Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 12:23 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,420,856 times

Advertisements

I am sorry that this happened, it could have easily been avoided, but unfortunately it happens all the time. People do not realise how powerful the ocean actually is. Never ever go in the water when there are threats of undertows. hard lesson to learn by some people. It always takes a drowning for people to realise this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 03:11 PM

1 posts, read 4,083 times
My heart goes out to the family. We were vacationing in Nags Head when we heard about this tragedy that Friday afternoon.

Chance and the family were on my mind the remainder of our week there. May God be with them during this terrible time.

Old 09-09-2009, 09:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,965 times
My deepest sympathy goes the Cosgrove Family.
We were vacationing in Rodanthe NC, further south from Corrola that week.I am a mother of three children and could not sleep Friday night as my heart was just breaking for this family.
My heart was and is with this family at this very sad time.
K Phillips
Chester Virginia

Old 09-18-2009, 04:42 PM

1 posts, read 3,870 times
We think a man drowned today in Rodanthe NC I don't know if he lives or not I was there on the beach Praying for the man along with his family, if anyone knows anything let me know

Old 10-08-2009, 09:50 AM

1 posts, read 3,671 times
My Uncle is the man who drowned on the beach in Rodanthe NC on September 18th, 2009...thank you for your prayers and concern. We were on our first annual "Family Reunion" when this happened. It was our first time in the area, we had NO idea about the dangers of the undertow and Rip currents. We wish there would have been a sign or something warning us. We are now working with the safety officials in NC getting signage on the beaches and info in the vacation homes. Thanks to everyone for their concern.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 PM

1 posts, read 2,952 times
We were at the beach the day this child was carried out to sea and have thought about him and his family many times over this past year. It's admirable that the father's friend offered a reward and attempted to gather resources for his grieving friend. But the whole story is not provided by his post. Tropical storm warnings (for Tropical Storm Danny) were in effect for this area beginning the day before the drowning and were not lifted until the storm dissipated the day after the drowning. The Tropical Storm warning in effect at the time was for "dangerous surf conditions and life threatening rip currents". The search was called off that Friday evening as the Tropical Storm approached, because it was not safe to continue the search in the midst of a Tropical Storm.

In a region of the country known for dangerous rip tides under the best of circumstances, heeding Tropical Storm warnings is literally a life and death proposition. I can only hope that others learn from this terribly unfortunate lapse of judgement...

Old 09-01-2010, 11:01 PM

42 posts, read 241,147 times
I'm very sorry to hear about this terrible tragedy. My thoughts and prayers are with the family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina