U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2009, 04:38 AM

28 posts, read 47,877 times

Advertisements

Hey,
We are narrowing down our search area to move to. Looking at either Bath or Oriental NC. Wife had a question about insects and pest in these areas. we live in NJ right now, and down by the bay and ocean are these nasty Green head and black flies that bite as soon as they land on you. Travels in swarms. we were wondering what are the biggest problems in these areas? Are the insects bad? what is the snake population like? can they be kept at bay with insecticides? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 05:56 AM

1,676 posts, read 5,360,577 times
Snakes? Yep-The region has them. Below is a picture of a snake that I took a couple of months ago downtown Oriental, on the road, right at waters aedge

He was eating an eel

As far as the biting flies. Most prominent are the deer flies or sometimes called the May flies. These nasty biting critters come out in May (hence the name) and hang around for a month or so.
In all of my ventures in Carteret, Craven, Onslow, Pamlico, Beaufort Counties-I have never experienced a swarm of these flies.

I have had the awful "swarming" experience with them in West Virginia.
For some reason the flies seemed to be attracted to black and the very dark colors. I was riding in a red pick up truck thru the woods in West Virginia when both side view mirrors-both the color black-got mauled by these flies. The rest of the truck was left alone.

Any way-Back to North Carolina-I am not trying to scare you away from Oriental or Bath. But please keep in mind that the Inner Banks of North Carolina is for the most paart (and by many peoples standard) undeveloped. Water, water everywhere and is in a subtropic zone-So we get "critters". But nothing like Florida!! Oy!
The region is also loaded (maybe even over loaded) with deer, wild turkey, ducks, geese, swans and the fishing? Well lets just say its, "World Class!"

Bill Hitchcock

Old 09-09-2009, 05:48 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,700,035 times
I think mosquitoes will be your challenge, but that's what screen porches are for, plus you get used to putting on bug repellants before you go outside. Bugs are a little bigger, but like anything, you get accustomed, and you can have a guy come and spray around your home every year to keep them out of there. Snakes hang around water, but they're usually black snakes which are harmless and eat rodents, so they're good to have and they won't bother you. Usually you won't see any if you keep your yard mowed.

Old 09-11-2009, 10:32 AM

31 posts, read 91,294 times
Don't let anybody fool you about bugs along the coast of NC, especially the so called "Inner Banks" Look at the marsh and water surrounding the area. There is no better place anywhere to breed mosquitos and flys. They can be oppressive at times anywhere in the areas you mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina