Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:41 PM

4 posts, read 15,573 times

Advertisements

Just returned back to Onslow County and am trying to get my home insurance up and running. On the west coast I was with State Farm but I've heard mixed reviews about them here in NC. People have mentioned Farm Bureau and a couple other companies I'm not too familiar with. Can anyone shed some light on which companies are best for coverage and for payout, in the event of a hurricane, here in NC??? I'd like to know the company will have my best interests at heart and take care of me and my family and not just their commission and bottom line. Nor do I want to have to duke it out with them if there is some sort of storm. Please help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2009, 09:49 AM

116 posts, read 423,938 times
Farm Bureau no longer does home owners insurance in NC, at least here in the Wilmington area, they didn't renew my insurance and I went with State Farm, I think the only other insurance company that does wind and hail (besides the beach plan) is Nationwide. Please let me know if you find another insurance company that does insure homes in NC, thanks.

Old 08-11-2009, 02:40 PM

36 posts, read 140,126 times
I live in Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrga w and the insurance is real cheap on my 1967 single wide...No complaints.....

Old 08-11-2009, 05:35 PM

291 posts, read 866,184 times
State Farm was very fair with us in 1996 when we were hit by both Bertha and Fran. We are still insured by them.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:17 PM

983 posts, read 3,972,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robma44541 View Post
Farm Bureau no longer does home owners insurance in NC, at least here in the Wilmington area, they didn't renew my insurance and I went with State Farm, I think the only other insurance company that does wind and hail (besides the beach plan) is Nationwide. Please let me know if you find another insurance company that does insure homes in NC, thanks.

My parents have Farm Bureau and they have a house and other property in Sneads Ferry.

Old 08-12-2009, 05:10 PM

148 posts, read 608,874 times
Some places in Onslow county do NOT require wind and hail, so shop around, but my advice to anyone is when you need it, you want it......

Old 08-12-2009, 08:32 PM

36 posts, read 140,126 times
Here in Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgaw...Does not require flood insurance..But do reccomend tire insurance It is cheap...Have a total of 12 tires underneath my home and it only cost me 50.00 a year...When i get ready to move my home i have no worries,,Matter of fact when i moved my home back in 1993 in Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgaw one of my tires blew out and state farm reinburst me...The cost was $150.00...Well with the roadside assistance..It was not bad..Shucks.....The tire guy went right underneath my home and fix it on the spot....And we still had time to set my home up before dark...WOW!!!!!!

Old 10-07-2009, 01:28 AM

3 posts, read 9,538 times
Default NC Wind and Hail Insurance

I don't think a lot of people understand that NONE of the Insurance Companies in NC offer Wind and Hail insurance anymore. When NC created the NC Wind and Hail Insurance Policy the other companies stopped providing insurance. The result, hazard insurance premiums doubled, tripled and more over a short period of time.

In 2006 I bought a home and I was forced into NC Wind and Hail coverage. The house was worth $230k, was nearly 30 miles inland from the coast (but in a "coastal" county) and the area had not been affected by a hurricane in 60 + years. My coverage was $1000 annually. I thought that was crazy since I owned a $300k house on Emerald Isle, four blocks from the beach and my policy with USAA was less than $1000 annually for my entire policy to include hazard.

You see, this is what happens when the government steps in to "fix" something. Keep that in mind when you promote the new government "fix" for healthcare!

Anyway, I didn't realize just how good I had it at $1000 because now, three years later NC Wind and Hail has risen to over $1600 annually and not only have their been no hurricanes, I haven't even claimed a missing shingle! It would be ridiculous to do so since my detuctible is $1500.

So, as you can see the government "fix" for hazard insurance did nothing more than hurt the people it was intended to protect. What can you do? As far as I know nothing! Mortgage companies require you to have and even if it isn't written in your loan documents, they'll force you into it or threaten to go through Loydds of London which is $3k annually.

I suggest that everyone write their Congress persons and let them know how disatisfied you are. Better yet, start voting some of these idiots out of office!

Old 10-07-2009, 01:54 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,667,407 times
We are in New Bern and used Farm Bureau in December 2007 when we bought out home. It has been fine so far, but have not yet, had, thankfully, hurricane damage.

lln

Old 10-07-2009, 02:41 PM

693 posts, read 1,598,585 times
I'm in New Bern and use Farm Bureau also. Have had no reason to claim but they've been nice to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina