U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2009, 01:24 PM

5 posts, read 12,226 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody. My husband is about to graduate from Pharmacy school and we are looking to relocate to Costal North Carolina from Chicago Il. We are a family of six. Our children are young, the oldest is 6. We are looking at either Downtown Willmington in the Forest Hills neighborhood or in the Wrightsville Beach area, but we are open to all suggestions . Our housing budget is about 500K but less would be great! We need an area with fun things to do and great schools (Preferably public schools. Having four kids we would be broke if we had to send them to private school.) and low crime. We are a laid back fun loving family who just likes to have fun and enjoy life. Please help us narrow our search for the perfect place. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2009, 02:22 PM

70 posts, read 161,909 times
So how did you come to pick Wrightsville Beach or Forest Hills? Did you see these areas before? If you check out the school website(nhcs.k12.nc) it should give you the info on local schools. Did you try that yet? There are lots of factors to consider. I have always found it helpful to give my clients a checklist to help them narrow their focus-ie. size of yard, proximity to shopping etc. Have you already done that? I can be more specific with help if you can give me a little more detail.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:43 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,222,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynsouth View Post
Hi everybody. My husband is about to graduate from Pharmacy school and we are looking to relocate to Costal North Carolina from Chicago Il. We are a family of six. Our children are young, the oldest is 6. We are looking at either Downtown Willmington in the Forest Hills neighborhood or in the Wrightsville Beach area, but we are open to all suggestions . Our housing budget is about 500K but less would be great! We need an area with fun things to do and great schools (Preferably public schools. Having four kids we would be broke if we had to send them to private school.) and low crime. We are a laid back fun loving family who just likes to have fun and enjoy life. Please help us narrow our search for the perfect place. Thanks
I've lived downtown and I currently live in Wrightsville Beach. Most people don't consider Forest Hills "downtown", although it borders it.

Forest Hills is the "old money" part of Wilmington, and is a haven for wealthy born-and-raised locals. However, the zoned high school is not good, same as the rest of downtown. I personally would only buy a house in Forest Hills if I was going to send my kids to somewhere like Cape Fear Academy. I'm not sure what houses cost there, but $500k seems like its in the ballpark, maybe toward the lower end. I think Forest Hills is a great looking neighborhood with tall oak trees, and its some of the highest ground in the county, so flooding is not an issue.

As far as Wrightsville Beach goes, it is a great place to live, but I don't think $500k will even buy you a condo.

Old 09-24-2009, 03:28 PM

Thank you for your info rubber_factory it was very helpful. Is there a neighborhood close to Wrightsville Beach that might be more affordable? What is your opinion on the Landfall neighborhood? We are looking for somewere close to the beach, we enjoy boating, A neighborhood that we could walk to a small downtown area would be great, historical home would again be great but not a necessity. We are open to any suggestions. I just narrowed those areas down because I liked the houses. Thanks again for your help.

Old 09-24-2009, 04:11 PM

22,769 posts, read 26,222,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flynsouth View Post
Thank you for your info rubber_factory it was very helpful. Is there a neighborhood close to Wrightsville Beach that might be more affordable? What is your opinion on the Landfall neighborhood? We are looking for somewere close to the beach, we enjoy boating, A neighborhood that we could walk to a small downtown area would be great, historical home would again be great but not a necessity. We are open to any suggestions. I just narrowed those areas down because I liked the houses. Thanks again for your help.
Downtown is walkable, but I wouldn't recommend it to a family of 6. It would be expensive, and you'd have to be OK with your kids exposed to the 'grown up world' real quick. Bars, tattoo parlors, drugs. Families from the region storm downtown several times a year for festivals and such, though. Mayfaire is a nice walkable commercial area, like an outdoor mall, towards Wrightsville Beach.

Pretty much everything east of college road is similar, particularly along Middle Sound Loop Rd, Greenville Loop Rd, and Masonboro Loop Rd. - it is a wide variety of neighborhoods built between the 70's-00's, good schools. Generally speaking a newer part of town. Biggest problems are traffic and flooding due to county planning.

Landfall is stereotyped as people from from out of town who own colossal houses behind gates and pay high HOA fees. I know little beyond the stereotype. I'm sure they're all nice people.

Last edited by le roi; 09-24-2009 at 04:23 PM..

Old 09-24-2009, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
Downtown is walkable, but I wouldn't recommend it to a family of 6. It would be expensive, and you'd have to be OK with your kids exposed to the 'grown up world' real quick. Bars, tattoo parlors, drugs. Families from the region storm downtown several times a year for festivals and such, though. Mayfaire is a nice walkable commercial area, like an outdoor mall, towards Wrightsville Beach.

Pretty much everything east of college road is similar, particularly along Middle Sound Loop Rd, Greenville Loop Rd, and Masonboro Loop Rd. - it is a wide variety of neighborhoods built between the 70's-00's, good schools. Generally speaking a newer part of town. Biggest problems are traffic and flooding due to county planning.

Landfall is stereotyped as people from from out of town who own colossal houses behind gates and pay high HOA fees. I know little beyond the stereotype. I'm sure they're all nice people.

Hmmm. Well that is really good information. I pictured Downtown Willmington as a quaint down town with Ice cream shops a movie theater and so on. I did not even think about tattoo parlors, bars and drugs.....ugggg. I live in a beautiful burb outside of Chicago. The kids and I go downtown all the time and it is wonderful. What you are describing sounds very seedy and not family friendly. I really appreciate your info. Maybe it's time to look somewhere else.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:21 PM

311 posts, read 812,145 times
Flyinsouth, downtown can definitely be quaint during the day and would be fine for a family to stroll through. At night is more-so when you would see that bar/club crowd, but I don't think you would be there with your young family late at night. However, I still think a better fit for you guys would be Landfall, the gated subdivision near Wrightsville Beach, as well as the Mayfaire shopping center which I think you would like for taking the family out. Take a look at this link and view the landfall listings.. plenty of nice homes in your price range.. Landfall Realty - Premier Gated Private Golf Community in Wilmington NC

The Village at Mayfaire : Town Center (http://www.thevillageatmayfaire.com/town/townCenter.cfm - broken link) <---Mayfaire

Old 09-25-2009, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeSweetHomeNY View Post
Flyinsouth, downtown can definitely be quaint during the day and would be fine for a family to stroll through. At night is more-so when you would see that bar/club crowd, but I don't think you would be there with your young family late at night. However, I still think a better fit for you guys would be Landfall, the gated subdivision near Wrightsville Beach, as well as the Mayfaire shopping center which I think you would like for taking the family out. Take a look at this link and view the landfall listings.. plenty of nice homes in your price range.. Landfall Realty - Premier Gated Private Golf Community in Wilmington NC

The Village at Mayfaire : Town Center (http://www.thevillageatmayfaire.com/town/townCenter.cfm - broken link) <---Mayfaire

Thank you very much. Very very helpful. I looked at the video and it looks like a beautiful place to live. We are going to go and check it out this winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina