U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 08:47 AM

5 posts, read 19,374 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm looking for a home near or on the beach in North carolina. Where is a nice place to have a home that is not too touristy. I'm concerned about hurricanes but that comes with the territory. A place close to shopping and beach. Also does anyone live further inland and drive to the beach. I would be willing to drive 2 or 3 hours to get to the beach if it means no flooding from bad weather. I live in philly, suburbs now and takes about 2 hours to get to the New Jersey beaches. I just hate the fast pace, over populated **** towns here. And I have a lot of money to spend. Thanks in advance for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 09:45 AM

648 posts, read 2,738,743 times
First thoughts are Emerald Isle and Calabash. Most beach areas in NC are touristy, from hotel areas to the more common weekly house rentals. These two areas get their share of tourists, but there's a year-round component as well.

Old 04-25-2007, 10:49 AM

4,299 posts, read 13,647,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwoods View Post
Hi, I'm looking for a home near or on the beach in North carolina. Where is a nice place to have a home that is not too touristy. I'm concerned about hurricanes but that comes with the territory. A place close to shopping and beach. Also does anyone live further inland and drive to the beach. I would be willing to drive 2 or 3 hours to get to the beach if it means no flooding from bad weather. I live in philly, suburbs now and takes about 2 hours to get to the New Jersey beaches. I just hate the fast pace, over populated **** towns here. And I have a lot of money to spend. Thanks in advance for your help.

I was going to say Emerald Isle also. That would be my choice but it depends what you mean by shopping. If you want a mall they don't have one. I'd love to buy a place there though.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:23 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,622,254 times
Hi you mention you are willing to drive 3 hours so that gives you alot of options if looking at a map any city and including from Greensboro down to Charlotte a 3 hour beach trip can be made. No area of this state is immune from hurricane damage whether it be flooding or wind damage or mud slides about all areas of this state has experience one of the above.

The southern portion of outerbanks is non touristy mostly just rental houses due to regulation also check out Vacation & Rental

Old 04-25-2007, 12:41 PM

Thanks everyone. Maybe NC is not for me. I have been looking at Virginia. But they also get flooding bad too at times.

Old 04-25-2007, 12:57 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,579,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldwoods View Post
Thanks everyone. Maybe NC is not for me. I have been looking at Virginia. But they also get flooding bad too at times.
Before you give up, check out New Bern

Old 04-25-2007, 01:04 PM

Far as flooding it really depends on terrain you live near for instance land that is in a flood plain vs a home no where near a river. Hurricanes dont scare me for some reason I guess because I live inland close to Charlotte but I also would feel safe in Raleigh Durham as long as I didnt live near one of the lakes, creeks, or rivers.

Only thing that has bother me with Hurricanes is the ones with wind but that was mainly of living in a house with a oak tree 3 feet from my bedroom window. I wasnt worry about wind doing damage to the house but what it would knock down if that makes sense.

I guess I accept hurricanes like Californians accept earthquakes. If experiencing a hurricane really concerns you I would take the time hurricane was forcasted in a area to take a mini vacation to visit your friends in PA.

Btw PA has not been immune from hurricane damage the state was affected from Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Floyd, and Hurricane Isabel.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:11 PM

Living in pa my whole life floyd was the worst. We had some water in the basement and it was a big mess. But other than that it's ice storms and snow storms that cause some problems. I guess I can't complain some places in the US have some bad problems with weather. North carolina is just so beautiful. with mountains beaches and lakes. It seem like PA with beaches and less people.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:33 PM

I would have to agree with above poster on New Bern for coastal living and not fear major hurricane damage even though I know it not immune of it and I was reading similar posts on New Bern and people of the area have similar view.

The other choice would be Greeenville NC but in the section that wasnt in hurricane floyd flood plain zone.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:38 PM

80 posts, read 435,972 times
Coldwoods-

I lived in North Carolina for 25 years and have been in Virginia for the past 11. You can't really go wrong with either state for what you are seeking. I, too, think New Bern might be what you are looking for. Brunswick County and Wilmington should be strong considerations as well.

If you want to go toward Virginia, Williamsburg may be a good option. Williamsburg has a number of solid communities with quite a few people from the Northeast who have settled there (and it's not all touristy).
Moderator cut: Soliciting business
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina