U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 12:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,601 times

Advertisements

do you need to work??? who would know what is best for you but you. if you don't need to work I would go to none of the states you mentioned, I would move to Utah but that is only my opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 05:05 PM

431 posts, read 1,012,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dick quinn View Post
do you need to work??? who would know what is best for you but you. if you don't need to work I would go to none of the states you mentioned, I would move to Utah but that is only my opinion.
Why Utah?

Old 09-06-2009, 08:02 PM

3 posts, read 35,437 times
I live on Oak Island thats 40 min south east of Wilmington. I LOVE the lizards too. My kids love to watch them! We dont mind bugs like the person above mentioned we have pest control. The weather on the Island is different from the mainland. It could be pooring down rain on the bridge coming to the Island but I could be laying on the beach and it would be sunny and great! The ocean keeps us warmer in the winter cooler in the spring and summer. It depends on what you love. really
as for jobs everyone is having a hard time.. it depends on what your profession is. I hope this helps you.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:50 PM

214 posts, read 736,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krystalg View Post
My boyfriend and I are looking to relocate away from the cold New England weather in Massachusetts and are a little unsure of where to go. Here are the factors we would like to consider, any insight would help!

We have no children, so school areas are unimportant to us.
We would like to be within a half hour of the ocean, but not in a tourist driven location.
We want mild winters, not too cold and snowy/icy
I don't want excessively hot and humid summers
Beautiful scenery and things to do is a plus
Are there going to be bugs the size of my head?

Thank you all!
Best stay in MA, until you, yourselves figure out what is best for you.
Would hate to see you move down here and then decide you hated it, and then start putting the area down, not because it isn't wonderful, but because it didn't meet your expectations.Try the Islands, as in the US or British Islands, sounds more like what you are looking for.
I am truly tired of hearing all the whiners and discontent relocatees that don't like it here, we certainly don't need more.

Old 09-09-2009, 01:35 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,425,752 times
You can forget NC (and SC, moreso) if hot and humid summers bother you! Try Virginia or even Maryland, which I believe don't have much in the way of winter but also avoid our "steam bath" summers (which can last most of July and August in NC, probably longer in SC).

Old 09-12-2009, 10:39 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,141,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
If you're looking for any coastal location in the Carolinas or Virginia, you're going to have to deal with hot, humid summers. That's pretty much a given.

I'd suggest one of the smaller cities of Hampton Roads (Chesapeake, Newport News, Suffolk, Portsmouth, etc.) in VA, Wilmington in NC, and Mt. Pleasant or Goose Creek in metro Charleston, SC.
Those cities in Hampton Roads are without personality or character. The people there are rude and the traffic is typical of a dysfunctional crowded
urban area. Wilmington is my pick. It is sophisticated, friendly and I really enjoyed the downtown area with its safe walking environment. Charleston is also a classy place, although it is reserved for just blue blooded southerners.

Old 09-13-2009, 10:09 AM

228 posts, read 521,400 times
I recommend the following:

2009 Safest States

New Hampshire
Vermont
Maine
North Dakota
South Dakota
Montana
Wyoming
Iowa
Rhode Island
Connecticut

Old 09-17-2009, 07:14 PM

67 posts, read 84,330 times
Okay, I can tell you something about NC and SC, since I have spent many years in both. In SC, around the coast, it is beautiful and the people are so friendly. Charleston, SC is the most beautiful city I have ever seen. There is always something to do, wonderful nightlife, history and museums, music and theatre, basically whatever you want. You have several beaches, since there are several islands. Never ever snows, except maybe once in 10-12 yrs. But . . . . you do have humidity. The closer you are to the coast, it is better because of the breeze off the water. You have Folly Beach, which is West Ashley, then you have Mt. Pleasant, Wild Dunes, Sullivan's Island, Isle of Palms, all south of Charleston, which are all beautiful places and within minutes of sand and surf. Best seafood ever! Charleston does have a lot of tourism from May thru August, but I lived there for 28 yrs and tourists never bothered me. It's not bad. Summerville is about 20 miles west of Charleston and is a beautiful city with lots to offer, but not the tourist attraction. The avg temp from Jan - Mar is 47-60 and can be in the 70's on some days. Apr & May is in the 70's, then it is 80's & 90's til October. Oct - Dec is usually in low to mid 60's. Only need a light coat during the winter months. A lot of ppl wear shorts year round.

Then, in NC. I was born here and lived here before moving to Charleston, SC and then moved back here in Jan, 2001. I live in the mid eastern part, about 2 hrs west of the ocean. We do get snow, pretty much a little every winter. We usually get anywhere from 2" to 6". Once in a while we can get 10-13", but that is rare. The weather is not bad. Late Oct - Mar is cold, like from the 30's to the 50's. Starts to get better in April, mostly in the mid 60's to high 60's. May - Sept is 75-98, with July and Aug always being mid to high 90's, sometimes 100's and the humidity is awful. The spring and fall is just gorgeous, with fall being the most beautiful. If you want 4 seasons, then this is the state for you. In mid NC, you can get all 4 seasons, but mildly so, and you can really enjoy it. Unfortunately, the bugs are a pain in the butt! This year the knats were horrible! It is a state with beautiful beaches and beautiful mountains. The roads are kept in good condition. The taxes are HIGH and they have a tax for everything. Gas is high, utilities are high, insurance is high. I found living in SC to be quite a bit cheaper. People are very friendly and helpful. I live in a small town of about 10,000 and the crime is almost nil. It's nice to take a walk around my neighborhood at 10 PM and not worry about getting mugged or kidnapped!! I am centrally located, evenly distanced from 3 large cities, an hour away from Raleigh and 2 hrs from Morehead City and 2 1/2 hrs from Wilmington.

Research and email some realtors for relocation packages. You get some really good info that way also.

Good luck and I hope I have helped.

Cathy

Basically, it depends on your income, what your careers are, what you do for entertainment, etc.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:19 PM

Now, now, let's not show our bad side. I just told them how friendly we North Carolinians are! They are truly asking for some input about our state and you just gave them a reason not to move here!

Old 09-17-2009, 07:25 PM

In reply to RunningNorm, these are all still cold areas. Not solving much with moving to these states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina