U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2009, 05:18 AM

11 posts, read 24,330 times

Advertisements

My husbands job may be possibly relocating him to the Wilmington area. I wanted to get a head start on the housing situation there. We are a little concerned about the crime . We have two small children (not school aged, but still want to live in a great school district in case we are there for a while...). We would like to find a neighborhood that is extremely family friendly (lots of kids) maybe with pools, playground, sidewalks, very safe, close to shopping etc. Somewhat newer (built within that past 10-15 years or so). Can anyone recommend any neighborhoods that meet our criteria? My husband doesn't mind commuting 30 min. or so from the downtown area, I realize we may have to live on the outskirts. We don't care about living near the beach all that much, as we really don't go that often. We will most likely be renting at first, anywhere between $1,300-$1,700 a month. Thanks .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 02:05 PM

33 posts, read 90,783 times
We just moved to the Ogden area and it sounds like it would fit what you are looking for. We are new to the area so we are renting and we have a 1900 sq. ft. house that's 3 yrs old and at the bottom of your rental range. We live right next to Ogden Park and go to the playground there a lot. There aren't sidewalks but the streets are very quiet and there are tons of cul-de-sacs. Very good for walking and bike/scooter riding. We are close to everything. Mayfaire is about 5 minutes, S. College Rd. and the Target, Wal-Mart area of Market are about 10 mins. and the Riverfront is about 15 minutes. The beach is pretty close too, but you said that didn't matter. It's a very residential area and safe. We have a 4 year old. There are about a million developments between Gordon Rd. and Market St. around the park. Not what I would be looking for if I didn't have kids, but a perfect fit for us now. Nice fenced in yards, lots of other families with kids around. Very cookie cutter but has everything we were looking for.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:25 PM

70 posts, read 161,846 times
Coastieswife,
There are several neighborhoods that meet your criteria that have current rentals on the market. I checked the mls listings and found some in Marsh Oaks, Covil Farms and Beau Rivage. They are in different parts of the county so they give you a good representation. If you have younger children you might want to rent in the neighborhood you would eventually buy in. I'm sure others will be able to reccomend more neighborhoods. I remember riding through 2 of them as I was showing homes to clients and thinking what neat neighborhoods to raise kids in. Welcome to Wilmington. If you would like me to send you the links to see the rentals just let me know.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:48 AM

Ogden sounds a lot like where we would want to live. I am not a big fan of cookie cutter homes, but all the other things definitely outweigh that. I would appreciate any leads on rentals or any further information on neighborhoods in that area. Courtney Pines sounds like a nice place. We do prefer to rent something newer. Thanks!

Old 10-22-2009, 06:54 AM

Also, can anyone tell me about Marsh Oaks?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Coastal North Carolina