U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,954 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm a 24 year old looking to move to NC beginning of next year to be closer to my boyfriend of two years, who is a Marine at Lejeune, currently in Afghanistan. I'm torn between Jacksonville and Wilmington.

Jacksonville- Seems to have more jobs but the surrounding areas seem a little shady? Where should I live/stay away from? Good chance to meet people?

Wilmingston- Less jobs, more things to do. Where should I live/stay away from? Younger town?

I'm currently in Chicago working in finance, but I'm not all too fond of my job so this move is a great chance to start over. I want to be close to my boyfriend (in Topsail) but obviously, I need a job first and to be in a place I like. I'm used to having lots to do and meeting people in the city is super easy. Any suggestions would be MUCH appreciated!

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 02:12 PM

70 posts, read 162,001 times
I live in Wilmington and the job situation right now is pretty awful. However I would suggest a trip or check for crime statistics for apartments if you have to do an apartment. When we were trying to pick an apartment complex in another town for my daughter I googled crime statistics for that area and read reviews for apartments. I'm a realtor so I usually tell folks to ride through a neighborhood at different times and definitely on the week-ends. You can usually look at how the folks take care of their homes.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,828,919 times
Try a search going in the other direction, toward carteret and Craven county, even pitt (greenville). also , what field are you looking to work in?

Old 08-19-2009, 03:10 PM

693 posts, read 1,408,747 times
Wilmington is a hike, and traffic terrible. Jacksonville does not have a lot of character as a town - it is primarily built around the base. I would actually think job prospects would be best in Wilmington, but ENC in general is pretty abysmal for professional jobs right now. New Bern is a pleasant place to live (yes I'm biased ), but also quite a hike from Topsail. What about Morehead City? The job market isn't hot there either though. Regardless of the area, you might have to accept a position that you normally wouldn't take just to keep the $$ rolling in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina