Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2009, 11:00 AM

4 posts, read 8,745 times

Advertisements

I am pleased with what I have found out about the education system in Carteret School districts. However, what are the athletic programs like? How about the youth programs? My oldest son is a good athlete and I want to make sure he has decent programs to participate in.

I would also be interested in info about the athletic opportunities in the Jacksonville and New Bern areas as well. With 4 sons, this is something that is of a higher priority- right behind academics!

Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2009, 01:28 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
Growing up in Havelock, it seemed Craven County was bigger into sports than Carteret. West Carteret's biggest draw seemed to be their band. Regardless, friday nights in the fall belong to High School football. All your 3A schools will have the big 3 sports, along with soccer and even golf and tennis if the particpation is there.

Speaking again for Craven county, and more specifically Havelock., it has a youth atheltics starting at 5 yr old through HS. I knew people who played babe ruth and HS ball at the same time, same for soccer. starts with t-ball, flag football, & soccer. Parents/comunity are activein all youth sports, maybe too active. Having had to play against teams from Carteret, I know thay have programs, but can't speak to the quality of them.

Old 07-22-2009, 04:43 PM

148 posts, read 611,113 times
New Bern usually has good football teams 4A school, Havelock is 3A but has tough football, West carteret 3A football I believe just ok, Croatan is 2A and their football team can surprise at times...

As far as schools overall, I would concentrate on Croatan, Swansboro, West Carteret and Havelock..for sports, academics, size, and location....

Old 10-13-2009, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,962 times
In the immediate Carteret County area, Croatan is a 2a school and is state ranked top five school for its academics. Their sports teams are fairly decent and are overall behind second in the county. West Carteret (3a) is the best for overall sports in the county. The 2008-2009 Wachovia Cup was given to West Carteret, which is given to the school that has the most teams that finish in first for each sport. Their academics are very good as well. East Carteret (1a) is a very small school but has great student to teacher ratios. Good academics, and fairly decent sports.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina