U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2009, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Morehead City, NC
1,676 posts, read 5,354,974 times
Reputation: 1244

Advertisements

Buyers tend to buy where all the other buyers buy. Demand and price scoot on up. You'll find in a lot of areas that if you just venture a few miles away from the 'buying hub" that the price will decrease and the opportunity for benefit will increase.

The average sold price for a Crystal Coast home this year is $235K-That's factoring in the beach properties too.
The average sold price this year for a home in the Neuse River region (Including Oriental & New Bern) is $199K.
Your goal of sub-$250K is more than realistic.
Bill
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2009, 01:23 PM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
Reputation: 2068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Havelock is the armpit of the area--don't go there! Military town and all its "accoutrements", pretty much nothing else there.
^^^^^^^^^^^

Can u be more specific? What are these accouterments? What do u mean by nothing else? There's a Walmart in Havelock, with more stores opening everyday, and it's only 15 minutes from Wildwood, where there's a Best Buy, Sears, TJ MAXX and several other stores, including another Walmart. Unlike Jacksonville and fayetteville, it's not over ran with strip clubs or pawn shops or tatoo parlors. I think there is about two of each.
Havelock is definitely not your "classic" military town like fayetteville or Jacksonville. In fact I've known several people from outside the area that weren't even aware there was a base in Havelock though passed through the town on their way to the beach. In Havelock the military blends into the community, it doesn't over run it. In reality, there is just as much miltary living in New Bern and Newport. As I've said before, the way some people post it may seem like the area from New Bern through MHC down to Jacksonville are all distinct places (and each does have it's own personality) but they are all pretty interconnected.

Havelock has some of the top schools in the area, including the #1 High School with a rating of 9 on greatschools.net and an ABC school of distinction and high growth. Croatan High, in Carteret is rated 9 as well and is a school of excellence, but is much smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2009, 06:19 PM
 
214 posts, read 736,459 times
Reputation: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

Can u be more specific? What are these accouterments? What do u mean by nothing else? There's a Walmart in Havelock, with more stores opening everyday, and it's only 15 minutes from Wildwood, where there's a Best Buy, Sears, TJ MAXX and several other stores, including another Walmart. Unlike Jacksonville and fayetteville, it's not over ran with strip clubs or pawn shops or tatoo parlors. I think there is about two of each.
Havelock is definitely not your "classic" military town like fayetteville or Jacksonville. In fact I've known several people from outside the area that weren't even aware there was a base in Havelock though passed through the town on their way to the beach. In Havelock the military blends into the community, it doesn't over run it. In reality, there is just as much miltary living in New Bern and Newport. As I've said before, the way some people post it may seem like the area from New Bern through MHC down to Jacksonville are all distinct places (and each does have it's own personality) but they are all pretty interconnected.

Havelock has some of the top schools in the area, including the #1 High School with a rating of 9 on greatschools.net and an ABC school of distinction and high growth. Croatan High, in Carteret is rated 9 as well and is a school of excellence, but is much smaller.
Don't you just love it when posters make these sort of comments, and just throw it out there, thinking everyone is stupid enough to "believe what they read."

Last edited by seashellbelle; 09-15-2009 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Was referring to post by Originally Posted by Francois
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-16-2009, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Sneads Ferry, NC
18 posts, read 87,719 times
Reputation: 12
New Bern is a nice quiet little town with lots of waterfrontage on both the Neuse and Trent rivers. Your $250,000 will buy a lot more house in New Bern compared to something closer to the beach. From New Bern you are 45 minutes to Atlantic Beach depending on traffic. Worth a visit and when you're downtown The Chelsea or Captain Ratty's are both great spots for lunch or dinner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2009, 08:25 PM
 
Location: Tejas
263 posts, read 973,559 times
Reputation: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by macjr82 View Post
^^^^^^^^^^^

Can u be more specific? What are these accouterments?

What do u mean by nothing else? There's a Walmart in Havelock [SNIP] Unlike Jacksonville and fayetteville, it's not over ran with strip clubs or pawn shops or tatoo parlors. I think there is about two of each.
Havelock is definitely not your "classic" military town like fayetteville or Jacksonville. In fact I've known several people from outside the area that weren't even aware there was a base in Havelock though passed through the town on their way to the beach. In Havelock the military blends into the community, it doesn't over run it.
You make "military" sound like a four-letter word.

Having lived a good part of my life in Florida and living in Jax since May, I can assure you that even Jax is not "over ran [sic] with strip clubs or pawn shops."

There's a Wal-Mart? Oh, thank my lucky stars! Two Wal-Marts? Well I am doubly blessed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2009, 05:43 AM
LLN
 
Location: Upstairs closet
4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
Reputation: 6450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
Havelock is the armpit of the area--don't go there! Military town and all its "accoutrements", pretty much nothing else there.
Well Francois:

If you can insult our military in writing thank a teacher. If you can do it in English, thank the military that live in a MILITARY TOWN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-19-2009, 06:57 AM
 
Location: Lake Waccamaw, NC
21 posts, read 77,721 times
Reputation: 14
Jacksonville used to be overrun w/ strip clubs. About 15 years ago. Its been cleaned up a LOT. Still quite a few pawn shops, although I don't see how thats a bad thing. I think its being "cleaned up" had a lot to do w/ the base commanders or something keeping their guys from frequenting the bad areas. At least thats what a retired sgt. told me. Same deal w/ Sneads Ferry. There used to be about 4 strip clubs there, and now its down to one, and I'm not sure its even still there.

As for living in a military area, it has its good and bads. When I lived in Sneads Ferry, we were like the ONLY civilians in the entire subdivision. Lots of great people from all over the country. Unfortunately, my next door neighbor was a 21 yr old marine who PARTIED EVERY WEEKEND! The cops were called numerous times (not by me) and I went and talked w/ him a few times. Eventually he calmed down a little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-20-2009, 09:51 AM
 
3,071 posts, read 7,817,588 times
Reputation: 2068
Quote:
Originally Posted by goi_cuon View Post
You make "military" sound like a four-letter word.

Having lived a good part of my life in Florida and living in Jax since May, I can assure you that even Jax is not "over ran [sic] with strip clubs or pawn shops."

There's a Wal-Mart? Oh, thank my lucky stars! Two Wal-Marts? Well I am doubly blessed!

definitely not my intent, being a military brat myself, furthermore a Marine myself, furthermore a recruiter. If it sounded that way, it was more a response to Francois post and responding directly to the idea that Havelock is a military town vs a response defending the fact that there is nothing wrong with a military town. You can see my support of military towns in the following thread:
Does the military ruin an area?

Growing up in Havelock, I never liked jacksonvillle or fayetteville. Both of them felt like too many people in too small an area. Fun fact, the intersection of western and 17 was the busiest intersection by volume in the state. Jacksonville has come along way, but is still undoubtedly a military town in a way that Havelock is not.

Fun Fact number 2: The Military bases and defense contractors are the number one, and highest paying employers in eastern NC. As rural as some consider the area of th coast as you head toward down east, w/o the bases it would be alot more rural. Closer to the NE carolina coast, north of Greenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top