U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 12:54 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,752,356 times

Advertisements

Look, New Bern is fine. Lots of families, lots of retirees. Teens don't like it, but they pretty much don't like anywhere. Once they get wheels and can go to beach, 45 minutes, or Greenville, 45 minutes or heaven forbid, Jacksonville, 45 minutes (I have daughters), it gets better even for them. There is a lot of crime for a town this big, but that reflects the have - have not status that permeates the south. We don't have, within most city limits, exclusive areas, the town is just too small.

Ok, Trailhker, I did not even mention rape in my three week map pin exercise, but here is one, only four days into the three weeks, and another kidnapping. That would be two, already.

Still waiting on the murder and stabbing, but we won't wait long. Oh, it appears in the afternoon, 21st century edition, so I am making a call and calling it Tuesday's.

Police looking for rape, kidnapping suspect | class, bodycopyrag, police - Local - Sun Journal (http://www.newbernsj.com/news/class-81702-bodycopyrag-police.html - broken link)

The perp here is "G-Sin" by the way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 02:27 PM

3,071 posts, read 7,824,138 times
You speak of New Bern crime, but what is is compared to Greenville, Goldsboro, Rocky Mount, Wilson, Jacksonville, Fayetteville, or any comparably sized town in eastern NC? I'd venture, with the exception of MHC and Havelock. New Bern has one of the lower crime rates. And yes, i did note that you said the things there are typical of many southern towns. That in itself makes the crime less extraordinary. By rights I shouldn't even be defending New Bern (them being arch rivals, as I'm originally from Havelock), but I feel it's unnecessary to constantly come back to this thread and post every crime that happens. Thats what the sun jouranl is for. That is waht police it blotter it published is for. I just feel like your point has been made. You actually make alot of good posts on this board, but this endless harping only serves to detract from them. The above is a perfect example. You gave a great response to lovethelhasa, but degraded your post with the back and forth with trailhker.

================================================== ============

lovethelhasa. the community can be loosely broken down into four categories that all get along fairly well. Locals, retirees, military, and transplants. The area doesn't haarbor the same animosity towards transplants that you often see on the Triangle and Wilmington boards because "transplants" have been moving to the area alot longer due to the military. Unlike the triangle, and even jacksonville and greenville. The people who move to this area tend to integrate and become part of the community, not take over the community. That goes from New Bern all the way out to the crystal coast, to as close to Jacksonville as Swansboro.

As far as schools? What age level? The schools are great to mediocre in the area. I don't think there are any truly bad ones. Which (with no disrespect to my current location) can't be said for alot of other places in eastern NC.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:14 PM
LLN

macjr:

Thanks for your thoughts. Trilhiker and I are looking into plotting crime as a means to show a newbie where not live. In no way is it highlighting crime, just allowing one to see where the "bad areas" are located.

I live in New Bern, and it it illustrative to demonstrate that crime within 1,000 yards is not the end of the world. Even 600 yards is pretty routine in the historic district, but still people go about their business and lead pleasant, not threatened, lives.

You certainly are in your rights to have an opinion about the validity of this exercise, but you know what they say about opinions. But please understand the context. Yep, it is the context that seems to allude you. Lock those doors tonite!

lln

Old 04-02-2010, 09:00 AM

10 posts, read 36,065 times
Default New Bern has many families

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovethelhasa View Post
thanks, are there couples with children? I mean is it all retirement or are the schools just mediocre
New Bern has many families.

The New Bern side of the river.......

The family neighborhoods are Trent Woods

Tight knit community with holiday parades, volunteer firehouse with pick up football games in the field next door, very active volunteer base in the community, great elementary school, great family park with birthday parties, tons of walkers, joggers, very active parent involvement in scouts, sports and New Bern Country Club. Nicholas Sparks, Governor Purdue, many doctors, lawyers, realtors, accountants, teachers, telecommuters and stay at home moms in this community. This is the only family neighborhood in New Bern that kids can walk or ride bikes to the elementary school.

Trent Woods offers the easiest access to decent retail - Target, Walmart, new TJ Maxx, Mall, Staples, many restaurants, Starbucks, doctors galore, hospital and easy access to downtown. Great if you are a telecommuter (need paper and printer cartridges), great if you are a mom (need poster board and soccer gear). Great if you are a doc/nurse/dentist and want to come home for lunch!

River Bend is similar with a country club, community activities, parades, but the elementary school is outside of the community - not walkable.

The James City side of the river (1 grocery store,fewer choices for restaurants/retail, main sports park for New Bern is here - soccer/softball)

Taberna has its own country club in the community with many family oriented activities. The elementary school is not walkable.

Bryce's creek includes many subdivisions and more forested areas if you are looking for more seclusion. There are many families on this side of town - not sure how community based this area is (maybe someone can enlighten?). The airport is in this area. The school is not walkable.

Please someone help with the James City side, obviously I live in Trent Woods.

Old 05-04-2010, 10:11 PM

1 posts, read 3,340 times
Hello,
Wanted to say I have really enjoyed reading everyone's post, especially the heated discussions.
The mulltiple points of view give a good picture of New Bern. Crime or not seems like there are some interesting people there. I do have a question. I may be moving from Texas to Chicago. I wanted to get a place out in New Bern to keep me sane when I needed a break from the cold weather and cold life of Chicago. In my mind I saw myself getting an affordable place close to the river so I could engage in water activities and relaxation. New Bern seemed like a good match. I have a teeny, tiny budget and have found houses that were a good fit, but wondered about the neighborhoods between Watson/National Ave and the U.S. National Cemetery. I am a woman who will mostly travel by myself with a extra large dog I intend to adopt. Curious if this is a neighborhood I should be concerned about. Also is this walking distance to activities and water related activities. I am fairly new to the search so I appreciate the advice.

Old 05-05-2010, 05:04 PM
LLN

Riverside is the area between National Ave and the river, from the railroad tracks to the National Cemetary, more or less. I think the Riverside neighborhood is ok. A couple of more years before the real estate bust, and it would have been superb. I would not live on the other side of national, unless right on National, but those sheds are not cheap.

Right now, on B Street, between National and the River, there are two small houses that are being fixed up, One is on the market, the other will be shortly. They are less than $200K I hear. Both have minimal yard, but look like they have been fixed up real nice.

Good luck.

lln

Old 06-27-2010, 08:02 AM

27 posts, read 51,075 times
I know this thread has some age, but this is probably the best one to read regarding New Bern. I live in Baltimore, & it's somewhat the same...excepy here crime does seem to spread out from the *bad* areas more frequently. NB has always been one of my picks of places to move to...a mjority of the people seem to like it, & just like everywhere else...it has crime in *bad* places. I'm hoping to move from Baltimore within 1-2 years, so many thansk to the posters here for giving me some insight about NB.

Old 06-27-2010, 04:16 PM

451 posts, read 1,688,473 times
I'm a fan of New Bern...nice downtown area with a nice waterfront. Wish there were more jobs down that way...I would consider it for a place to live otherwise.

I recently drove through the downtown area and was impressed with all of the businesses...glad to see the new bridge over the Trent River...it'll make access easier to downtown.

Old 10-03-2010, 06:22 AM

13 posts, read 21,218 times
We are moving to New Bern in November. I have read the posts here and a couple have mentioned the "crime areas." Which areas would you avoid? I am looking at a house on Bern Street near the cemetery, and the couple of times I have been there the neighborhood seemed decent.

Old 10-03-2010, 09:05 AM
LLN

That street seems ok. Bern Street is historically significant in that, as I recall, it was the first paved street and I think, with plumbing, in New Bern's "historically Black area." I know I read that or something like that, somewhere.

Now you will be within 1,000 yards of right much crime...but I am that close as well and have had no problems at all. I plot most of the crime that I read about in the paper and New Bern's peak crime zones are concentrated in several areas.

I recommend you look at the Sun Journal, either with a subscription or on line, to see what is happening near where you are looking.

You need to understand in small southern towns (where I have experience, may be the same anywhere) there are going to be not so nice areas very close to nice areas. It is all about your immediate neighbors. Good Luck.

lln
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina