U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 PM

3 posts, read 8,503 times

Advertisements

Moving from Atlanta. Looking for something on the water- maybe $600- $700. Trying to get some info on the areas and what might be a good fit.

We have kids so schools would be something to consider. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:19 PM

431 posts, read 1,012,573 times
From what I've seen, you can get some pretty nice houses for that price. I suggest start with craigslist.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:24 PM

I'm assuming you mean 600-700k.

Old 09-21-2009, 06:32 PM

214 posts, read 737,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean330 View Post
From what I've seen, you can get some pretty nice houses for that price. I suggest start with craigslist.
coffee bean, no offense, but why is someone from Gallupville, NY, stepping forward and offering suggestions as to what relocatees should be doing when looking for property in coastal NC, just curious

Old 09-22-2009, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seashellbelle View Post
coffee bean, no offense, but why is someone from Gallupville, NY, stepping forward and offering suggestions as to what relocatees should be doing when looking for property in coastal NC, just curious
I'm just offering what I can because I plan on relocating to Wilmington too. I never said I knew exactly what they needed.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:46 PM

3 posts, read 8,503 times
Yes, Coffeebean330, I did not mean that I wanted to purchase a beach house for six hundred dollars.....I should have been clearer perhaps?

Old 09-23-2009, 06:27 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,236,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberlyn View Post
Yes, Coffeebean330, I did not mean that I wanted to purchase a beach house for six hundred dollars.....I should have been clearer perhaps?
yes indeed... you are not clear. I assume you are buying for $600k, rather than asking about rentals for $600/month?

You won't be able to get anything prime for $600-700k, but if you want to be on the water, I think your price range will get you there.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/69...54297758_zpid/

^ for example

The only hard-and-fast rule with Wilmington schools, don't be in a New Hanover High district. Those are mostly downtown, but a few middle class neighborhoods throughout town get screwed. Hoggard, Ashley and Laney are all good H.S. districts, I'd focus more on finding the right the feeder schools than choosing between those three.

In the communities nearby Wilmington, like Ogden or Hampstead or Topsail, I really don't know much about. They are a little quieter than Wilmington, a little cheaper, and I believe the schools are just as good.

Last edited by le roi; 09-23-2009 at 06:41 AM..

Old 09-24-2009, 02:35 PM

70 posts, read 161,966 times
Hi Amberlyn,I would make a list of the things that would be ideal for your new home to have(fenced yard, # of bedrooms, age of home, etc) and search the local listings to get a pool of possible homes. Then look at their location on a map. Check the local school website too. I realize that not all facts will show up like they do for us realtors but most of them do. Are you aware of the situation regarding insurance for a home on the water? It can be quite expensive but a local agent can give you a quote if you give them an address. Hampstead has lovely homes, good schools , more relaxed feel. Huge choices for great homes at Kure Beach.

Old 12-31-2009, 03:32 PM

17 posts, read 45,289 times
rubber factory,

We have 2 in college (NC schools) and 2 still at home. How many of your children have gone to New Hanover High School?

Not good advice about NHHS. I have two students there who excel, LOVE their school, their teachers and came from one of the TOP tier high schools in this country. Please be careful on such advice that is strictly a family by family assessment.

NHHS offers many credits not offered at the schools you mentioned. How do you know what her nearly-adult children are interested in for their life's work?

If you would spend time walking the halls and meeting the teachers and staff, you would see WHY this school is an exceptional choice. Teachers are not hung up on "controlling" every sneeze of every student ... they're teaching and mentoring and it is wonderful.

(our family has personally experienced high schools in 4 different school districts and I know what I am talking about when it comes to choosing schools. You always recommend that families go to the school, talk with a counselor and look at the offerings to determine what fits them the best. High School is about the success of the young adult NOT the ego of the parents).

Old 01-05-2010, 06:01 AM

291 posts, read 766,821 times
You could probably find something on the "water" (i.e. tidal creek or sound) in Hampstead for that price Schools are good here. For further info on the area, suggest you do a search on this forum for Hampstead and you will find info about it, and then if you have further questions, please post or send me a private message. Hope you will find a wonderful place to call home! So much depends on where you or your husband will be working and what type lifestyle you prefer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina