U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2009, 06:08 AM

844 posts, read 2,676,477 times

Advertisements

I just saw a post by LLN under a thread "What is the best place to live in NC near a beach without hurricane destruction?" dated " 09-02-2009, 08:37 PM" in which he indicates "crime is out of control" and electricty and water rates are astonomical due to poor planning?

While LLN notes the crime is restricted to a small area, the concern is that the crime may spread if left unchecked?

We've been considering the New Bern area for retirement for awhile now, but a post like that has me doing additional research.

Would greatly appreciate if others would chime in on this topic.

Thank you,....marc
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:21 AM

3,071 posts, read 7,818,592 times
If you notice most of the negative posts about New Bern are from LLN. Not to dismiss her opinions, they are certainly valid and not at all baseless, but it's a minority opinion. I can point to other threads where people weren't even asking about New Bern (typically somewhere in carteret county) and residents will post suggesting and gushing over New Bern. LLn is simply the most vocal about the area.

A far as crime spreading if left unchecked. The "crime" has been present in, but restricted in, that same area for at least the close to 30 years I've been familiar w/ the area.

The electricity and water rates are due to city footing the bill for infrastructure in Carolina Colours, whose development has taken a hit due to the economy. Thus there aren't very many (any) residents there thus the cost is being spread out to the NB residents.

Still, personally, i would not want to live in the city limits of New Bern, just b/c there are so many excellent areas outside the city, like Brice's Creek, Riverdale, River Bend, Carolina Pines, and Stately Pines. My wife has some family land in Pollocksville that I hope to build a house on, if I retire to the area.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:32 AM

21 posts, read 77,727 times
I agree w/ macjr82 completely. Although I don't live there now, I have twice before as recently as 4 yrs ago. If I could go back, I would do so in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I'm stuck at "Lake Waccamaw" right now.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 AM

Another note on the crime. Crime in NB is chiefly criminal on criminal. Meaning, if you don't associate with criminals, you won't be a victim of crime. The "bicyclists" incident happened in the crime affected area. These are people on bikes b/c they don't have cars, not bicyclists. Bicyclists' argument results in shooting | bodycopyrag, class, police - Local - Sun Journal (http://www.newbernsj.com/news/bodycopyrag-47631-class-police.html - broken link)

Also, you cod a search for "craven county arrests and citations" to view the police blotter on sun journal's website.
Craven County arrests and citations | arrests, citations, county - Local - Sun Journal (http://www.newbernsj.com/news/arrests-47674-citations-county.html - broken link)
Craven County arrests and citations | arrests, citations, county - Local - Sun Journal (http://www.newbernsj.com/news/arrests-47722-citations-county.html - broken link)

Old 09-07-2009, 08:55 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,355,449 times
What was it that President Reagan use to say? "Trust, but Verify"

Bill

Old 09-07-2009, 09:08 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,744,235 times
To say that most of my posts about New Bern are negative is ridiculous. Do a search and some analysis.

Bill's comment about "trust by verify" is true. Verify EVERYTHING that I have said via the Sun Journal or other document.

Please note, no one has said what I posted is not true, just aspersions.

Hey, I wish New Bern was perfect. After living here several years it is now obvious that it is not what it seems.

Sure, realtors want you to believe all the "good stuff", but they also want to sell you a house and take your money, too.

Again, as I said in my post that is referenced, just read the paper, that is what I do. And I defy anyone to prove me wrong. Yeah, that would be the verify bit.

I still live here, but am liking it less daily.

Oh, did I mention the bum that has a tall boy, EVERY DAY, in the park across the street? Leaves it, in a brown paper bag, and a healthy dose of urine, daily. He only stops when my truck is gone. The PO-PO have been notified, but can't seem to stop that, either.

Oh well, like the man said, trust but verify.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:34 AM

19,506 posts, read 17,748,691 times
Well I have lived just outside of New Bern for 13 years now and my wife is a life long resident and we both have never had any problems with crime or anything else, neither have her elderly parents who have lived in the same house for 40 years inside of New Bern which is just outside of a low incoem area. there is crime but as said before it is mostly in the 2 poor regions, stay away from those and you will be fine. I personally would never live in New bern because of the double taxes that hit ya, but my water and electric bill are very low compared to say Havelock, Morehead, or the big cities farther away.
If you look at the Sun Journal most of crimes are centered around low income and are against those who led criminal lives themselves. I have never seen anyone urinate in public except for around bars.
The local government is crap and needs to be voted out but only because of their bad and costly decisions like the stupid pool they built that is only open for a few short hours. What a waste of money.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:50 PM

Don't take it personal. I never said most of your posts were negative, I simply said most negative posts about New Bern are by you. I also never said anything you said was false, only that your resulting opinion about New Bern being a desirable place to live. is a minority one. I even posted a link to the paper, so where are these aspersions? From a certain perspective, your opinion could be considered even more valid, as most other posters, my self included, are posting from outside the city limits, whereas you seem to live in town. On the other hand, most people moving to the area are moving to the outlying areas, such as Taberna, River Bend, Neuse Harbor and the like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
To say that most of my posts about New Bern are negative is ridiculous. Do a search and some analysis.

Bill's comment about "trust by verify" is true. Verify EVERYTHING that I have said via the Sun Journal or other document.

Please note, no one has said what I posted is not true, just aspersions.

Hey, I wish New Bern was perfect. After living here several years it is now obvious that it is not what it seems.

Sure, realtors want you to believe all the "good stuff", but they also want to sell you a house and take your money, too.

Again, as I said in my post that is referenced, just read the paper, that is what I do. And I defy anyone to prove me wrong. Yeah, that would be the verify bit.

Oh, did I mention the bum that has a tall boy, EVERY DAY, in the park across the street? Leaves it, in a brown paper bag, and a healthy dose of urine, daily. He only stops when my truck is gone. The PO-PO have been notified, but can't seem to stop that, either.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:45 PM

693 posts, read 1,407,355 times
No, crime is not bad. I live downtown next to one of the "projects" and while one time I had an unlocked bike stolen off my front porch, I have had no other issues over the 6 years I've owned a house in this neighborhood. Of course there is crime, there is crime everywhere, but it's certainly not like you have to bar your windows and put concertina wire around your house! Actually, the last thing I would worry about in New Bern is crime.

Old 09-08-2009, 09:25 PM

47 posts, read 129,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post

<snip>

LLN,
Did 'ya ever offer the bum a ham sandwich? I know, I know, could end up like a stray cat you feed once and they never leave... But, in my experience, offer them a sandwich, preach a little.... he won't be back.

Well, I am making the plunge into New Bern. I got the job transfer and am now looking for a house suitable for a growing family. Since I will be coming down ahead of them.... I may look up the bum and share a tall boy with him. I am sure he can tell me all about which area is good or bad.

Dad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina