U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 06:52 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,706,899 times

Advertisements

Dear Marc,
Keep looking into New Bern, which you mentioned in your original post. I think it might work as an inbetween place choice between coastal and inland, supposedly they don't get the full force of hurricanes, it's less than an hour to the beach, and has both historical districts and retirement communities. I had previously posted with a link, but apparently the web address I typed in for the link came out advertisement-heavy, so the whole post was removed, but you can do a web search for New Bern as is written up in the Insider's Guide for I think the Crystal Coast, the link I gave took most of its info from that magazine.
GG

Last edited by gigimac; 08-24-2009 at 07:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 11:38 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,368,406 times
"supposedly they don't get the full force of hurricanes"
Oh no-Please do not think that since something isn't on the beach-Directly located on the beach that the force & effect of a hurricane is automatically diminished.
Big, big mistake. Besides I can tell you that New Bern and surrounding area has a problem that we down here don't have to face. Inland flooding from creeks and rivers. Which by the way is the number one killer associatd with hurricanes. Not coastal flooding, Not wind but Inland flooding.
Bill

Old 08-24-2009, 04:52 PM

693 posts, read 1,410,556 times
I wouldn't let hurricanes be a deciding factor. The chance of your house being completely destroyed or made uninhabitable is so slim it's not worth factoring in. Yes of course there's the chance, but it's a slight chance. Certain areas of New Bern have had problems with flooding and are affected by storm surge, but you'll know what areas do when you start investigating homes. When Isabel came through in 2003 (only a Cat 2), the wind and rain were crazy, but I had zero home damage. Lots of yard debris though! Homes in parts of the east were really destroyed with the flooding Floyd caused - hence you see a lot of homes built on pilings/stilts now.

Regardless, it's such a slight chance that I don't think it's worth factoring. You probably have more chance of your home being damaged by falling limbs and trees caused by ice storms in the center and western parts of the state (and no, I have no stats to back it up, but that's where I grew up and experience-wise that's what my personal opinion says ).

Hurricanes are dramatic, but coastal living is also beautifully dramatic. The advantages far outweigh the risks on a daily basis. I hope you come!

Old 10-26-2009, 03:34 PM

5 posts, read 6,673 times
Bill,
Have you made a decision yet? I would be happy to show you why I enjoy the Pinehurst Southern Pines area, centrally located an easy distance from both the ocean and the mountains if I feel the need for a getaway. And happy to help you with your real estate needs here too! (www.jillsellspinehurst.com)
Jill Ford
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina