U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 03:02 AM

53 posts, read 112,732 times

Advertisements

I have recently seen some homes listed in multiple beach communities and they are listed as non rebuildable. What does that mean? Does the designation ever change? Would you buy a beach house that you can't rebuild if there is a fire or natural disaster?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 02:16 PM

160 posts, read 699,279 times
A non-rebuildable ocean front lot is designated as such when the lot has eroded to the point where there is no longer enough lot space to meet setbacks or because the dune line has moved or eroded. Once a water front lot has been designated as non-rebuildable, it is VERY unlikely that designation would ever change. Buying one of those homes is risky because it only takes one hurricane to destroy a several hundred thousand dollar investment. I personally would never buy one but people do it all the time. They usually transfer in the 200-300k price range which wasn't a bad deal when most ocean front homes were above one million dollars a few years ago but now you can get an ocean front home on a rebuildable lot for less than 700k.

Old 08-09-2009, 02:24 PM

1,948 posts, read 2,630,783 times
to me the answer is pretty obvious , NO

it would be like investing money that you for sure never would get back.

Old 08-09-2009, 03:41 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
I wonder if you can even insure one?

Old 08-10-2009, 03:31 PM

452 posts, read 2,127,146 times
I wonder too....I know what happened to Ocean Isle Beach during Hazel, and there was a whole row of houses lost...now ocean front houses, are ones that used to be 2nd row back until the beach eroded after hurricanes came in. So I always wonder how long it will be until today's ocean front homes, are tomorrow's- well, *surf*. How long til the houses that were on the 3rd row in the 50s, are oceanfront? It would only take ONE hurricane to destroy that whle beach again.

I wonder about the insurance situation, too. From the stories I hear about Hurricane Hazel, it would make me afraid to buy on Ocean Isle Beach--I would SURELY NOT buy, if it was nonrebuildable or uninsurable, or would not be insured to be rebuilt as it was before. My guess is that people who have these front row homes know what could happen and are taking their chances, thinking they'll be able to enjoy the home for one lifetime or retirement and not thinking of any more down the road than that...they're not buying for investment, I don't think. Just to enjoy and probably for rental income.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina