U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2009, 04:31 PM

1 posts, read 1,790 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are planning to move south from our home in rural PA. Can anyone give me information about a smaller community closer to the East with low real estate costs. We'd love to be close to the ocean but I realize the real estate prices are higher the closer to the ocean you get. Or am I wrong? We know very little about NC. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 05:24 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,891,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerjohn View Post
Hi. My husband and I are planning to move south from our home in rural PA. Can anyone give me information about a smaller community closer to the East with low real estate costs. We'd love to be close to the ocean but I realize the real estate prices are higher the closer to the ocean you get. Or am I wrong? We know very little about NC. Thanks.
It will be more expensive on the beach, but back away from the shore line and many reasonable sites are available. Be careful of developments with no homes, just building lots. Wander around google maps to find many nice places. Go down I40 from Raleigh to Wilmington, for example. A friend says Wilson is the ideal retirement spot.
We moved to rural Raleigh from Enola PA and we love it here.

Old 08-22-2009, 09:49 AM

5,371 posts, read 9,862,107 times
My suggestion would be to prioritize your needs. Many things to consider, and once you figure out your non-negotiable features, you'll be able to do a better targeted search..

What amenities must you have?

-How close to big box stores/shopping malls do you want to be?

-Do you want acreage?

-What's your price range for your new home--or rental fee range?

-How close to a medical center do you want/need to be?

-Do you want a town with a working downtown, Main Street environment?
-Do you want to walk to the library and grocery store?

-Do you want a community or senior center?

-Do you want an active cultural scene--plays, live music, art galleries, festivals and such?

-Do you want to be in a community that has a community college or a university or state college?

-Do you want close access to hiking, biking or camping or kayaking? Or other special interests you have?

After you decide on these, it will make your search--and our ability to help you--easier.

There are many small NC towns that have affordable housing costs that are within 1-2 hours of the beach, but which one's right for you? Tell us more.

Old 08-22-2009, 08:34 PM

713 posts, read 3,472,030 times
Smile A little pricing information

Quote:
Low is relative term but it is easy to give you a few base numbers.

In Carteret County there are some single family homes that can be had within 8-10 miles of the beach for around $150K, the supply increases as you get to $165K.

You can find condos cheaper than that, but they have monthly fees.

If you go 20 to 30 miles inland, you can likely find single family homes in the $135k range.

I am not talking about fixer uppers, but homes you could move into without problems.

It is very hard doing apples to apples comparison since location has so much to do with it, and often homes in one area are very different than homes in another area.

If the first numbers are low enough for you, it is likely you can find a home in Carteret County close to the water since no part of Carteret is very far from the water.

There are a lot of other variables, but in general most people find the cost of living reasonable at the coast.

I have a blog which discusses living at the coast. You can find it at this link.

It specifically deals with living in Carteret County along NC's Crystal Coast.

You can get a feel for the area from this interactive map.

Old 08-25-2009, 04:03 PM

2 posts, read 3,151 times
Have the ideal location for you. After two years of looking we finally found exactly what we wanted.
It's Calabash, N.C. a quaint little town, 8 miles to Sunset Beach, a beautiful beach. The drive to the beach is along the shoreline and takes 15 minutes tops, no traffic, no lights. There is also another beach Ocean Isle, another nice beach, ten minutes further. In the middle of town the fishing and shrimp boats come in, and also have charter fishing boats. Right there you have about 8 restaurants, three on the waterfront.
Calabash, Carolina Shores, and Ocean Isle all are next to each other. Any one is a grat location.
Taxes are very low, homes are fairly price.

Calabash is 4 miles to North Carolina, which also has a nice area called Little River , but only a small area is really nice, with the beach within a few miles.

North Carolina is great, but I know these area and recommend them.

Hope I've helped.

Regards,

Dennis

Old 08-25-2009, 04:18 PM

148 posts, read 555,433 times
There is a 3brm/2bth brick home, 1236sft, detached 2 car garage all on a semi private home with community boat ramp, 2 miles from the ICW, 3 miles from the ocean all for $149.900...in Cape Carteret NC.....there is nothing else around of the quality and price and stature around....Thesae are the types of homes one wishes in a small, coastal, area...cloase to medical, college, library, ocean, fishing, boating, golfing etc....look for this type of home if you are looking under 150k.....

Old 08-30-2009, 10:28 PM

8,047 posts, read 5,891,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Long View Post
Have the ideal location for you. After two years of looking we finally found exactly what we wanted.
It's Calabash, N.C.<> Dennis
I have been thru Calabash and the surrounding area recently. I agree that it is a lovely area, or will be once the bridge to the beach is done. A good place to check out. That whole stretch from just south of the border up the coast to the cape is nice. You will be reasonably close to metro Myrtle Beach and Wilmington, but sort of remote and near the beach.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:23 PM

7 posts, read 21,551 times
I agree that Calabash and Little River are areas that you might want to consider.

Old 12-07-2009, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 3,218 times
Hi Wave Jumper, We relocated to NC in 1990, custom built a brick ranch, 1870 square ft., 100X200' lot. We are in a quiet community central to shopping, doctor's, dentist, schools and 8 minute drive to the beach. Atlantic Beach is a barrior island and is 26 miles of beautiful beach -- it is accessed by 2 large bridges at either end. We retired from NJ and are now selling our home to move closer to our daughter in SC. The house is immaculate, move in ready --beautiful yard. Low taxes of $1,054. a year. We are looking for qualified buyers only. If you are interested please call us at 252-240-4165. We haven't put the home on the market yet -- but intend to in January 2010. This is a quiet community and we have loved living here. Our home was built in 1991. Hope to hear from you. Jean Brain, Morehead City, NC

Old 12-09-2009, 05:25 PM

214 posts, read 736,635 times
Quote:
Your taxes will be determined by which county/city you choose to live in.
New Hanover will be pricier and taxes can be located by going to www.nhcgov.com, for Brunswick County go to www.Brunsco.net.
yes the closer you live to the water, the more expensive it becomes, however, keep in mind this is a Buyers Market at the moment, and you should be able to find something that will work with your budget.
Quite honestly, the best idea would be to travel throughout each county, that is close to the water, to get a feel a feel for the area. Once you decide which county you like, then start focusing on other amenities that you are seeking, enlist the assistance of a Buyers Agent, and voila, you will find your dream destination.
I am afraid that because you know so little of the area a lot of the work in choosing what you are looking for, and where you will feel most at home will be up to you.
The single most important thing for you to do, is to first get your finances in order, speak with your Bank or a Mortgage Broker, and first determine what you can afford.
It will all fall into place. Many of us have also relocated ourselves, and it takes time and preparation, but in the end it is well worth all the effort.
Just think no more snow, and actually the winters are the best time to explore this area. Leave your winter coats behind, and come on down and enjoy the gorgeous scenery and balmy weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina