U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2009, 01:01 AM

452 posts, read 2,127,146 times

Advertisements

Are there any laws in this county regarding keeping livestock on residential lots?

Our nextdoor neighbor started collecting livestock AFTER we built our house and moved in, and have god only knows how many chickens, ducks, and roosters- they put the pen on our adjoining property line- their other property line has NO neighbors. They are doing this on purpose to be aggravating, because they also harbor several litters of stray cats every spring and summer and the cat population keeps growing, and I called animal control. (They feed all these cats but don't take any of them to the vets for vaccinations, not even rabies, and they don't spay either). You can imagine- cats spraying, fighting, reproducing...

They also built a chicken coop and at one time had about 5 or 6 roosters cooped up together. This is ALL on our property line, along with their 2 dogs, 2 goats, and like I said, I don't know HOW many chickens and ducks they have now.

Surely there must be some ordinance about this. I kindly let it be known that if they just moved this crap to the empty side of their property, the property line with no neighbor...it would probably stop being such a nuisance. Instead, they add MORE.

These people also leave a radio playing all night long "for security purposes" in their outbuilding. I don't know if it meets the noise ordinance level, but you cam hear its him in my house and most definitely in our yard all night long.

Don't you just LOVE rude neighbors? I can't find ANY info on a livestock ordinance on residential land. FWIW the lots are 2 acres and not in a neighborhood. I don't care though, when you have that many chickens, not to mention the noise, it SMELLS......feral cats spray, coyotes try to get the chickens to are attracted to MY property...other wildlife (opossums, raccoons, god knows what else) mill around due to the chickens and the food outside...animal control is helping with the cats, I didn't ask about the livestock- guess I will.

Frankly what makes me mad is thee neighbors are in a snit over some other things, and got all this stuff AFTER we moved in. We ourselves don't have anything of the sort but have to go through this extra expense of fencing our yard in in attempts of keeping out some of the wildlife this attracts, but the noise annoys me---I made it crystal clear when they had 5 or 6 roosters and they were outcrowing each other NONSTOP, all day-that if they didn't choose to do something themselves, I was. They ended up gettinf rid of the roosters and the person they gave them to had animal control take them away.

Rude neighbors suck. It almost makes me LIKE HOA's.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 01:03 AM

452 posts, read 2,127,146 times
Meant to add, I am concerned for our property value, so I need to know what recourse I have- because I DON'T plan to live next to these stupid people for the rest of my life. But who wants to buy a house with all this JUNK on the property line?

Old 08-26-2009, 10:55 AM

28 posts, read 51,694 times
Default Contact the Brunswick County Planning Department

When it comes to interpreting zoning ordinances, the best place to get your answer is the Brunswick County Planning Department. Give them your exact address to find out if it's zoned for livestock (goats, chickens). As far as the ferrel cats, I doubt that issue is covered by zoning laws.

Rezoning - Brunswick County

Here is the link to search Brunswick County's zoning laws if you want to give it a shot:

http://www.municode.com/resources/ga...d=19946&sid=33
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina