U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:29 PM

68 posts, read 84,387 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Those cities in Hampton Roads are without personality or character. The people there are rude and the traffic is typical of a dysfunctional crowded
urban area. Wilmington is my pick. It is sophisticated, friendly and I really enjoyed the downtown area with its safe walking environment. Charleston is also a classy place, although it is reserved for just blue blooded southerners.

I lived in Charleston, SC for over 20 yrs and found it to be a city of many cultures. It has several high ranking colleges, and home to MUSC, which is one of the best teaching hospitals in the south, which is another reason the city is so multi-cultural.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 08:10 PM

263 posts, read 974,461 times
The OP has never come back.

This is another Looky-loo.

Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 PM

21 posts, read 34,131 times
If you are a New Englander thinking about moving to the South you really need to think about the culture shock that you will experience. Nothing will prepare you for the difference in culture: it may be harder to adjust to then the humidity. You are coming from a liberal state to the most regressive, conservative part of this country. Don't even think of going any further South than North Carolina. South Carolina is still living in the 1950s but with traffic. What you're looking for doesn't exist, do some homework and you might end up staying where you are. I know the winters are long and cold, but the summers in the south are just the same: long and hot and humid. Why not just take a vacation in a warm climate every winter?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 PM

7 posts, read 21,557 times
I'd go to Virginia Beach and Hampton Roads area. The jobs pay less than in the Richmond area but the housing is much more affordable and your have more job opportunities. (Plus in Richmond you'll find they are still trying to get over losing the the Civil War as far as Yankees are concerned.) Wilmington is nice, but the job market it terrible and the pay scale is at least 10% less than what the Charlotte area pays for the same job. SC isn't a state I would choose just based upon some of their government issues. I've lived in VA for 13 yrs; NC for 8 yrs & my sister's lived in SC for 6 yrs. For a young couple, VA Beach/Hampton Roads area would be my 1st choice.

Old 09-24-2009, 07:27 PM

11 posts, read 28,064 times
Thank you all for the feedback, I have learned a lot about these states! I am leaning a little more towards Maryland or Delaware at this point, with still maybe VA as a possibility. Thanks again!

Old 09-25-2009, 12:39 PM

9 posts, read 47,158 times
Having lived all over the U.S., I can safely say that if you are looking for a mild bug free existence with a lot of outdoor activities, jobs, a fantastic culinary scene??, well travelled people, museums, large body of water but without the humidity - try the Pacific Northwest. There you can drive to snow, but you don't have to live in it.

If you give the more humid South a try just remember that it takes a while to acclimate. You'll get better at it every year and you'll learn to go out early in the morning to enjoy the cooler temps. Compared to spending most of the winter indoors in Mass., in the South we spend our more humid days inside, in a pool or at the beach.

For the bugs - use an all purpose home bug killer once a month for pests during the warmer months.

Since you are young stick to college towns and cities. Take a road trip with stops in Charlottesville, VA, Raleigh/Durham, NC, Ashville, NC, Wilmington, NC, Charleston, SC.

Good luck and remember to think of life as an adventure.

Old 09-27-2009, 07:25 PM

6,973 posts, read 12,494,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jctripp View Post
If you are a New Englander thinking about moving to the South you really need to think about the culture shock that you will experience. Nothing will prepare you for the difference in culture: it may be harder to adjust to then the humidity. You are coming from a liberal state to the most regressive, conservative part of this country. Don't even think of going any further South than North Carolina. South Carolina is still living in the 1950s but with traffic. What you're looking for doesn't exist, do some homework and you might end up staying where you are. I know the winters are long and cold, but the summers in the south are just the same: long and hot and humid. Why not just take a vacation in a warm climate every winter?
I think its a shame but very understandable, that people feel they can't move from one region to another and that be it. Its one thing for there to be differences from one area to another, but it should end there. Why are these cultures so strong and dominant to begin with? So strong it can prohibit someone from living in a different climate or a better job area. Are we all in the USA or not. At times I wonder why the United States calls itself the United States.

Old 09-28-2009, 09:33 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,431,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think its a shame but very understandable, that people feel they can't move from one region to another and that be it. Its one thing for there to be differences from one area to another, but it should end there. Why are these cultures so strong and dominant to begin with? So strong it can prohibit someone from living in a different climate or a better job area. Are we all in the USA or not. At times I wonder why the United States calls itself the United States.
Do you think the situation is any different from a Southerner moving to New York or New England? The stereotypes in places like that of Southerners are enormously outdated and offensive (a la "Granny Clampett", for the most part). Southerners are one demographic group it is still A-OK to make fun of (try to think of a TV show or movie where anyone with a Southern accent isn't a "rube", a "hick", a "bible-thumper" or all of the above, other than Designing Women (and that was 20 years ago, produced by Southerners)?). Sorry, but at least part of the animosity from Southerners towards Northerners is the patronizing attitude they (Southerners) have experienced both in the media and when visiting outside the region, or Northern transplants who move here and immediately cop an attitude about how "funny" people talk here or how this region doesn't have A, B, or C that they had back home (which begs the question, WHY did you move if you hate it so much or feel yourself so "above" the people here??).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina