Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 06:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPlayNC View Post
rubber factory,

We have 2 in college (NC schools) and 2 still at home. How many of your children have gone to New Hanover High School?

Not good advice about NHHS. I have two students there who excel, LOVE their school, their teachers and came from one of the TOP tier high schools in this country. Please be careful on such advice that is strictly a family by family assessment.

NHHS offers many credits not offered at the schools you mentioned. How do you know what her nearly-adult children are interested in for their life's work?

If you would spend time walking the halls and meeting the teachers and staff, you would see WHY this school is an exceptional choice. Teachers are not hung up on "controlling" every sneeze of every student ... they're teaching and mentoring and it is wonderful.

(our family has personally experienced high schools in 4 different school districts and I know what I am talking about when it comes to choosing schools. You always recommend that families go to the school, talk with a counselor and look at the offerings to determine what fits them the best. High School is about the success of the young adult NOT the ego of the parents).
Hi GoPlayNC,

I never made any absolute statements about the quality of education at NHHS, and I never said that students cannot get a quality education there. I assume that people on this board are capable of doing their own research about what their child needs. I don't care that NHHS "is an exceptional choice" in your opinion. The issue is how it compares to its rival schools in the area.

New Hanover High is the worst-rated high school in the county, by greatschools.com. It also has the worst scores. It is also in a bad part of town that I wouldn't walk around in at night. I wouldn't send my kids to school in that location even if it was the best in town. I'm not here to make anyone feel warm and fuzzy about their choices, I am here to dispense the best information that I know of. Best of luck with you and yours.

Last edited by le roi; 01-05-2010 at 07:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 04:35 PM

17 posts, read 49,550 times
Default Help with a level head & real experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
yes indeed... you are not clear. I assume you are buying for $600k, rather than asking about rentals for $600/month?

You won't be able to get anything prime for $600-700k, but if you want to be on the water, I think your price range will get you there.

6946 Runningbrook Ter, Wilmington, NC 28411 - Zillow

^ for example

The only hard-and-fast rule with Wilmington schools, don't be in a New Hanover High district. Those are mostly downtown, but a few middle class neighborhoods throughout town get screwed. Hoggard, Ashley and Laney are all good H.S. districts, I'd focus more on finding the right the feeder schools than choosing between those three.

In the communities nearby Wilmington, like Ogden or Hampstead or Topsail, I really don't know much about. They are a little quieter than Wilmington, a little cheaper, and I believe the schools are just as good.
Good Grief R.F.

You Clearly stated above, "Don't be in New Hanover High district." and "a few middle class neighborhoods throughout town get screwed."

That is some strong language and an absolute statement. "The only hard-and-fast..." Really R.F.? Never?

In addition, the website you suggest, greatschools.com is not an "absolute" resource either. Just like this forum.

And lastly, you said, "I assume that people on this board are capable ..."

Never Assume. It is not polite and certainly not an 'absolute' way to look at giving anyone looking for help, actual help.

My comments that I posted ARE BASED ON LIVING FACTS. Not a warm fuzzy feeling.

Nice to see you keep up with your posts. Have a pleasant evening. Keep the heat on it is only getting colder this week.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:16 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPlayNC View Post
That is some strong language and an absolute statement. "The only hard-and-fast..." Really R.F.? Never?

In addition, the website you suggest, greatschools.com is not an "absolute" resource either. Just like this forum.
Hi GoPlayNC,

You may not understand what I mean when I say "absolute". It is the opposite of relative.

In other words, the statements I make are relative to the other schools in the county, as opposed to being absolute claims that New Hanover is a bad school.

New Hanover High is a great school by the relative standards of where I come from, but where I come from is irrelevant, you see?

People are trying to decide between schools like Hoggard, Laney, Ashley, or Cape Fear Academy. How many of your children graduated from one of these schools?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina