U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2011, 11:35 AM

6 posts, read 11,643 times

Advertisements

Does anyone Know if there are Degraffenrieds in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2011, 11:47 AM

68 posts, read 122,168 times
New Bern is one of the better areas of Eastern Carolina

Old 01-27-2011, 03:29 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,760,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavi20 View Post
Does anyone Know if there are Degraffenrieds in the area?
Search the Sun Journal. There was some issue with the 300th anniversary (Thank Jesus that is over) where one branch of the family was slighted or something. I did not read closely, not sure of the name, but it seems that someone felt dissed in regard to Degraffenried heritage. Sorry I do not remember more.

Good Luck

lln

Old 11-05-2011, 09:57 PM

96 posts, read 381,303 times
Default Safest States ??

No, they're the safest because they don't take any crap from these popcorn thugs. I'll bet it's pretty chilly in N.C. right about now, huh?

Old 12-10-2011, 06:49 PM

575 posts, read 519,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsdiesel View Post
LLN,
Did 'ya ever offer the bum a ham sandwich? I know, I know, could end up like a stray cat you feed once and they never leave... But, in my experience, offer them a sandwich, preach a little.... he won't be back.

Well, I am making the plunge into New Bern. I got the job transfer and am now looking for a house suitable for a growing family. Since I will be coming down ahead of them.... I may look up the bum and share a tall boy with him. I am sure he can tell me all about which area is good or bad.

Dad
That approach always works! Preach, hand them a Bible and bug them to visit your church...soon enough they find another place to relax.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:58 PM

47 posts, read 114,599 times
Question New Bern living?

Hey I am also researching New Bern- I see these posts are from 2011, how have things changed?? the info on the town looks great and the video makes it seem like a paradise, but i know its not showing the real day to day nitty gritty. The video for one thing shows predominantly white people when the statistics show its a pretty good mix- which is good for a biracial family.. But my bf is originally from NYC and he does NOT want to be reminded of it when we relocate. We are in MA right now..
The crime statistics are showing the crime rates in New Bern are twice the national average. Now while Ive lived in the Cape for several years, I know theres plenty of crime down there as well- I just dont want to have to look over my shoulder once the sun goes down.. Or worry about break ins.. I like the places where u dont have to lock ur doors. But I know it may be a stretch. Am I missing a nice place by the ocean that anyone can suggest? With a good high school?
Ive seen the posts with some suggestions but I want to ask again to be sure..

Last edited by Kar26; 01-15-2015 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: Adding to the post

Old 01-15-2015, 05:09 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,760,854 times
The VAST majority of crime is restricted to several areas. I doubt you would go there. The first few years we were here, we had 9 murders within 1000 yards or our home, but all were across main road, rr tracks, etc. Small town has good areas and bad areas near each other.

I would be much more worried about the inept police force, the farcical government and the beyond terrible roads. Both gas (automobile) and electricity are very high priced, too.

On reflection crime is way behind the other issues mentioned in things I worry about.

Good Luck

Old 06-14-2015, 10:24 AM

76 posts, read 75,855 times
D. and I just returned from a week of investigating New Bern and area. We drove through the good, bad and ..etc. and we were neither shocked or frightened by the economic disparity that seems evident as in most American cities. The projects north of Queen Street are in need of rehab. Just providing low-cost housing without some form of monitoring and ongoing reevaluation is a recipe for creating a problem (desperation, drugs and high crime) in many Cities, not just New Bern. All-In-all, New Bern folks seem to all get alone fine.We found other areas of the city very charming. We looked at a few possible rentals and were impressed by the quality and value of some older properties. The Country Biscuit was our favorite breakfast spot. Everyone chats with everyone from table to table. It was fun and the food is great. Persimmons had good food at higher prices but one is paying for the ambiance (view). MJ's Raw Bar had great soft shell crabs. Gary's Downeast deserves its acclaim for beast lump crab. Sting Ray's fresh fish is a bargain. We loved the Farmer's market. I wish we could have stayed longer but we ran out of time and
money. High crime? It wasn't evident to us during such a short stay. It certainly is safer than many areas of Long Island New York. In today's world good judgement and common sense are the best way to avoid becoming a victim.

Old 06-14-2015, 10:30 AM

4,964 posts, read 2,210,200 times
No
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina