U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 03:41 PM

844 posts, read 2,676,754 times

Advertisements

Wife and I are retiring in two years, and were trying to decide between New Bern area, Shallotte area, or Pinehurst area; Then I saw the numbers of hurricane hits the NC coast had, and am really concerned.

I wouldn't mind having to evacuate, and maybe having to do some repairs at this age, but I'm just thinking if I want to deal with evacuating and possible considerable losses when we're in or 80's.

The Shallotte area is in the "lowlands", and not sure how that compares with the New Bern area as far as possible serious flooding etc.

Anyway, just wondering how you guys made the decision to live on the coast area, VS inland area?

Thank you,.....marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 04:06 PM

160 posts, read 699,405 times
I've lived in Wilmington for 20 years. I was here for Bertha and Fran that hit directly over Wilmington and I was here for all the other hurricanes that came close to our area over the past 20 years. I have never evacuated my home for a hurricane and I never will unless there is a forced evacuation or unless I'm living in a water front home or on a barrier island. Hurricanes are serious but are overplayed in the media. They should be respected for sure but don't be afraid of them. The average citizen of Wilmington usually has one or two trees down in their yard, a half dozen shingles missing from the roof and a lot of yard cleaning to do after a MAJOR hurricane. That's all. Not to say that homes don't get damaged but it's the exception, not the rule unless you are right on the water. If a hurricane hits the coast and rolls inland over Pinehurst, you'll be more likely to sustain serious structural damage there than here on the coast simply because of our local building code. Ask the folks in Charlotte (which is much further inland) how well they faired during their last hurricane experience. It wasn't good.

I'm not saying Wilmington is any better than Pinehurst or Shallotte for retirement, I'm just saying don't let the possibility of a hurricane worry you to much.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:24 PM

1,958 posts, read 2,633,103 times
i can only second NCGT's statement!

hurricanes are a little blown out of proportion on tv .
yes you do have to respect them but why give up living at the coast, if that is really what you want?

we had a house in hanby beach thru about five hurricanes , two were really bad , life goes on.

it is all about what size risk you as a person is willing to live with.

Old 08-21-2009, 09:43 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,209,016 times
There are better reasons to move inland than hurricanes.

Insurance, flooding, traffic, cost of living, hassle of living, obnoxious people - all are worse on the coast. People are willing to tolerate a mediocre quality of life, in exchange for access to salt water.

Not to mention, you can get hammered by a hurricane in southern pines almost as easily as you could in Shallotte.

Old 08-21-2009, 10:14 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,882 times
rubber_factory,
Interesting comments about the coast especially ".......traffic, cost of living, hassle of living, obnoxious people".

That's why I left NYC for the NC Coast. To get away from all of those things. Actually-It was for a weeks vacation. But 30 years later I'm still here!

Now I'm not going to get in a debate about beach traffic at 4th of July or some public beach access on a Saturday afternoon or whatever. Yep-It tends to get a bit miserable in those situations. That's why I avoid them.
There are just way too many beach and water opportunities along the entire inner and outer coastal NC to get caught up in the pinpoint, isolated areas of hustle and bustle and mess.

Actually-Your comments are quite ironic. the number one complaint I see posted is that there is nothing here (Besides the beauty of the coast) or nothing to do.
Bill

Old 08-21-2009, 10:26 AM

10 posts, read 190,716 times
Coastal NC has some wonderful towns with diverse groups of people. There are many, many people here from the NE that enjoy the easy access from this area to go back and visit without the hassle of living with snow.

Any coastal area will attract a wide range of people and income levels. Most come to the coast because they love the water and all of the amenities that go with a coastal environment.

If you are torn, consider renting an apartment during the hurricane season in each area, talk to the locals, visit the stores, explore things to do within an hours drive.

The one thing that you can count on is no snow to speak of, no icicles hanging from your gutters and rarely a need for firewood. So sell that snowblower and explore!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:06 AM

160 posts, read 699,405 times
I spent the first 20 years of my life about 120 miles inland, the last 20 years have been here on the coast and it's no contest as to which has been better. I may leave Wilmington one day but I'll never live away from the water again.

Old 08-21-2009, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
rubber_factory,
Interesting comments about the coast especially ".......traffic, cost of living, hassle of living, obnoxious people".

That's why I left NYC for the NC Coast. To get away from all of those things. Actually-It was for a weeks vacation. But 30 years later I'm still here!

Now I'm not going to get in a debate about beach traffic at 4th of July or some public beach access on a Saturday afternoon or whatever. Yep-It tends to get a bit miserable in those situations. That's why I avoid them.
There are just way too many beach and water opportunities along the entire inner and outer coastal NC to get caught up in the pinpoint, isolated areas of hustle and bustle and mess.
It all depends on your perspective, Bill, and New York City is not a factor in mine.

When making comparisons between inland NC and coastal NC, I don't factor New York City into the process any more than I would consider Tokyo, or the middle of the Sahara desert.

Quote:
Actually-Your comments are quite ironic. the number one complaint I see posted is that there is nothing here (Besides the beauty of the coast) or nothing to do.
Bill
Perhaps you spend more time reading complaints from people who have urban perspectives.

My experience is that living inland, in a place like Greensboro or Columbia, the average person will earn more money, pay lower taxes/insurance/utilities, pay lower cost for most goods, assets, and services, and deal with less traffic - not to mention the more subjective negative qualities I associated with coastal life. An individual needs to gauge his or her tolerance for these problems, and weigh them against his or her desire to live near the water.

I decided that living near the coast was worth it for me at this point in time. I'm just bringing up what I percieve to be the lesser-known counterpoint, and it is not the threat of hurricanes.

Last edited by le roi; 08-21-2009 at 02:20 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 06:10 PM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,882 times
The coast is not for everyone (The Outer banks for even fewer). It has its big negatives.
I guess the same could be said about living in the blue ridge mountains. Cold, snow-Always going up steep inclines, or even worse-The opposite.
Now that I think about it, big metro areas like Charlotte,Raleigh, Greensboro, etc. aren't for everyone either.

Or how about a university town-Like Durham,Greenville,Chapel Hill or Wilmington. Who would want to live there?? Kids,parties and who knows what!
You know-I bet few people would want to live by a military installation too like in Fayetteville,Goldsboro or Havelock.

Why, It looks like I just eliminated the entire state of North Carolina.
The only think left is cow country, corn rows and soy fields-Nothing to do there!!!

Each place is best suited for a specific person, not all people.
HHHHmmmmm.............Imagine that. Maybe that's why Baskin-Robins sells more than just vanilla ice cream.

rubber_factory- you're quite obviously a smart fellow. And by your posts in years past-Have been non-too happy with the Wilmington area housing market.
I wish you well. I wish you happiness. I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 08-24-2009, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hitchcock View Post
Each place is best suited for a specific person, not all people.
The issue is giving the OP the tools to make the decision, "Torn between the coast or inland." I have some experience in this.

Quote:
rubber_factory- you're quite obviously a smart fellow. And by your posts in years past-Have been non-too happy with the Wilmington area housing market.
I wish you well. I wish you happiness. I hope you find what you are looking for.
Thanks bill. I live at the beach, so I've found what I'm looking for (for the time being).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina