U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 10-05-2009, 09:23 AM

2 posts, read 7,780 times

Advertisements

Looking at the maps it seems that many of the beaches have private homes between them and the street. Are these beaches private?

I'm used to beaches with public access and boardwalks like those around Ocean City Maryland, Rehoboth Beach DE, and the Jersey shore. What am I going to find in NC?

How accessible are the beaches near Wilmington - is parking available - are there beach fees - life guards - restaurants and bars with water views? Are the beaches well maintained? What is your favorite public beach?

Thanks for the info.
Drew
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2009, 09:52 AM

135 posts, read 367,097 times
not to worry, on wrightsville there are several beach access points. While a lot of them are lined by private homes, the access points are public. There is metered parking in the street, and 3 or 4 lot parking spots where you can buy a parking pass by the hour or for the day. it's 1.50 and hour at both the meters and the pass areas.The lot parkings where you can get a pass, allows credit card usage, while the meters are coin-op.

my favorite area has to be towards the north end of the beach, Beach Access Point 8 i believe, it's a lot and is far enough away from the pier to get away from the surfers, but still a rather good swimming area. It should be right past the holiday inn.

There isn't a proper boardwalk in this area, but there are a lot of shops/eaterys on wrightsville beach closer to the middle of the island.

near the pier there are a few bars that may have ocean views, but off the top of my head the only restaurant that i can think of that is ocean front is the Oceanic, witch is closer to the south end of the island. It's a bit more pricey than other places, but it has awesome views and it's own little pier.

on the mainland though there are several restaurants on Airlie Dr/Rd/Way that have bars and seating that have good sound views.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:38 PM

16,623 posts, read 14,447,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drewddd View Post
Looking at the maps it seems that many of the beaches have private homes between them and the street. Are these beaches private?
Legally speaking, there are no private beaches in North Carolina. Everything below the high tide line is public land.

Practically speaking, the most accessible beaches from Wilmington are Wrightsville Beach and Kure/Carolina Beach (I don't really distinguish between Carolina and Kure). Figure Eight has a privately owned road network, Topsail is pretty far north, and the Brunswick County beaches are not convenient - with the exception of Bald Head, which I think is also "de facto private."

Wrightsville's biggest problem is availability of parking, cost of parking, traffic, and college kids. You can feed the meter if you find a spot. If you visit at peak times (Saturday in the summer), you likely won't find a spot.

Carolina Beach's biggest problem is all the rednecks, and the nasty film that the water leaves all over your skin, thanks to Snow's Cut diverting river water out of Carolina Beach inlet. I'm sure I'll get flamed for saying that Carolina Beach is a bunch of rednecks, but I'm just telling you what locals here already treat as an indisputable fact. I might even get flamed for saying that the water is nasty and full of sediment, but that too is a fact.

Last edited by le roi; 10-05-2009 at 03:51 PM..

Old 10-05-2009, 06:02 PM

332 posts, read 917,782 times
I'll side with Rubber on half of it... the water @ Carolina/Kure was not pleasant... it was that way since the first time I visited in 02 even before I moved. It was rough and gritty from the sediment and I was cut to shreds when I tried to swim @ kure. Carolina was a little better but not as good as Wrightsville. (my fave beach is North Topsail, by the way, or North Myrtle in the other direction, both have GREAT (well, did have, these things shift) shorelines for swimming.

I won't say rednecks because I'm said to say, during my 6 years in wilm, I only met like 1 redneck, was I looking in all the wrong places???

That being said, I'd say you could break into high school clique type beaches. Wrightsville = preppy, Carolina/Kure = not

I've been to both and enjoyed both immensely at different times, locations, etc. You can go to the beach for a billion reasons and I tried to find them all during my time there!!!

Agreed with others about parking, etc... but if you make friends here, you guys will all end up carpooling to the beach anyway, so it will work out just fine. I never had a problem finding a way to the beach and a place to park. Also, you'll make friends who live at the beach and they'll let you park @ their place. (more than likely)

Old 10-05-2009, 07:12 PM

57 posts, read 175,094 times
Default Carolina and Kure beaches are not the same!

I'd just like to chime in about Carolina Beach and Kure Beach... they are not the same! Carolina is a bit more redneck-y... more drinking and partying, whereas Kure is more family oriented. It's just quieter and nicer, in my opinion. And, in Kure (vs. Carolina) there is no predatory towing, and parking everywhere is FREE. I can't speak to water quality, because I have no point of reference (at least so far as other beaches in NC), but coming from the Jersey shore, I think it's beautiful.

Just my two cents.
curly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina