U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 08:43 AM

1 posts, read 8,466 times

Advertisements

I want to stay on the coast and take classes near boone. Any suggestions?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2009, 01:09 PM

60 posts, read 166,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandraaneska View Post
I'm assuming you mean at the same time - as that is how it comes across.
I hope you like loooooonnng drives!!! Boone is not too far from Black Mountain area. I lived in Shallotte, and it took a good 5 hours, if not longer, ( been awhile ) to make the trip to Black Mountain.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:20 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
you are talking 7 to 8 hour trip

Old 08-16-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
you are talking 7 to 8 hour trip
Just out of curiosity, are you speaking of to the Shallotte/Wilmington area? or to farther north - to the Outer Banks, etc? I'm assuming, due to the lay of the road system, it would add on additional drive time to go to the Northern Coast of NC. I couldn't really remember -it's been about 10 years since I made the trip. I was really thinking about 6 1/2 hours to Black Mountain area from Shallotte - but couldn't recall- so I went for "at least 5 hours" instead.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:24 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,576,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonetocarolina View Post
Just out of curiosity, are you speaking of to the Shallotte/Wilmington area? or to farther north - to the Outer Banks, etc? I'm assuming, due to the lay of the road system, it would add on additional drive time to go to the Northern Coast of NC. I couldn't really remember -it's been about 10 years since I made the trip. I was really thinking about 6 1/2 hours to Black Mountain area from Shallotte - but couldn't recall- so I went for "at least 5 hours" instead.
the op did not ask about black mounatin but the city of boone
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 08-16-2009, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
the op did not ask about black mounatin but the city of boone
I know. But I wrote:
Quote:
I'm assuming you mean at the same time - as that is how it comes across.
I hope you like loooooonnng drives!!! Boone is not too far from Black Mountain area. I lived in Shallotte, and it took a good 5 hours, if not longer, ( been awhile ) to make the trip to Black Mountain.
I was trying to get a picture for the general drive time between the two areas, as I can't seem to recall. Also, wondering if the time you listed between Boone and the coast is for the Southern coast or Northern coast.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:02 PM

57 posts, read 139,704 times
Unless you want to drive 6+ hours one way, it is not possible to take classes in Boone, and live on the coast.

Old 08-17-2009, 10:27 AM

983 posts, read 3,521,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandraaneska View Post
Your only options are online classes.

Old 08-17-2009, 11:35 AM

19,502 posts, read 17,742,092 times
6 hours easy from anywhere along the coast to Boone.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:41 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,694,136 times
Dear Sandra,
You know the saying, "You can't get there from here," well that applies to Boone. NC is a very wide state, 500 miles, with Boone up in the northwest mountains, and the east coast is all the way on the other side of the state. Some people in the mountains, especially in Asheville, will take a southerly route to the SC beaches, by taking I26 heading southeast, and in four or five hours you can get to the Myrtle Beach and Charleston SC area. But if you did that from Boone, you'd have to add a couple more hours at least, to travel from the northwest mountains to the southwest mountains. I hope this makes sense. Get a map out, or go to MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map, and type in "Boone NC" as your city and state, then expand the map so you can see the whole state, and you'll see what we're all talking about here.

If you want to live on coastal NC and take classes, you could just live in Wilmington NC, go to UNCW, and you'd be within ten minutes or so of the ocean. But if you are set on taking classes in Boone, you'll prefer taking advantage of all the skiing and hiking activities, but no way can you make it to a NC or SC beach while you're up there, except maybe during a long weekend or vacation times. Must be you think Boone is near the beach, but it's not. It's not in the coastal area at all, rather the mountains of NC, hundreds of miles apart. Seems like I remember figuring out one time that you can get to NYC from the mountains in almost the same amount of time as it would take you to get to the beach. In fact, NC has one of the largest highway patrol units in the country, becuz it is such a wide state, kinda of like how California is a tall state.
GG
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina