U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 07:08 PM

214 posts, read 736,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
What is the best place to live in NC near a beach without hurricane destruction?
I'm an almost 30 year resident of the NC Coast and I will answer that question in one word: Nowhere.
No place in North Carolina (Yep-The entire state) is safe from the destructive forces of a hurricane.
You might want to do a CD search on hurricanes and flooding.
I agree entirely with Bill, since you are from the Maryland area, then I am positive you are well acquainted with Hurricanes whether living on the coast or not. Hey they just discovered a crack in the Bay Bridge (Chesapeake Bay, that is), thankfully I don't have to commute over that anymore.
So you see it is a toss up, no matter where one lives there will be forces of nature beyond our control. However, I do believe we have a better tracking system for hurricanes as opposed to earthquakes, tornadoes, tsunami's, mudslides, wildfires, did I miss anything?Oh yeah, forgot, hurricanes are tracked better than foreign Pilots flying into buildings, killing millions, and causing devastation for years.
Let's all bow our heads in remembrance of 9/11, and this guy is worried about Hurricanes, best stay where you are, that's the best advice I can give you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 PM

7 posts, read 21,551 times
Thank you for your service!!!!! The Wilmington area is better than Topsail as far as hurricane history goes - but any coastal area has a possibility of getting hit. During one of the last hurricanes it was the inland counties that were affected the worst. I'd suggest that you drive around and visit a few of the towns because they each have a different "feel" about them that you might prefer one over the other. Moorehead City is different from Little River and Wilmington, but I like them all.

Old 07-21-2011, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,751 times
I'm not worried too much about hurricanes as which communities are best for families. We'd love beach front property but are concerned that the school systems may suffer in such a touristy transient area. Any thoughts?
Thanks!

Old 07-22-2011, 04:48 AM

4 posts, read 8,716 times
Hi Wayne,
Thank you for your service to our country. I've been looking at NC for a while now and like the Calabash-Sunset Beach area. I think you could find a home in your price range there. So could I, but first have to convince my lovely bride that we need to abandon the sinking ship that NY has become. The other responders provided some good storm advice. Good luck and please be safe over there.
Best,
Robert

Old 08-31-2015, 06:48 PM

3 posts, read 2,979 times
Hey Wayne (wrobbins05),

How did you make out with location selection and how far are you from the beach? I currently reside in the North East, and while reading through your post here, I am looking for the same with warmer climate, close to beach and similar house budget. This cold is getting old!

Thanks for the help!

KJ

Old 08-31-2015, 06:56 PM

4,639 posts, read 4,810,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kjrockman View Post
Hey Wayne (wrobbins05),

How did you make out with location selection and how far are you from the beach? I currently reside in the North East, and while reading through your post here, I am looking for the same with warmer climate, close to beach and similar house budget. This cold is getting old!

Thanks for the help!

KJ
Wayne hasn't posted in 6 years, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for his response.

Old 09-01-2015, 02:52 PM

4,957 posts, read 2,200,082 times
You are asking for lottery numbers. In the past 20 years Raleigh and Charlotte have suffered extensive damage from hurricanes and they are three hours from the coast.

Old 09-06-2015, 05:57 AM

1,658 posts, read 1,861,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Yeah, I'm well aware of how the NWS rates hurricanes. The fact is the really, really bad stuff doesn't start happening until you hit 4 & 5.

13 MAJOR (as defined by NWS) hurricanes since 1879 isn't quite a few. Since the 50's there have only been 5 MAJOR hurricanes.

My point was that hardly anybody that is alive today, and has always lived in NC, has been through a bad hurricane. Taking the advice from someone that has never been through one over the advice of the NWS is a bad idea.
I totally disagree. Check back on what Fran (1996) and Floyd (1999) did to Eastern NC when they hit. They totally devastated large portions of the region, especially Floyd. There is far more destructive damage a hurricane can cause besides just wind speeds. Try large parts of Greenville, Wilson, Kinston, Jacksonville and several other towns being underwater and without power for weeks. That was pretty massive destruction to me. Had the entire region shut down for weeks back in 1999.

Bottom line to the OP is that there is nowhere on the NC coast or even east of 95 that is safe from a hurricane. Northeast NC is the safest part but even then it's not full proof.

EDIT: Just noticed this was a 2011 post. The hurricane advice is still accurate though.

Old 09-06-2015, 03:25 PM

10,829 posts, read 15,132,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Wayne hasn't posted in 6 years, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for his response.

Wayne only posted twice, both on the same date in 2009.

I am praying that Wayne, in the Army at the time in Iraq, made it back to the USA safe and sound, and is happily residing in his own home regardless of what area he chose.

Old 09-07-2015, 12:03 PM

149 posts, read 201,460 times
A few comments about Wrightsville Beach/Wilmington. It's an area with good economic activity, so you have a good chance of getting a job. There is a pretty nice bike path that runs to the beach, (it's separate from the road). You can google to find a map of it. This would let you live far enough from the beach so you can afford it, and also be protected from the storm surge of a hurricane, but close enough to easily/safely bike there. The Oak Island area is much more affordable, but getting a job in the area would be tough.

No where in NC is totally safe from hurricanes. In 1989 Hugo came ashore, and some of the worse damage was in Charlotte.
The leaves were on the trees...and the trees came down. Almost every power pole in the area was broken...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina