Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2009, 08:07 PM

6 posts, read 17,915 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am a newcomer to southeastern NC and need help finding a church. Ideally, it would be casual and contemporary with a large and active youth ministry for my teen son to get involved with.

I live in Brunswick County but would travel to the Wilmington area if I need to.

Thanks so much for any help!

**Ooops! Tried to edit my type out of the title...and couldn't! Oh, well.

Last edited by Mistymtnblue; 08-23-2009 at 08:13 PM.. Reason: tried to edit title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2009, 10:42 PM

60 posts, read 188,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistymtnblue View Post
Hi,

I am a newcomer to southeastern NC and need help finding a church. Ideally, it would be casual and contemporary with a large and active youth ministry for my teen son to get involved with.

I live in Brunswick County but would travel to the Wilmington area if I need to.

I lived in Brunswick/New Hanover county area for several years, and attended various churches.

Highest Praise fits the description - haven't been there in about 4 years, though. They have alot of good things going on - but there were some things that just didn't sit right with me about the church, too - not my cup of tea. I have heard several good things about "The Purple Church" - in downtown Shallotte. I've visited there two or three times. Didn't really have anything against it - just not what I wanted. Maybe because it did seem to be really youth-oriented there - alot of youth, and I was 40-ish, with no teens.

However, my recommendation would be The Vineyard in Wilmington. It is a very large and casual church, with contemporary praise and worship. They have various ministries within the church, including home cell groups. The cell groups help give it more of a "small church feel", I think. Also, they have a good stream of various respected evangelists and teachers coming through. I can't speak personally for the youth ministry, but if it is anything like the rest of the church, I would think it might be what you are looking for.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:23 AM

Default Help finding a church

Thanks!!

Old 08-24-2009, 06:14 AM

698 posts, read 3,265,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mistymtnblue View Post
Hi,

Port City Community Church in Wilmington

Old 08-24-2009, 11:44 AM

311 posts, read 915,436 times
Another vote for Port City Community.. we just moved to Wilmington and have been there 2 or 3 times so far and love it. Where is the Vineyard? that sounds good too

Old 08-24-2009, 12:12 PM

Has anyone been to Eastside, ("the purple church") in Shallotte? How about Highest Praise on Hwy 17 outside of Shallotte?

Old 08-24-2009, 05:24 PM

60 posts, read 188,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
Another vote for Port City Community.. we just moved to Wilmington and have been there 2 or 3 times so far and love it. Where is the Vineyard? that sounds good too
Apparently "The Vineyard Community Church" is now "Global River Church", affiliated with this ministry out of California:

Bethel Church in Redding, CA | Home

Bill Johnson is the pastor of Bethel Church. I have been in services when it was still the Vineyard, when Bill Johnson was there. The ministry is very good. I've always held him in high regards. When I get back to the Wilmington area, I will probably try to attend more often, since they are affiliated with Bill Johnson. Bill Johnson is also a regular contributor on this site:

The ElijahList - Prophetic Words and Prophecies

Global River Church's location:

GRC - Location (http://www.globalriverchurch.com/whoweare/location.htm - broken link)

Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM

1 posts, read 2,598 times
If you want a United Methodist Church, try Pine Valley UMC on Shipyard Blvd in Wilmington. My daughter is a member there and her 3 kids enjoy all of the youth activities. They have a contemporary service, "The Bridge" at 11 am on Sunday in the family life center. They also have several traditional services as well.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:57 AM

698 posts, read 3,265,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
The Vineyard which has changed to Global River since I visited there is in Monkey Junction. I was there when we first moved to Wilmington and was church hunting. I like Port City Community a whole lot better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina