U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 AM

551 posts, read 1,698,530 times

Advertisements

We are moving to Wilmington shortly and are Catholic. Any other Catholics here with comments on the different churches and what they are like. I am asking in the most respectful possible way, would just like to know what any one can tell us. Here in Raleigh there are a lot of differences between the different churches.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2009, 08:52 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,113,120 times
St. Mary's on Ann Street.

Old 08-16-2009, 04:59 AM

Thanks mm_mary, what distinguishes St. Mary's? Are there parking issues? My husband is handicapped so we can't go along way.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:28 PM

7 posts, read 11,638 times
I just visited Wilmington and attended mass at St. Mark Catholic Center near Wrightsville Beach. It is an enormous complex with different facilities, but the mass was in a chapel off the main sanctuary and it was quite intimate. There were people of all ages at mass, and the young people in the pub at the beach knew of the Center. I talked to Father Carlson after the mass and he was very pleasant.

I wish I could give you more info -- I am from Chicago and am hoping to relocate to NC in the near future.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:30 PM

Oh, forgot to tell you that parking seemed abundant, though I don't know how crowded it gets on Sunday (we went to mass on a weeknight). I'm sure that there are facilities for your husband should he need help to get to church -- there were at least three enormous buildings, a beautiful garden. It just seems like the kind of place that has everything.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Sundaze,

Sorry for being so disorganized and posting a third time, but I just realized that you are coming from Raleigh which is another place I am considering moving.

I am employed by the Archdiocese of Chicago and would like your insight into the Diocese of Raleigh. I hear that Charlotte is quite "Catholic" (second largest denomination there), but do you think I could find employment in Raleigh? Or are there not many Catholic churches there?

Thank you so much for any help you could give me!

Old 08-18-2009, 10:11 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,113,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sundaze View Post
Thanks mm_mary, what distinguishes St. Mary's? Are there parking issues? My husband is handicapped so we can't go along way.
It is a beautiful, inclusive church with handicap parking. I go there when I visit my son.

Old 08-19-2009, 04:56 AM

Thanks mm_mary and Lucy. I don't know anything about the employment possibilities in Raleigh but there are a lot of Catholic churches here. I just looked it up and North Carolina is 10% Catholic. I googled (if I can't use that word here, I used a search engine) and there is a lot of information on statistics on where there are Catholics in NC. My impression is that the number is increasing because of transplants from the northeast. My impression (which could sure be wrong) is back in Maryland where I came here from, where Roman Catholicism is the biggest denomination, not that many younger people attended Mass, here the Masses are full of young families. There is a lot different feel though, please send me a private message if you want to know more.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:49 PM

4 posts, read 4,849 times
This is like four years late, so I don't know if you still need advice, but I am a Catholic who lived in Wilmington for a year, and thought I'd post this just in case anyone else needs it!
St. Mary's Parish / Shrine: This one is downtown, very small, and very beautiful inside and out! (Very traditional facade) I know there are several masses on Saturday / Sunday and several in Spanish. I've never really attended any event there, so I don't know about the community--whether it's diverse, liberal, conservative, or what!
St. Mark: This church is HUGE, literally thousands of people there every Sunday! It's on Eastwood (main Wilmington road to Wrightsville Beach), so a nice trip to the beach after mass isn't too unreasonable! The current priest is very nice and seems genuinely spiritual. Lots of young families and people of all ages. Racially, there are some Asians during English masses, and of course, lots of Hispanic people during Spanish services. People there are a little crazy, they kind of do there own thing during church. (Ex. During the "Our Father" in any given pew, one person has their arms outstretched like they're doing some kind of "Kumbaya", one has their arms out but not holding anyone's hands, another pair is holding hands, and the last person has their hands clasped and head down & during Communion things start to get CRAY with people running in different directions) As could be expected from such a varied place, the community seems very lenient and dynamic. (objectively speaking)
UNCW Catholic Center: They had mass on Sundays at 5:30 during the school year (and started having an 11:00 near the end of the academic year), except holidays. The church is in this smaller house, which is set up very nice, but I prefer actual an actual church when I go to church. (Hence "I'm going to *church*", not "I'm going to this make-shift house thing for church") Anyway, there are a number of college students who go there (myself included, for a time), and they are real friendly. The people in charge of the community are pretty lenient and seem more toward the liberal / progressive side, just objectively speaking.
St. Therese: This one is on the beach...enough said. xD Seriously though, it's beautiful on the inside, a very small community, and two steps from the Atlantic Ocean...what's not to like!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina