. If you stop for breakfast make it a quick stop. The best thing would be to stop and eat once you are close to your destination. You can bide your time until the house is ready by stolling along the beach or visiting some shops. That is a lot more pleasant way to spend a few hours than sitting in bumper to bumper traffic. What we have often done is drive much of the way on Friday night, stay at a motel, and then continue on the next morning. We take the NJ Turnpike to Del., travel down through Delmarva to the Cheasapeake Bay Bridge. When you are leaving you should also get an early start (6 am at the latest) to avoid traffic leaving OBX. Other than Saturday the traffic is not to bad during the summer. By the way, when traveling through Delmarva mind the speed limit. There are a number of small towns where the limit drops and speed traps are set up.

Old 08-06-2009, 06:22 AM

thanks steve, i will be staying in nags head at the end,{actually the last house in nags Head} can i take 64 will that help with the traffic..... thanks

Old 08-06-2009, 08:34 AM

144 posts, read 608,161 times
Hey West,
The best route from NYC is to go South on I95 to Wilmington Del and then get on Del. 13 south to the "Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel" or "CBBT". There is a $12 toll to cross the CBBT but it will save you 2 to 3 hours over using I95 to I64 in VA. Once you cross the CBBT get on I64 towards Chesapeake or Portsmouth and go to Rt. 168 Exit South to Nagshead. Steve is right about the 12noon cutoff on the causeway. You want to try to be at the NC/VA border by 10am or you will sit in traffic for long periods of time. If you don't make it to NC/VA by 10am I would opt to roll in after 5pm. You might want to check and make sure you can still get in at the place your staying by that time. He's also right about the traps in DelMarVa all through there they are tough and will get you if you continually speed in their towns.
I hope all goes well for you and that you enjoy your time down here.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:46 AM

12 hours to Nagshead seems a little long we've been able to make it from Moyock to Philadelphia in 8 hours. (Obeying all the speed limits) Others make the Philly run in 6 hours. Mapquest says 8 hours and 3 minutes. That sounds a little more reasonable.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:19 PM

149 posts, read 516,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westchester View Post
thanks steve, i will be staying in nags head at the end,{actually the last house in nags Head} can i take 64 will that help with the traffic..... thanks
We always stay in Corolla which is in the other direction on OBX. Sorry, don't know much about 64. Maybe someone else can help you there. From Parsippany, NJ 9 hours would be a good time.

Old 08-07-2009, 05:31 AM

thanks.all.......any ideas on 64 and how long it will take me if i leave at 3 am.....

Old 08-07-2009, 07:20 AM

I'm sorry, I'm a little confused. Which 64 are you referring to? I64 in VA or NC64 in Carolina or is there another 64 that I don't know about? If you go South on I95 to Richmond, VA and then take I64 south to Norfolk, VA then onto Rt. 168 South to Nags Head, NC. You will add at least 2 hours to your trip possibly 3 hours (depending on the traffic around Washington DC). Steve is saying almost 10 from NYC so add 2 hours to that. About 12 hours. Going through the Delmarva is slower "speed limit-wise" and "stop light-wise", but it will save you about 2 to 3 hours overall. The directions in Delaware to go the "Del-Mar-Va" are a little tricky but not bad. I would be glad to give you good directions if you like. Although, skipping the Del-Mar-Va Peninsula will save you that $12 toll each way. There are other tolls as well either way but the CBBT is definitely more expensive.

Old 08-07-2009, 04:54 PM

nc64 in carolina sorry for mix up.....leaving tonite at 3 am what is the besst route....thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina