U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2009, 06:04 PM

96 posts, read 356,661 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to the Wilmington area within the next few months. My husband best friend moved down ten years ago and opened a successful bar/restaurant downtown and has been encouraging us to retire near Wilmington. Reading many of the post on this site it seems that people are not happy with the influx of newcomers to the area. What have your experiences been. Do you feel welcome? Are you treated like an outsider? We won't need jobs but we do have a 19 yo in college and are concerned that he can fit in after graduating from school.
Natives: how do you feel? I know transplants are crowding your roads and filling up your school;What are your feelings about the influx of newcomers? Are we welcome there or are we stealing your jobs and reeking havoc???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 07:27 PM

214 posts, read 737,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkozlpn View Post
My husband and I are moving to the Wilmington area within the next few months. My husband best friend moved down ten years ago and opened a successful bar/restaurant downtown and has been encouraging us to retire near Wilmington. Reading many of the post on this site it seems that people are not happy with the influx of newcomers to the area. What have your experiences been. Do you feel welcome? Are you treated like an outsider? We won't need jobs but we do have a 19 yo in college and are concerned that he can fit in after graduating from school.
Natives: how do you feel? I know transplants are crowding your roads and filling up your school;What are your feelings about the influx of newcomers? Are we welcome there or are we stealing your jobs and reeking havoc???
Like anyone entering a new territory, one will feel a little hesitant, a little cautious, somewhat wary.
So odd that you ask, have you never moved to a new place before? It will all depend on your attitude, your expectations, and what you make of this new adventure, if you are viewing it as such.
You have indicated you have no money worries, so what are you really scared about? What does it matter if folks down here may at first resent you, you will find that everywhere, unless you move to DC, NY, or San Fran, where people don't have the time to scrutinize others.
I'm a newcomer, so I can't speak for the ones who have lived here all their lives, if they are resentful best address them.

Old 09-07-2009, 09:31 PM

96 posts, read 356,661 times
You guessed right. I have never moved to a new place. I have been in the same town my entire adult life and grew up in the same area in New York. I do consider the move as an adventure however once we leave new york (and my hubby retires) theres no way we could ever afford to come back. My 40yo home that sold for 350k would probably be 150k in NC. We pay 8k a yr in taxes, $280 a month elec, over 400 a month for heating oil. It's crazy, but it's home. In NC, if we play our cards right we should live comfortably on our small pensions and savings. I just hope we love the area as much as we have when we've vacationed there.

Old 09-07-2009, 11:37 PM

693 posts, read 1,408,868 times
Let's see, on my block of 6 houses in New Bern we have families from the west coast, PA, RI, Missouri, and the UK. I am the only North Carolinian! But, one thing that I have found to be true at least about New Bern is that people are open to people from all places. I think at least here you would feel very welcome.

Nobody has a right to feel they "own" a place. It's a free country (for now). So you should feel welcome wherever you go within the borders of this country!

The only time I get annoyed with "newcomers" is when they complain about how folks here don't do things like where they are from (invariably these complainers seem to be from the NE, but that may be because most of the retirees are coming down from there), or they make fun of the slower pace of life, equate relaxed pace with lower intelligence, etc. But, that's their bad attitude, and I have no problem telling them where to stick their attitude.

Old 09-08-2009, 06:19 AM

214 posts, read 737,313 times
Quote:
You guessed right. I have never moved to a new place. I have been in the same town my entire adult life and grew up in the same area in New York. I do consider the move as an adventure however once we leave new york (and my hubby retires) theres no way we could ever afford to come back. My 40yo home that sold for 350k would probably be 150k in NC. We pay 8k a yr in taxes, $280 a month elec, over 400 a month for heating oil. It's crazy, but it's home. In NC, if we play our cards right we should live comfortably on our small pensions and savings. I just hope we love the area as much as we have when we've vacationed there.
I think you will do just fine here, if nothing else your cost of living will be less. And it is a plus that you have people here that you know already.
I'm not familiar with your area of NY, but we have so many transplants in the area, which I think is a good thing, you should have no problems adjusting at all, Good Luck , and Welcome! Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:56 AM

169 posts, read 518,966 times
My wife and I have been here for five years and we have loved every minute of it. There are some who resent us but it's a small minority that can be safely ignored.

Old 09-08-2009, 03:54 PM

431 posts, read 1,012,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melbern View Post
Let's see, on my block of 6 houses in New Bern we have families from the west coast, PA, RI, Missouri, and the UK. I am the only North Carolinian! But, one thing that I have found to be true at least about New Bern is that people are open to people from all places. I think at least here you would feel very welcome.

Nobody has a right to feel they "own" a place. It's a free country (for now). So you should feel welcome wherever you go within the borders of this country!

The only time I get annoyed with "newcomers" is when they complain about how folks here don't do things like where they are from (invariably these complainers seem to be from the NE, but that may be because most of the retirees are coming down from there), or they make fun of the slower pace of life, equate relaxed pace with lower intelligence, etc. But, that's their bad attitude, and I have no problem telling them where to stick their attitude.
The only thing that bothered me when I visited was the fact that no one seemed to use their signals. Traffic was nothing. It was just the cars suddenly sliding in front of me. I noticed it a lot in the South. But you really find it most places I think. Otherwise, I completely love everything else (except the pork brains on a menu).

Old 09-08-2009, 05:24 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,248,228 times
Quote:
My husband and I are moving to the Wilmington area within the next few months. My husband best friend moved down ten years ago and opened a successful bar/restaurant downtown and has been encouraging us to retire near Wilmington.
I am curious which one, but I understand if you don't want to say.

Quote:
Reading many of the post on this site it seems that people are not happy with the influx of newcomers to the area. What have your experiences been. Do you feel welcome? Are you treated like an outsider?
I would say that the area is very inclusive. There has been at least 20 years of solid New York/New Jersey to Wilmington migration. People are not particularly friendly here, they just seem to ignore you. It is weird, but it is not a problem. If I had to label Wilmingtonians, I would describe them as "big city people."

People assume I am a native, although I'm not. I know I had to adjust to Wilmington as being busy and fast paced, especially out there on the roads. The city, and especially the people, are not at all like the area I'm from. I remember thinking once, it is almost as if you took one person from each town in America, and put them all in one small city. At the same time, you can go 45 minutes outside of Wilmington and be in some of the most rural areas in the South.

Quote:
Are we welcome there or are we stealing your jobs and reeking havoc???
Hard for me to speak on behalf of natives. I've met an awful lot of people here, and I would guesstimate that maybe five percent of the people I've met are born & raised in Wilmington.

Old 09-09-2009, 05:39 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,700,975 times
Well, Wilmington is really not unlike where you're from, it's near the ocean, beach cottages there, with the city being much more manageable and minus the tall buildings and racket of NYC. Lots of New Yorkers live in Wilmington, and there is not only your friend's eaterie, but also other NY-style restaurants too. Just the fact that you'll get a better house for your money is good, plus the almost total lack of winter.

What you ought to do, if you haven't already, is visit Wilmington for a nice mini-vacation, the water is still okay to take a dip in, stay in a cute hotel in the downtown area. You'll love the Southern drawl and good manners and slower pace than NY. Your son will be able to find all sorts of neat places to live and work up and down the East Coast, or even inland at Atlanta's really big city, plus since UNC Wilmington is right in town, there will be plenty of people his age that are just starting out, too... he might even want to transfer after he's visited you all a few times, and then he'll have friends already around when he grads.

If you think you won't like it, don't put every dime you got in a house down here, cuz you will have extra if you upgrade just a little bit here... see, just having that nest egg for the first couple years will give you a sense of security about wanting to return to NY, and then if you decide you do like Wilmington, you'll maybe find a bigger and better house in neighborhoods you get to know and you can upgrade, or invest in a little beach house and rent it for extra income when you're not staying in it.

Anytime you move, there is a period of adjustment, even if you just move to another house in the same town you're at now. They say after a person lives in a house for three weeks, it then feels like their own. It's the same way with a different town. So, your breaking-in period won't be too long, so find all the good stuff about your new town, and set about enjoying yourself. But I sure don't envy your move, all those boxes! I really think once you finally get to where you're going, you'll be so glad the move is done, that you won't care WHERE you wind up!

Old 09-09-2009, 01:20 PM

431 posts, read 1,012,832 times
When I visited I stayed at the new Country Inn & Suites just off Market St. It was clean and convenient to everything.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina