U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 06:18 PM

96 posts, read 356,028 times

Advertisements

My husband and i have been looking for a home in wilmington with a half acre with trees for under 300k that is new or nearly new.
The only house we found so far was in leland and was not in a subdivision. (and i really wanted a place with a pool)
we found online that a builder is building 12 homes in burgraw on wooded lots. My husband and i are retiring, were 55 & 60 and we have a 19 yo who will stay in ny for school but will eventually be moving with us when he graduates with an enviromental science degree. Does this area have anything to offer? My husband loves fishing and wants to get a boat. I s the ride to wilmington more than a half hour? Are there stores, a library,ect. In burgraw?
Whats the town like? We plan on coming down within the next month to look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 06:24 PM

1,957 posts, read 2,632,373 times
I would highly recommend that you look elsewhere along the coast.
Have only visited Burgaww a few times so keep that in mind, however it is very small and very country. if that is what you guys are looking for then by all means.

i know you can find houses on half acre in wilmington ,out along college road/monkey junction area.
perhaps even further south towards carolina beach.
have you looked in pine valley?

Old 08-31-2009, 10:42 PM

160 posts, read 699,339 times
You will have better luck if you go north of Wilmington (Hampstead) or south (Leland, Winnabow, ect.) Burgaw is less than 30 minutes from Wilmington via Interstate 40 and it's an easy commute but Burgaw has little to offer in the way of shopping, entertainment, ect and it's very "country". The benefit of Burgaw is cheap housing. You can find a nice house on way more than a 1/2 acre for less than $300,000.

Old 09-01-2009, 08:42 AM

1,810 posts, read 3,280,709 times
Burgaw is a pretty small town. At least it has the character of a small town with an attractive town center, unlike Hampstead which is just unplanned sprawl along Hwy. 17. Hampstead also has no public access to the Intracoastal Waterway. There has been talk of a public boat ramp but so far nothing has happened. There's a marina in the Sloop Point area that charges $20 to launch a boat. The nearest public boat ramp is at Soundside Park in Surf City.

There are a couple of spots on the NE Cape Fear River in the Burgaw area where a boat can be launched. Also, Burgaw does have a public library and Hampstead does, too.

I'd take look at Burgaw if you aren't interested in being near the beach.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:06 AM

96 posts, read 356,028 times
MY 19 YEAR OLD SON IS NOT HAPPY ABOUT THE MOVE ALREADY SO MAYBE LIVING IN THE COUNTRY IS NOT THAT GOOD OF AN IDEA. HOW IS LELAND? I READ ON SOME SITE THAT THE HOMES ARE Having foundation issues, Is that true?

Old 09-01-2009, 12:07 PM

160 posts, read 699,339 times
Two words on the possibility of foundation issues: home inspection

Old 09-01-2009, 05:34 PM

36 posts, read 127,173 times
Well Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgaw is not bad at all...Are you planning on living in a single wide?..If you are then you are out of luck..The town of Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgaw only allow double wides...The town is trying to keep the Rif-raf out....The income in Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgaw is good...$20,000 a year...My neighbor has been doing construction work for 30 years and he makes good money..$30,000 a year...He lives in a triple wide..Also..Jerry Springer will be opening his state of the art 2 million dollar studio in Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgaw....So things are looking up for the town of Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrgaw!!!!!!!

Old 09-01-2009, 05:39 PM

36 posts, read 127,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlpn View Post
MY 19 YEAR OLD SON IS NOT HAPPY ABOUT THE MOVE ALREADY SO MAYBE LIVING IN THE COUNTRY IS NOT THAT GOOD OF AN IDEA. HOW IS LELAND? I READ ON SOME SITE THAT THE HOMES ARE Having foundation issues, Is that true?
....Leland is good..The town of Leland allows single wides...Anything above 1993..Also..The income is better...$25,000 per year...

Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 PM

263 posts, read 973,702 times
Quote:
MY 19 YEAR OLD SON IS NOT HAPPY ABOUT THE MOVE ALREADY SO MAYBE LIVING IN THE COUNTRY IS NOT THAT GOOD OF AN IDEA.
I would figure that my 19 year old on the verge of going off to college would probably move off somewhere on his own after college. So I would be choosing my retirement homestead for me, myself and I and my husband. The four of us more than out-vote the 19 year old. And we will be paying for it.

Old 09-02-2009, 07:10 PM

214 posts, read 736,516 times
Quote:
My husband and i have been looking for a home in wilmington with a half acre with trees for under 300k that is new or nearly new.
The only house we found so far was in leland and was not in a subdivision. (and i really wanted a place with a pool)
we found online that a builder is building 12 homes in burgraw on wooded lots. My husband and i are retiring, were 55 & 60 and we have a 19 yo who will stay in ny for school but will eventually be moving with us when he graduates with an enviromental science degree. Does this area have anything to offer? My husband loves fishing and wants to get a boat. I s the ride to wilmington more than a half hour? Are there stores, a library,ect. In burgraw?
Whats the town like? We plan on coming down within the next month to look around.
I think it would help everyone greatly if you could tell us where " burgraw", is located, not familiar with that town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina