U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:33 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsdiesel View Post
Well,

In my few brief trips to New Bern house hunting..... y'all don't know what crime is!!

Yes, I am from the north, yes from a rather large North East city.

I find it almost comical in what you think crime is. Our motto here is, "if you want to find crime or criminals, you will."
Worse than crime are YANKEES. This is the kind of post that riles us up, be it the Charlotte, Raleigh, or Coastal forum.

Do us all a favor and stay up north. We don't care about how it is back home, we don't care that we don't understand, we don't care about how much more worldly you are than we, and finally, we certainly don't care about you joining us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2009, 08:39 AM

8 posts, read 29,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
Worse than crime are YANKEES. This is the kind of post that riles us up, be it the Charlotte, Raleigh, or Coastal forum.

Do us all a favor and stay up north. We don't care about how it is back home, we don't care that we don't understand, we don't care about how much more worldly you are than we, and finally, we certainly don't care about you joining us.

LOL, LLN, Tell us how you really feel!!

Old 10-09-2009, 10:44 AM

693 posts, read 1,407,355 times
LOL LLN.

I remember growing up in W-S (which of course has a lot more crime and such than New Bern!), some family friends came down from the Chicago area. They laughed at our local evening news because it was so "tame" compared to the one they were used to. I remember thinking (something to this effect) "what dumb arses! Surely it's a good thing and not a laughable thing to have less murder and robbery and corruption!"

Anyway, kind of funny (and bizarre) if someone takes "pride" in their high level of crime.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:37 PM

9 posts, read 47,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
LOL LLN.

I remember growing up in W-S (which of course has a lot more crime and such than New Bern!), some family friends came down from the Chicago area. They laughed at our local evening news because it was so "tame" compared to the one they were used to. I remember thinking (something to this effect) "what dumb arses! Surely it's a good thing and not a laughable thing to have less murder and robbery and corruption!"

Anyway, kind of funny (and bizarre) if someone takes "pride" in their high level of crime.
I don't mean to contradict you, but I don't think that "pride" is what people have for their high crime rate.

When you have lived in an urban area you become desensitized after watching the top 10 murders, etc. on the news every night.

Psychologically people in a more stressful environment develop a mental resistance to frightening events that they have no control over. Sometimes this can come off as a lot of attitude, but it can be a defense mechanism or survival skill that they use to deal with the things that they have seen or experienced in their lives.

To a lot of people in more urban areas New Bern looks like an easy stress free place to live. Let's not ruin that by openly attacking those who seek a better more stress free life even if they struggle with leaving the "high energy intensity" of an urban environment.

The kind of move we are talking about here is a lifestyle change. Every human has the right to adapt to his/her environment. Although it may not be easy, let's all have a little human understanding and show some hospitality.

Old 10-09-2009, 12:52 PM

693 posts, read 1,407,355 times
Point taken.

*edit*

I have lived in urban areas, and high crime areas - far worse than someone from the Bronx or Camden has ever experienced. However, I don't think you need to put forward support for someone who mocks people who have a concern about New Bern crime. I personally don't think New Bern has a crime issue, but according to this forum some do. Perhaps "pride" was the wrong choice of words. And, I'm not the one who stated something akin to "Yankee go home".

Why are you so sensitive?

Last edited by melbern; 10-09-2009 at 02:21 PM..

Old 10-10-2009, 07:55 AM

47 posts, read 129,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

Well gosh LLN,

First, I hate Yankees too! I am a Red Sox fan!!

Second, my post did have it's desired effect to a point. I would have been disappointed if I didn't get such a visceral response from you.

Lastly, I was attempting to show some perspective, for that, I didn't word it well, and I am sorry.

Crime is crime. Ask anyone who has been a victim of a crime. It does not matter if it happens in a city or in the country.

Desensitization to crime isn't the point. Actually, those of us who may live in a "higher" crime area become MORE sensitized to detect it.

Chance of having a crime committed against you is the point. The last time I was in New Bern, I went to the Piggly Wiggly near the Dunkin Donuts around 9pm on a Saturday and I had my senses on "high alert". Why? because of the way the neighborhood appeared at night, the characters in the parking lot and, perhaps my own sense of fear of an unknown area. My visit there went well, I had my daughter with me and I did stare down a couple characters in the parking lot. But, I was not trying to minimize the threat of crime, just that the chances of having a crime committed against you in New Bern is less than in Raleigh, Charlotte, Atlanta etc.

Now before I hear from those folks, I am sure there are many neighborhoods in the fore mentioned cities that are safer than New Bern, that is my point. If you want to find crime, you will.

Dad

Old 10-10-2009, 08:13 AM

19,504 posts, read 17,748,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsdiesel View Post
Well,

In my few brief trips to New Bern house hunting..... y'all don't know what crime is!!

Yes, I am from the north, yes from a rather large North East city.

I find it almost comical in what you think crime is. Our motto here is, "if you want to find crime or criminals, you will."

One can spot the "hot beds of crime" in a flash if you open your eyes to it. Trailer parks, projects, otherwise run down neighborhoods, the hooker on the corner.... they can all lend themselves to a higher level of petty crime. Yes it sucks to be you, if you happen to stroll into a mini-mart late at night and get hit on the head for your wallet. I would suspect it could happen in any neighborhood.

I think the home security alarm companies have done a good job in New Bern selling the fear. Every home I look at either has an alarm system active, or, is wired for one.

Folks, I live less than 1000 yards from a project here in the north where I know it is a "hot bed of crime" (makes me giggle to say that). The deal is, and I am not sure why, but the streets seem to be boundrys that keep the "natives" from coming to the other side. New Bern appears no different than that to me.
Well said and so true.

Old 10-18-2009, 06:09 PM

13 posts, read 55,007 times
New Bern is still a popular area to move to. We have been here for three years and own a small business in town. We have never had any problems with crime. There are some areas that have crime but you will have that in all parts of the world. New Bern is a very friendly area, and most people here are transplants.

Old 12-22-2009, 09:59 AM

47 posts, read 129,671 times
Well,

What I have found, is that the folks in New Bern think way too much of themselves!

The next person that comes up to me and says, "Welcome to historic New Bern." is going to get a quick laugh from me and a, "You must be kidding!" response.

"Stuck" is what I would call the folks from New Bern. Stuck in a fantasy about what the town is, and what it isn't. "Quaint" - it ain't. Run down, mis-managed for the last 20 years and stuck, is what it is.

Thank gawd the residents finally ousted the long standing mayor. I hope this new one isn't just another "good-'ol-boy" looking to line the pockets of his friends.

One can only hope that the new mayor and aldermen will produce a progressive agenda that compliments the heritage of the "old town" and embraces the 21st century. There are many mistakes that have to be "lived with" like the Rt. 70-17 bridge.... Who's idea was that one to put it right there spoiling the view of the downtown area? It limits the size of boating traffic and otherwise makes an eyesore in the skyline. Next is the ill-gotten drawbridge. Still not finished. C'mon folks, "Historic"???? "Quaint"??? Nawwww.... It is just another old broken down southern town run by the local-yokels too afraid of progress. The town looks like it is stuck in 1955 which is I guess when the local gooberment graduated from High School.

Old 12-23-2009, 10:55 AM

79 posts, read 83,593 times
"Thank gawd the residents finally ousted the long standing mayor. I hope this new one isn't just another "good-'ol-boy" looking to line the pockets of his friends."

You just decribed every politician in the country !!!......The bigger the politician , the bigger the special interest group !!.....Jim
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina